• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Space Bar Hand Move & CMD-Space Zoom Not Working—CS5

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, all of a sudden, two of my most used functions—holding down the space bar to move the image around and holding down CMD-space bar to zoom—just up and quit on me (I do like the "Scrubby" but it took a little getting used to. It's very touch screen-esque).

I did all of the normal trouble shooting such as deleting the prefs, relaunching, restarting, etc. Nothing. The functions work fine in the other CS5 programs.

Anybody else come across this? I checked through all of the prefs thinking that perhaps I accidentally changed something but I couldn't find anything. If all else fails, I'll do an uninstall/reinstall but only as a last resort.

I did notice that Adobe finally fixed the Distort (in Full Screen Mode) bug that was killing me in CS4.

Thanks for any help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

Check the OS shortcuts in System Preferences, especially the keyboard->Keyboard Shortcut settings, and Universal Access.  The modifier spacebar keys are frequently used to change localized keyboard settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 111 Replies 111
Jun 11, 2010 Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Space bar and zoom keyboard modifiers stopped working for me again. Quitting FireFox does not bring them back...

The only way I can bring them back is to reboot my machine.

This really sucks. I hope they fix this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any other processes that are running flash other than Firefox? Hulu desktop reproduces this problem for me and quitting Hulu fixes it. I don't need to reboot my machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are optional MacOS shortcuts that use the spacebar and modifier-spacebar combinations (mostly in language/keyboard/IME switching, and SpotLight).

And other applications could be doing something similar to what Flash is doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2010 Jun 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if you only have Photoshop CS5 open after a fresh start and one does not have spotify on their system, and they are not using Safari or Firefox at that moment it should all work, right? I am not sure what you  (Chris Cox) are saying in your comment. Is there a solution some where? Are you still working on a solution? The "spacebar" short cut to the hand tool, is one of the most used function when retouching. At least for me. If there is no fix for that, CS5 will be only a plugin sort of, when I 'd like to use one of the new features of CS5, and CS4 will still be the main Software to use.

Is there not a possibility to program that function, as a new short cut?

Thanks and keep looking for the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't know of any problem in Photoshop.

So far customers have found other apps, or system preferences to be at fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoa!!! Wait a second!

While running PS CS4, I have no issues. If I quit PS CS4 and fire up PS CS5, I immediately have the spacebar issue. You are saying that this is the fault of the other programs? Sorry, but the only new variable is Adobe and therefore, the issue probably lays there.

And to clarify, running PS CS5 with Hulu causes the spacebar issue. Running PS CS4 with Hulu causes NO issues. Something happened with the move from CS4 to CS5 that caused the problem. Adobe, you, not other programs, broke it.

Sorry. It's hot here and I'm cranky.

rudy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new variable is that Photoshop CS5 is a Cocoa app, and some other apps and utilities misbehave with Cocoa apps/events in slightly different ways than they did Carbon apps.

Writing the app does tend to give me a bit more information about what is going on.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2010 Jun 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you that did narrow my app's down a bit. In my case it was the Quicken Scheduler of Quicken 2007. Never the less, I do think that there should be a warning or instructions, or better a fix of that problem. Programs should not run of the expense of others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2010 Jun 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far I stopped using Firefox and go with Safari - no problem so far. I use CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2011 Sep 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you use bridge and firefox?

if you start FF before Bridge you will have that issue in CS5. Close and restart FF after u start bridge.

G

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry, I didn't want to stir up angry comments. It looks like rudy713 has a point. Maybe without admitting any fault, you could please look into this and tell us what the difference in the two versions ( CS4 - CS5 ) regarding the spacebar issue is. Than we might be able to solve the problem on our machines, with different programs loaded, in different ways. Otherwise we might spend hours and hours on turning things on and off, to find yet a new program that does not want to play with the new CS5.

Your responds is very much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2011 Sep 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who have still been experiencing this problem and (like me) have been searching online for a solution...  I called Adobe to ask for help and they advised that I go to Macintosh HD/Users/(your user name)/Library/Preferences and remove two items: a folder named 'Adobe Photoshop CS5 Settings' and another file named 'com.adobe.Photoshop.plist'.  This is apparently a bit different to resetting Photoshop preferences at startup (by holding down alt, control and shift keys).  So far this has worked for me.

My understanding is that there are three Library folders on Mac computers so make sure that you follow the pathway that I've noted above.  You might have trouble seeing the above pathway in Finder if you have Lion installed, as it hides that folder.  If so, you need to unhide this using the Terminal application (found within the Utilities folder) and there is a tip on how to do this here: http://tarastips.net/2011/05/show-hidden-library-folder-in-mac-osx-lion/

Best of luck... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Helen,

this one finally did it for me. I deleted those prefs and settings, and my space bar came back to life. So obviously your trick did it in CS4 aswell.

I still do wonder: why isn´t Adobe able to fix it. I mean, really fix it. It´s a bug, it gets in my way and in your way almost every day, and as far as I can see here, it happens to quite some people with different settings. I´ve never ever had to deal with HULU. Or Last FM. I´m using browsers, but - hey, I´m a web-designer, so I have to. And funny enough: every post i read it seems to be another browser. Chrome, Firefox, even Safari turns up.

Best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....because the bug doesn't appear to be in Photoshop itself, but in something outside of Photoshop that we cannot detect, work around, or directly control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2010 Jun 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your CMD, CTRL space bar aren't working in CS5 and you use spotify. Switch Spotify off its the culprit

www.bigeyebrow.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2010 Jul 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having this same issue...  in my case it does it if Photoshop or Illustrator are the ONLY programs running..   I have

submitted multiple error reports.  This is happeneing on 3 systems in our studio, one is a

brand new 27" imac, another a 8 processor mac pro, and another is a quad mac pro..   ALL of them

do it while photoshop or illustrator is the ONLY thing running.  PLEASE find a fix for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2010 Jul 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone.

Just thought I would say that I was reading this thread earlier because I've been having exactly the same problem but with CS2(!!) on OSX 10.6.1

After reading all your comments I came home and have just tried launching Indesign, Photoshop and Illustrator without launching firefox and all was working fine. I then launched firefox and all remained fine until I loaded Googlemail. Then my caps lock key stopped changing to the 'cross' cursor, my cmd + space zoom and my space/hand navigation all stopped working in all CS applications. I logged out of Googlemail again and all was fine. I then launched Safari and ran logged into Googlemail from there and had no problems.

I recently had a new operating system and hard drive installed and frequently used Firefox/Googlemail/All CS2 programmes with no problems before this. Also I only just installed Firefox on my new system.

So from this I can deduce that it is a problem with firefox / googlemail / or possibly a combination of them with OSX 10.6.1???

Anyway, hope this is helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 29, 2010 Jul 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to know i am not the only one having this problem. I too have the spacebar shortcut issue not working. However I am on CS3, OSX 10.4.11, using FireFox 3.6.8. i recently updated FF, but i was having the same issue before the update. My space bar shortcut stops working in AI and ID (not necessarily at the same time). When i quit FF it comes back. when i restart FF with AI and ID still working, the spacebar remains working for awhile, then it will quit again later, then i would quit FF and it will come back. I do not use Google Mail, Flash, nor Hulu. i have not tried the Safari browswer to see if i can replicate the situation. i may try that later. hope this info helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2010 Aug 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

app.jpg

I had the same problem but I went to FireFox>Prefernces>Applications and changed the Content Types that refered to anything Adobe to "Always ask" and it seems to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 25, 2010 Oct 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has this been resolved...? No entires since August..

I have been having this issue for the past 6 months or so - on 3 different machines running 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6. It has happened to me in PS, ID and AI in CS3, CS4 and CS5...

Infuriating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I know. The function comes back when I turn off my web browser.

That is the only "work-around" that I have found.

Reply-To: <clearspace-910008417-749962-2-3230218@mail.forums.adobe.com>

Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 09:01:05 -0600

To: Conroy Lam <conroyl@americanroamer.com>

Subject: Space Bar Hand Move & CMD-Space Zoom Not

Working—CS5

Has this been resolved...? No entires since August..

I have been having this issue for the past 6 months or so - on 3 different

machines running 10.4, 10.5 and 10.6. It has happened to me in PS, ID and AI

in CS3, CS4 and CS5...

Infuriating!

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It hasn't been happening to me, though I have switched to Chrome as my primary browser

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2010 Dec 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had this happen on my machine after a couple of weeks of running CS5 now with no problems. Restarting Photoshop did not change anything, but restarting Firefox 4b did fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2010 Dec 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oddbeat, are you running Photoshop 12.0.2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2010 Dec 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I had been running 12.0.1. I didn't see that there was a newer version out. Updating to it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines