• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spherical Panorama changes colors and quality (2019 CC 20.00)

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After Photoshop update from CC 19.1.6 to CC 20.00 I've been experiencing problems with 3D panorama workflow.

When I create a new Spherical Panorama Object from equirectangular image, the colors of the newly created 3D Spherical map are different from the original. It looks like it changes gamma do darker one. Also the quality of the preview is very low compared to the CC 19.1.6.

I've tested it with graphics processor settings turned off and turned on with basic and advanced level.

I've also tried turning off 'Allow direct to screen' option but nothing seems to solve the problem.

My graphic card is nVidia Quadro K2000.

I had to revert to the previous version of PS, and everything went back to normal.

Does anyone experiencing silmilar issues with PS 2019?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I find myself having the same issue. I use to manage this files in Lightroom, where I do few adjustments before going any further into Ps.  I am still traying to find the source of this problem, but I have already find out few things.

• It only happens to .tiff or .psd files. This doesn´t happen in .jpeg!!
  • Opening the file from windows explorer, Lightroom (doesn't matter the way you choose to edit), Ps or Bridge deliver the same issue. When you go to spherical panorama everything looks as you described (or even worse)
  • If you open the file in Camera Raw from Bridge, and then press "open file" (whcih opens the file in Ps) This problem does not occur anymore. The image looks perfect in 3D spherical panorama and the adjustments you did previously in Camera Raw are saved.

It is a solution but I would prefer to be able to open the file from Lightroom with no issues. Hope somebody else knows more about the topic.

Greetings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open the image in Camera Raw first has worked for me. Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Digging I bit more into this thing I realized that the problem is 16bit images. When I open the file through Bridge, it does it as a 8bit image, like a .jpeg.

Now I am completely lost. There is any way to open this files in 16 bit as spherical panoramas???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I  am not at my PC at present so forgive me if I name a panel incorrectly, but try selecting Scene in the 3D panel and in the properties panel check linearise colours.

A bug was corrected in 3D in the v20 release. Previously linearise had to be unchecked on 16 bit which was not correct.

Edit : I am back in my office now and I can see that you cannot choose linearise colours from the Spherical Panorama menu, so cannot correct the color. This is an oversight in my view as it leaves you without a workaround.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Dave.

That property is not available when you create a 3d spherical panorama, at least in that panel. Actually, if I create a 3D object out of my equirectangular panorama, the colour issue is reproduced exactly the same way and is reverted by that property you mention. It is really annoying because neither the cloning stamp tool nor the healing brush works properly, and those are the tools I used in this mode.

I leave a screenshot of what I see in my 3d panel. This is how it looks my 3d and property panel... almost everything is greyed. You can imagine that this image is not supposed to look like that...

Any idea where can I find this same property you mention??

Nair

3D panels example.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I get for replying when I'm not in front of Photoshop     I have come across the color shift previously and corrected it with "linearise colors". However, like you say,  it is not available from a spherical panorama.

Like I said - I think this is an oversight / bug and will be worth raising at the link below

where the devlopment team will see it

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave. I really appreciate it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a couple of workarounds that you can consider.

1. If you still have it installed, Version 19.1.7 still does the conversion without colour shift.

2. Using v20.0.1 you can convert from 8/16 bits per channel to 32 bits/channel (Image >Mode) immediately before creating the spherical panorama.  When you have finished working and export the panorama, export it as PSD then convert back to 8/16 bit using Exposure & Gamma option. I have just tested it and no colour shift is introduced end to end by working that way.

I hope that helps you

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave. I don't have 19.1.7 instaled, but I went for the second option and It worked for me as well. There is no colour shift at all. As you said, it's important to use "Exposure & Gamma" when merging the image back to 16 bit.

The process makes the image heavier, which coming from a 65Mpx image put my memory at its limit, slowing down the process. But yet, it works. The healing brush does not work for 32bit images, but I can manage with the stamp tool.

Thanks a lot!!!!

Marcos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. It is with 16 bit photos only. Adobe help chat were completely bamboozled by it...
This needs bug reports submitted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

June 2019 and still not fixed 😞 - no editing of 16Bit/channel images with PS Sperical Panorama... weak performance...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

September 2019 and this issue still happens when I try to create simple spherical panorama (as in a single color). The quick workaround is to do a color overlay from the original color. It helps if it's already one of your foreground or background colors. 32 bit and 8 bit images don't seem to produce this issue. I thought I was going crazy till I saw your post. I did notice a similar behavior with photos (jpegs). I don't think there's a quick solution for those.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue. Not sure why this isn't solved yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 29, 2019 Sep 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I confirm the same issue when trying to edit 16-bit 360 images. A bummer if you wish to retain 16-bit for higher resolution master images for future use.  My workaround is to reduce to 8-bit before the final step of nadir edit thence output to JPG for internet use...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello , have you solved the problem? I have the same issue .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was told by Adobe it is a known bug with no scheduled timetable for correction and that we all should convert to 8-bit to avoid the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with 8-bit 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 2019, everything was sharp and clear 😞
In Version: 21.0.2, panoramas are blurred in 360 mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone find a resolution to this? Talking to Adobe they seem to think taking a 16bit image to 8bit is no big deal. Why would I spend money on a 1"x2 sensor camera to take a 8bit image and use that. They also said try to use a JPG. thats just as bad as using a 8bit TIFF in my opinion. I can only go back to 20.0.8 not that 21.x is out so I cant even use version 19.x 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a workaround for panoramas by importing the images in Lightroom first. Then select the images in lightroom and right click, selecting create panorama in Photoshop. It succeded in 6 cases where directly in Photoshop it failed...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That has not worked for me, exporting 16-bit TIFF from Lightroom directly into Photoshop, same problem happens if I use 16-bit into 3D module. I have to convert it to 8-bit first.  I am using Adobe latest apps versions on Mac OS Mojave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yupp. Its 26th of March 2020. So many years have passed and Adobe has still not been able to add full support for 16-bit 360 Panoramas.

Colour shift, patching tools not working as expected, etc. All these issues should have been resolved way back as the competitors like Affinity Photo have a proper workflow and support with latest features. No doubt why people are switching to other apps for photo editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same situation here and nothing as changed in the latest release. Please Adobe that's something you have to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same issue. Contacted support and he watched it on my machine and was able to repro on his. He told me it was because the color spaces or something and it is expected behavior. I was advised to export the file from LR to jpeg first, then open in PS. Useless as usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines