• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spinning beachball PS 2020

Explorer ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting a 2-3 sec spinning beach ball on every function; crop tool, brush, save... even trying get a spinning beach ball when I select photoshop/about

I am only having issues with photoshop.

I reset preferences and all is good for about an hour then the spinning beach ball starts again.  

I have verified fonts, deleted Font cache

PS 21.1.3  

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019), 10.15.5

3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

Radeon Pro Vega 48 8 GB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

This does sound odd.

The first area that I suggest checking is to make sure you have enough RAM allocated and the Graphic Processor is checked. These are both listed under Photoshop > Preferences > Performance. You might also want to reset all defaults listed under Preferences > General. warmly/j 

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 6.59.32 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This does sound odd.

The first area that I suggest checking is to make sure you have enough RAM allocated and the Graphic Processor is checked. These are both listed under Photoshop > Preferences > Performance. You might also want to reset all defaults listed under Preferences > General. warmly/j 

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 6.59.32 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked!

I just rest all of my preferences (yes I had to go back in a change everything back to normal) but this seemed to have solved it.

I have a feeling that PS imports the prefs from previous versions during install and there is a conflict.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found the "guilty" pref, wich caused the beach ball lag. For me it was the User/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings/MachinePrefs.psp . I deleted it, and the beach ball lag has gone! This way all my settings remained.
Thanks for the tip to chuckszachta for resetting preferences!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2020 Oct 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly I am back to using 2018 again. This versions was still beach balling in a variety of scenarios, too many to list here. I will try the "MachinePrefs.psp" file and see if that helps. Let us know how you are doing a few days in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still all good. I don't know deleting the "MachinePrefs.psp" works for everybody, but for me this helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting "MachinePrefs.psp" worked for a while, maybe 25hrs, just redeleted and will try again.  It is an odd issue because once it starts it affects most functions.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

BAM. That worked for me too, Dom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this fix. You have saved me hours of frustration at work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the "MachinePrefs.psp" did not work for me. I also allocatied 70% of my ram to Photoshop, dropped my history state count- down to 80(just for good measure), but still getting a beach ball. I did transfer my settings/preferences from the previous version of PS, so I will try resetting my preferences. Wish me luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My machine specs just for reference for anyone who can help. Thank you.Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 4.59.12 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: Fixed the issue after resetting preferences and relaunching PS. Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For Photoshop 2021,

Preferences > General > Reset Preferences on Quit

Did the trick and solved the spinning ball lag for me.

Thanks for the thread!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS worked for me too:

I've found the "guilty" pref, wich caused the beach ball lag. For me it was the User/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings/MachinePrefs.psp . I deleted it, and the beach ball lag has gone! This way all my settings remained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines