• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spinning wheel of death immediately after setting a layer style (iMac Pro)

Explorer ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lately photoshop has been giving me massively long beach balls after creating a layer style with a couple of effects. I'm using a baseline iMac Pro (10.13.4) with the latest version of Photoshop CC. This is just one of many in the string of issues with Adobe CC on an iMac Pro. This is a super frustrating bug does anybody have a solution or must we pray to the adobe gods to fix this???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, could you please post a screenshot with the layers style showing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure however the behavior seems very erratic, sometimes setting a layer style works without lag, other times it does. Im not sure if its tied to a specific layer style setting or just using layer styles at all but when it does happen its always directly after pressing "OK" on the layer styles. This time it happened to this layer with very minimal edits to layer styles. layer style lag.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be related to setting a gradient style as thats whats happening again right now....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, try to pinpoint the exact cause before we can process it further. Running other apps? system monitor or another program like Istats menu to monitor the spike in real tim?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done the usual steps, (restart photoshop, restart computer, reset preferences, etc) but the bug still persists. Its now happened over a dozen times today and is very frustrating as I have to just sit here and wait or force quit and hope autosave caught my latest work. This is a big problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

How much free Ram space do you have on your iMac Pro currently?

Sim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heres a screenshot of the current ram usage from iStat menus while running photoshop still encountering the bug. ram pic.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screen shot of the pref's - performance tab and advanced tab open.  Thanks

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

performance.pngadvanced.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncheck use Graphics processor and try this again.  Thank you

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, will update once I've tested it for a little.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright well I was hopeful that that work around would fix things but I have encountered the issue again even with use graphics processing unchecked. =/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

In Performance set these like so :

History State : 50

Cache Level : 4

Cache Tile Size : 1024

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What size is the file you are working with and how much scratch disk space do you have on hand?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File size isn't the issue as this bug can be recreated on brand new documents that aren't even 1mb. latest Photoshop update (19.1.4) has not fixed this issue. May be related solely to those on iMac Pros. Very pathetic how poor the performance of the adobe apps has been on this machine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am now having this same issue. When I am in photoshop and I try to move something, bring something in, anything then I get the spinning wheel and it doesn't stop. I've tried to restart, delete, reinstall photoshop and I'm still getting this issue. Can anyone help me? 

I'm on a brand new mac air computer using 2021 photoshop. So this really shouldn't be happening. Can anyone advise? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Kaitlin, is it on Ps22.3? can you copy the GPU info from help>system info?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines