Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 6

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 12 MB

Memory: 32 GB

MacOS: Mojave Version 10.14

Just installed Photoshop and noticed that whenever I'm using the brush tool with a mask it lags and I get a 1-2 sec spinning wheel while painting/drawing...especially for continuous painting. Just to be sure this was the only time this was occurring I make a blank document and painted over the background. No lag, no spinning wheel. Duplicated the layer and created a mask. Spinning wheels when I used the brush tool.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven’t been able to make such an observation yet.

What have you done about Performance and trouble-shooting in general yet?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/optimize-photoshop-cc-performance.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing it too unfortunately.  Usually if I'm painting for 3-5 seconds continuously.  Quick brushes don't seem to do it.  I had the same issue with CC 2018 after I installed OS Mojave, and the fix was to make sure Photoshop was listed in the settings for Accessibility>Privacy as an app allowed to control the computer.  I checked to make sure 2019 was and it is...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems unlikely but does checking Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Legacy Compositing make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked c.pfaffenbichler​! thank you    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is no "legacy" under performance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this worked for me, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not able to repro the slowdown.  However.  I had not been using a Wacom and had to install their driver on my 10.14 OS.  The first time I went to use my stylus, I was prompted to add two Wacom helper applications to the Security & Privacy panel's Accessibility list.  In my list I now see ConsumerTouchDriver and PenTabletDriver which I have checked "on". 

Note, without these checked, I don't get any stylus operation at all, so this may not be helpful in speeding up slow painting.  I mean, if it works at all then Wacom probably already has access to the Accessibility feature.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out this link. Known issues - Running Photoshop CC on macOS 10.14 Mojave

The first solution in the link might help.  Hopefully.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the advice for 2018 will not help on Photoshop CC 2019.  CC 2019 uses the accessibility feature in a different way that does not request or require special privileged access. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This worked. You have saved me a great deal of angst.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for people experiencing this problem, if convenient, could you use activity viewer to "sample" Photoshop while you are seeing the slow painting and post results here?  That would help us understand what code is involved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same problem. What do you mean by 'using activity viewer'?

I have a screenshot taken with my phone, since it doesn't show up on screenshots...IMG_0710.JPG

This was while using the clone stamp tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, should have said Activity Monitor, the Apple process inspector application. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

specifically, I meant use Activity Monitor, the Apple process inspector to do execution sampling.  After selecting the Adobe Photoshop CC 2019, use "Sample Process" under the gear menu to start sampling.  Perform the operation in Photoshop that exhibits the slowness.  When the sampling is complete, use Save... in the upper right of the display window to save the measurement.  The result shows where in the program Photoshop is spending its time. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel stupid for asking, but how do I upload/attach the sample report? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm, not sure how to upload files here.  Can you share a dropbox or other cloud link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not OP, but here's my sys specs and the link to the sample:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Iet_0v2rK_p5EWjJrLvxcOVY8LvrkSiH

Sys specs:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac14,3

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2,9 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: IM143.0130.B00

SMC Version (system): 2.17f7

Serial Number (system): DGKM40E3F8J8

Hardware UUID: 6DAF5956-082C-545D-A317-07E66CE39ABF

Running latest Mojave and Wacom drivers.

This is my home computer, but have exactly the same problem at work, where I use a more powerful setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing that would be helpful for us to see is if there is any Console output occurring when you see the spinning (wait) cursor.

To check, launch the Console app from Applications/Utilities and then watch the system log. Are there any notifications happening from either Photoshop or the Windows Server when the problem occurs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The system.log stays completely empty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's another thing to try (thanks by the way for your valuable help).  Could you try disabling our new accelerated CompCore?  To do that check Preferences => Performance => Options / Legacy Compositing.  Then try your "slow" case again and see if there is any difference. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, thank you for your help!

The problem persists even when using Legacy Compositing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a video of the problem if it's of any help.

It seems to appear after a few seconds, slow or fast, it doesn't make a difference.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BKYbqHoDTNC1beG1mRW_mlYZfDsYTyem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the vid and your other assistance.  it helps me understand what you're talking about.  Unfortunately, I do not know what is causing it.  We're tracking the bug now, if we make progress someone will reply here.  If you learn anything more or things change, please add more info here, I'll see it.  thanks again, and sorry for the difficulty. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem, thank you for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines