Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

Processor Speed: 3.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 6

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 12 MB

Memory: 32 GB

MacOS: Mojave Version 10.14

Just installed Photoshop and noticed that whenever I'm using the brush tool with a mask it lags and I get a 1-2 sec spinning wheel while painting/drawing...especially for continuous painting. Just to be sure this was the only time this was occurring I make a blank document and painted over the background. No lag, no spinning wheel. Duplicated the layer and created a mask. Spinning wheels when I used the brush tool.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating the Wacom driver to 6.3.31.5 didn't make any difference for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Starman,

that's the reason why I deleted my response. First it worked on a smaller image and when working on a real big one the spinning wheel was back. Truly frustrating! Sorry for the confusion. Still I do not observe the same issue when working with the touch-pad, just maybe I'm working slower with a touch-pad then with a pen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has the resent update done anything for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't change a thing for me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a frustrating mess, even 20.0.1 only repaired the flaw in the new context sensitive fill, the spinning wheel is shown in all its distracting "beauty". Turning off the "Preserve details 2.0 Upscale" in Technology Preview doesn't make any difference. The only one thing which seemingly works is turning off the rulers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After applying the 20.0.1 update, you will need to do the following for macOS 10.14.1 (in order to mitigate the skinny cursor issue when using brush tools):

You will need to run the following command from the Terminal app:

defaults write -g PhotoshopForceLegacyPaintMode -bool Yes

Then you have enable Photoshop in System Preferences > Security > Accessibility

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be a bit more specific on how to run a command from the Terminal app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Mac OS X navigate to \Applications\Utilities\Terminal - double click Terminal to launch it.

Then enter the command: defaults write -g PhotoshopForceLegacyPaintMode -bool Yes

Then be sure to go to System Preferences and add Photoshop CC 2019 to the list in Security > Accessibility

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last login: Thu Nov 15 09:19:07 on console

[Mac-Pro:~] cbarnes% -g PhotoshopForceLegacyPaintMode -bool Yes

-g: Command not found.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you need to type the entire command:

"defaults write -g PhotoshopForceLegacyPaintMode -bool Yes"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to do the trick.

Now is this a MacOs or an Adobe issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, Mojave 10.14.1 and PS CC 20.0.1 is not a fix, the spinning wheel of frustration is still there when using the eraser (at least)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a bit annoying. This doesn't help you, but I tried using the eraser, various brushes, clone stamp, etc. and all is still working fine with no buffering issues. Did you also try optimizing file handling and so forth that others have posted? If so, and all still doesn't work ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  I hope Adobe is able to get this resolved, as there's obviously a lot of people with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the same problem. Someone pointed me on turning off the rulers. That solved the problem for me. When I use the brush tool with the rulers turned one, I have the spinning balls problem, but when I turn off the rulers, the spinning balls do not appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help and your suggestion. is a best choise and the problem is temporary ok. we attend a resolve issue with Adobe staff.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Adam, that was helpful! The Terminal command did the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

But before I do that just two quick questions:

1. Is this the official fix or will there be a official fix in an later update??

2. What if I want to undo this command line? Should I replace the yes with a no in "defaults write -g PhotoshopForceLegacyPaintMode -bool Yes"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the fix we have in-hand for now, but we may refine it in the future.

To revert to the default configuration:

Run the following command from the Terminal:

defaults delete -g PhotoshopForceLegacyPaintMode

Then remove Photoshop from System Preferences > Security > Accessibility

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.

Do I have to do this first command line even if PS CC 19 is showing up in Preferences > Security > Accessibility and the box is checked?

And what about "Is this the official fix or will there be a official fix in a later update??".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but lost track in the thread as to why we are running this command is terminal. Is this to get rid of the busy brush-spinning wheel? Cause the "skinny cursor" lost me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in OSX 10.14.2, with PS2018 and PS2019 installed, both with the same spinning wheel problem even if I don't use my wacom. Everything started with me with PS2019, even before I had Mojave. I updated to Mojave hoping that it would fix, but it didn't.

Strangely enough PS2018 was working fine before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with clone brush and switching back to Legacy Compositing and any other methods are not helpful. I wish the problem could be fixed asap as retouching is simply impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've experienced the same problem and i found a "temporary solution" to not get the busy icon when drawing using the brush or any tool in this case. All you have to do for now is hide the ruler (CMD+R or cntrl+R). This seems to solve the loading icon problem, at least it did for me. Im running Adobe Photoshop 2019 on a MacBook Pro 2017 model using iOS 10.14.

Hopefully this solution helps out you guys for the time being. Im waiting for Adobe to update this with a patch. I also seem to have problems using my Wacom intuos tablet ever since i updated to Movaje . You guys having the same problems? Wacom needs to adres problem asap as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines