Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

splitting image to print

New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

so i have my design which i have resized to 9" x 11" and saved it as a png file with 300dpi as i want to print this to my t shirt.

my printer will only print pages max 8.2" x 11.6 so i want to split the image into 2 peices then join them together at the press.

i used the slice tool to create 2 equal slices, loaded one peice into photoshop and checked image size, it showed the resolution as 72 is it possible to keep the high resolution in the sliced part of the image.

i watched a guide on youtube using inkspace where you create 2 rectangles to the size of your printer max page settings place them over the image then copy the image and the 2 rectangles,  remove 1 rectangle from each copy and clip the other rectangle which removes the part of the image that i have just removed the rectangle from and print, i kinda like this method but dont like having to use 2 different programes.

so is it possible to use photoshop to split my image into 2 and print at  300dpi, or is the part of the image ive sliced that says resolution 72 even something to worry about?

any help greatly appreciated

Lee

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your printer may have a reason to print pages max 8.2 x 11.6. Therefore, it would be a good to discuss the idea of joining two images on press with your printer to find out if they are willing or able to do that.

Instead of using slices you could duplicate the layer.

Make a selection on one of the layers and delete the selected area.

Activate the other layer. Choose Select > Inverse, and delete that portion of the layer.

Select File > Export > Layers to Files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you exporting for web  (Export As and Save for Web (Legacy) they save at 72PPI?

Use Save a Copy (if you have the latest version of Photoshop).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @leeleelelee  

The Slice tool was created for web graphics so each "section" of the image could be optimized separately and put back together in a table in HTML. Don't use it here.

In Photoshop, you can create guides, then crop the image twice: once for each section. The two sections should overlap by about a half an inch. If my math is correct, you only need to worry about the 9" width that your printer can't do — you'll be okay with the height.

Instead of the Crop tool, I would do this:

• Rectangle Marquee tool > set a fixed size > create selection for left half > Image menu > Crop > Save As...
  • In the original image: Shift + Drag the selection marquess to the right > Image menu > Crop > Save As...
  • Reset the Selection Marquee tool to select at any size for future use
  • Be sure to keep the original artwork

Photoshop does not have Tiling as a print function. In both InDesign and Acrobat you can simply choose to Tile the image, but in Photoshop it's a manual process.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi thanks for the replys.

it seems the easiest way for me to do this at the minute is how the first comment suggested, i basically make 2 copys of my png,make a selection of where i want the cut to be,delete half, then go to the 2nd copy, invert selection and delete that half,that way i know both layers will join together, then i just close the image and dont save so it stays as 1 image,but im thinking now that i could save them as that way i dont have to mess about when i need to do another print.

in regards to the massive dpi downgrade from 300 to 72 i was making my design then saving it as "export > quick png its only today ive noticed whilst trying to resize my png files that the resolution was at 72

so im going through my designs and now when i save im choosing the save as > png and that seems to be keeping the resolution high

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, as I said those methods of exporting are designed to have a resolution of 72PPI. For printing you need a resolution of around 200 to 300PPI and with Save a Copy (in the latest version or Save As in earlier versions) will allow that, assuming you have optimised the image to that resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@leeleelelee wrote:

i basically make 2 copys of my png,make a selection of where i want the cut to be,delete half, then go to the 2nd copy, invert selection and delete that half,that way i know both layers will join together,

You can't simply invert your selection. You need to have the half inch overlap.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Select the left half of your image in a normal Layer 50% width 100% height

Ctrl+X cut the left half.

Ctrl+V paste left half in as a new upper layer

Ctrl+A Select All

Target Both Layers

Align Layer to selection left.

Image Trim to remove the transparent area.

Print your two 4.5" x 11" 300PPI  layers one at a time. 

Capture.jpg

You can save the document as a PSD for future use.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines