• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spot healing brush not working.

Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2011 Dec 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Photoshop CS5 at home on my iMac.  Everything works beautifully....including my MUCH used 'spot healing brush'.  IE: I know how to use it and do so frequently.

Well, I just got a Macbook Air for Christmas and have loaded my 2nd copy of Photoshop CS5 onto it and for some strange reason my spot healing brush with content aware fill is not working!

It draws the normal 'black line', does it's 'thinking', but when it is done thinking (evaulating), the line simply stays black.  No 'content aware' fix.

What the heck??

Everything else works (clone, patch, etc), but not that.

Any ideas anyone?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and yes.  I have "Content Aware" selected and "Sample All Layers" checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Healing Brush works fine as well.  Yes, I am in 'Normal Mode' and yes, my opacity is at 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 28, 2011 Dec 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing!

Also, I noticed that when I first intitilize the tool, it works for one stroke, then stops working.  Weird, huh?

After that it just leaves that 'temporary' black line, permenantl.Healing Brush.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your copy of Photoshop updated to version 12.0.4?  Is your OS up to date?

Have you Repaired Permissions with Apple's Disk Utility? 

Have you tried trashing Photoshop preferences?  To re-create the preferences files for Photoshop, start the application while holding down Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS). Then, click Yes to the message, "Delete the Adobe Photoshop Settings file?"

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  Yes.  No.

It is a brand new laptop, so repairing permissions didnt' occur to me.  But what the heck, I'll give it a try.

No, didn't try trashing the preferences.  Good idea.

Nope, didn't try that last one either.

I will try the repair and re-creating the pref now though. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Just repaired permissions and re-created Photoshop preferences.

It didn't work.  😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, hope you have a sufficiently large, physically separate hard drive set as your primary Photoshop scratch disk.  Figure on 30 to 50 times the size of your largest file ever, or even larger.  As an example, my primary scratch disk is on a second internal 160 GB hard drive.  Others have much larger scratch drives.

How much RAM?  How much hard drive space left on your boot volume?

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait!  Does your iMac have the nefarious Intel integrated graphics?  Are you running Lion (10.7.x)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scratch disk?  You mean an external HD?  No, I loaded Photoshop onto my new MacBook air as my travel copy.  However, realizing it's limitations, I am only working very small files with minimal layers.  No RAW files or anything.  Just some simply .jpgs.  At my house I am running Photoshop on a TB harddrive and doing far more heavy work.

Everything else in Photoshop is working beautifully, snappy, and with no problems.  I dare to say even faster then my 27" iMac with 8 GB of RAM and a TB drive I have at home.

If it were a memory problem, I would think I would be running into all sorts of problems, not a simply glitch.

Software  Mac OS X Lion 10.7.2 (11C74)

Model Identifier:          MacBookAir4,1

Processor Name:          Intel Core i5

Processor Speed:          1.6 GHz

Number of Processors:          1

Total Number of Cores:          2

L2 Cache (per Core):          256 KB

L3 Cache:          3 MB

Memory:          4 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, unfortuantly, the Macbook Air comes with only:

Graphics  Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Integrated.

But like I said, this is a travel computer.

Again, let me stress, Photoshop is running VERY fast on this little unit.  Impressively so.  I wasn't sure it could handle it at all, but it is doing a fantastic job.  I'd say it moves even faster then my home computer (see above).

This problem appears to be a glitch, is it performs MUCH more complicated algorithims - including other content aware actions - without a hiccup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

phottonutt wrote:

Yes, unfortuantly, the Macbook Air comes with only:

Graphics  Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Integrated.

I apologize for not catching that earlier.  My bad.

All bets are off, then.  

Sorry.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reports of nasty bugs introduced by Lion in connection with the Intel integrated graphics are too numerous to know where to begin.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the first computer I have owned in YEARS that has integrated graphics.  I hate them.  But with how little I will be using it, I didn't want to spend huge amounts of money.

Considering the problems you say are being reported, I suppose I should feel lucky this is the only bug I have come across. 

Fortuantly there are numerous other tools I can use as it's replacement, alebiet not as quick and easy for some fixes.

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

phottonutt wrote:

…but it is doing a fantastic job.  I'd say it moves even faster then my home computer (see above)…

Yeah, well, I'm no fan of the iMacs either.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I haven't had any problems with my iMac yet.  I've owned it I guess almost 2 yrs now.  So far so good, even with Lion.  I run 3 TB HD off of it (1. photos, 2. movies, 3. backup) and it also houses a TB.  I DID double the 4GB of RAM it came with after I upgraded to Lion though.  Before the upgrade it could not handle the load.

I LOVE Macs, and the iMac was in my spending budget. 

Maybe next time I can level up.  LoL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines