Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Startup fotoshop takes minutes

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Since yesterday startup Photoshop takes a very long time (4 minutes) I got a splash screen saying 'reading preferences'. I already removed my preferences once, and reinstall the program but this does not helps.

I have this problem since I tried something out in brdige/camera raw

Does any one have any idea what went wrong (and maybe how I can fix this?)

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Thank you for taking the time to share that thread, seriously! It prompted me to investigate my graphics card's driver settings. Updating to the newest Studio version of the NVIDIA driver not only fixed the problem, but it seems to open faster than before and handle files better. I'd call that a good outcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please send specs - Specific PS version, Operating System, RAM, Available HD space, Video Card, VRAM, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,

Below you find specs of the machine. Please note that nothing reache 100% usage in task manager. (ram max. 60% at the moemnt the problem occurs)

I realy think it has something to do with camera raw. I read an article about 'super resolution' in Camera raw and I tried it out.  Photoshop startted up automatically when I tried this out and from than on realy slow... 

I Also looked to the logging of Photoshop, but log file is created before it starts wating for 'something'. I found some sugestions (this forum) to start photoshop with SCHIFT (and disable plugins) or ALT + CTRL + SHIFT but none of these tricks works. (I don't have a plugin in photoshop)

Specs of my mahcine:

- RAM 16gb
- hdd 1TB ssd
- Graphical card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
- Processor: Intel Core i7 i7-10750H (8 cores)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin,

I forgot the photoshop version in my previous reply: Adobe Photoshop-versie: 22.3.1 20210406.r.122 990be2c x64

Available disk space ==> 625 GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try downgrading your camera raw plugin and see if that resolves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no success.... I completely removed it as described here https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw/cant-uninstall-camera-raw/m-p/10590807  but Photoshop still takes minutes and minutes to startup...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A reboot is always good. Removing Adobe camera did the trick (I just had to reboot first)

I think I will leave Camera raw for what it is. 'Super resolution' feature seems cool but it takes me multiple houres to fix Photoshop again.

Just wonder what the real cause was... but I guess I will never known...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this problem! Photoshop takes 4-5 minutes to open. Seems to work normally once it is open, but I've been saving copies instead of saving over existing files just in case.
Problem started yesterday for me as well. Restarts and typical troubleshooting did not resolve it, neither did the PS CC update today.
I did absolutely nothing at all out of the ordinary yesterday or the day before. Just opened PSDs I'd opened dozens of times before. Didn't touch anything to do with bridge or camera raw. Has there been some sort of updated feature that might be at the root of this problem? Other Adobe programs and all other software I've tried on my PC seem to be working just fine.

PS CC version 22.3.1|
PC Specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
NVIDIA GeForce RTX2070 SUPER
32 GB RAM (Photoshop is allotted 55% of this.) 
1TB SSD + 2GB HDD (Over half the main 1TB HD is free.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your system should chew through Photoshop.

Have you guys tried other things like managing the page file size (don't do this unless you research and know what you're doing) or shutting System Restore off? Either can help with resources a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally it does chew through Photoshop!
The only other issue I've had with Photoshop on this PC was when I previously got a bit overzealous last month and allotted it 75% of my RAM budget to see if that would reduce brush lag on larger digital pieces, which was just too much for the system if it was actually hitting that cap. Fixed that, and it's been generally running just fine at 55% RAM, even with huge files, though I specifically try to keep file size down. More conservative RAM usage than I probably need it to be. And nothing has changed in the past few days. System Restore has been on for ages without casing an issue; out of curiosity, what sort of issues *could* System Restore be causing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

System Restore isn't exactly a resource hog but I've never been a fan of utilties that hold your hand, being a DIY'er myself. (All my critical documents are backed up off-system, so if something goes horribly wrong, I can just format and start fresh.) To me, that's space my system could use.

I'm glad you got it sorted, though.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I found a lot of information about this topic. (while I had the problem...)

Did you install plugins in Photoshop? maybe you can open Photoshop with SHIFT en disable plugins for one single run (just to see if it goes faster) I found this here https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/photoshop-cc-extremely-slow-startup/td-p/7154255 (I have no plugins installed, so it was not a sollution for me)

I don't know if you use camera-raw... but if you don't maybe just rename the file C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats\Camera Raw.8bi and restart your computer. If it doesn't help then you can rename it back to it's original name. If it helps then you have the same problem as I have...  

I don't know howto get DEBUG logging from Photoshop. Photoshop is running (and uses CPU) but log file does not change once Photoshop 'hangs'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I'll investigate that and see if anything in that thread helps!

I've never used Camera Raw for anything, to my knowledge. And I don't currently have any plugins enabled. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to share that thread, seriously! It prompted me to investigate my graphics card's driver settings. Updating to the newest Studio version of the NVIDIA driver not only fixed the problem, but it seems to open faster than before and handle files better. I'd call that a good outcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines