• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Step Backward keyboard shortcut not working, infurating!

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running the latest Photoshop CS6 on Mac and the Step Backward keyboard shorcut does not work at all. Command-Z works fine; Command-Option-Z does nothing. I don't believe I'm running any custom keyboard apps that would interfere, and when I check Photoshop's Keyboard Shortcuts it's right there (correctly set as the default). Has anyone else run into this problem before? Thanks for any insights!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2013 Mar 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one else has experienced this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2013 Mar 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really haven't heard of this problem here on the forum.  Control - Alt - Z works fine on my PC system.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 02, 2013 Apr 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I'm seeing the same behavior.  I took a look at the keyboard shortcut and it is still the set like it should work (i.e., Command-Option-Z).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just installed CS6. Having the same Ctrl+Alt+Z issue on my PC.

The step back command in keyboard shortcuts is set to command is set to Ctrl+Alt+Z.

Absolutely driving me nuts.

-pwp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2013 May 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Do you have a third party application that is running in the background that might steal that shortcut? What is strange is two of you use mac, another uses a PC.

Are you trying with regular layers, on linear history?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case it does seem to be related to the "mode" that photoshop is in. Occasionally it seems to work and other times it does not but I'm not experienced enough with CS6 to correlate when it does/does-not work with what I'm operating on.  Could you please elaborate on "regular layers" and "linear history" and when the keyboard shortcut should be expected to work and when it won't?  Also if you have any explanation on why it behaves differently when operating on different things or at different times that would help me and I suspect others as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

alti2d, Step Backward and Step Forward are not availabe in Transform mode and Type-editing mode, for example. Notice that they are grayed-out in the Edit menu when they do not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bulls-eye! The culprit is the handy little utility Mouse Without Borders  from Microsoft Garage.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=35460

I work on two identically specced PC's right next to each other, and this utility was very handy but not essential.

Mouse Without Borders is disabled and Ctrl+Alt+Z works as advertised.

Just for the exercise I'll give  Input Director a test drive...

Thanks!

-pwp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably already know all about it, but consider hooking all the monitors up to one system then using Remote Desktop to control the other(s).  I've been doing this for decades.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Noel,

More than just about anyone else, you're the guy who walked me kicking and screaming into digital sensibilities via the once excellent and much lamented Rob Galbraith forums. Thanks!

I used to do as you suggested, but having two identically specced PC's has  important functions in my studio. An assistant can work right next to me to speed through a project, I can roll to my left to PC-2 when PC-1 is doing a long, resourse intensive batch process. Vitally, if one system goes down, I can just roll across and keep working with very little lost work as all work is being saved pretty much on the fly to a very fast & secure Synology NAS. This setup saved my backside just one week ago. I've learned the hard way that major system crashes are not just a possibility, they're a certainty. Thus, my insurance...

-pwp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait...did you mean hooking all the monitors up to one system or hooking all the systems up to one monitor?

-pwp

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't realize you were going for an "instant switchover" kind of redundancy.  My comment may not apply as well, but...

I have my main workstation with two monitors, and another system across the room with a super-cheap monitor on it (and connected with gigabit Ethernet).  When I need to use that other system I don't go across the room - I just use Remote Desktop to log into it, and it takes over my right monitor.  With the high speed networking, it's as interactive as if I were working directly on it.

HOWEVER, Intensive GPU operations (such as what Photoshop does) don't really come across via Remote Desktop.  If you have graphics-intensive work (which I don't really do on the second system; it's a server), my suggestion really doesn't apply well.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2013 Oct 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloading latest version from Adobe worked for me. Try this before throwing away preferences. It could save your customisations and therefore a lot of time and angst.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2014 Aug 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem when i was running an app called spectacle (allows you to move windows around screens with keyboard shortcuts). As soon as i disabled spectacle the shortcuts worked again on photoshop.

So, i suppose my suggestion would be to check you are not running any global apps that take-over keyboard shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2015 Jan 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! After reading this I turned off spectacle and now all photoshop shortcuts are working. By chance have you found a work around so that you can have spectacle running and photoshop running without these issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2015 Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spectacle did the same for me... Disabled it and everything works like before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2015 Feb 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spectacle was the "issue" for me as well. Go into its Preferences and hit the "x" next to the Undo and Redo to clear the hotkeys for those functions (or simply remap them).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2016 Feb 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had same problem, found the solution.  Command option Z is the shortcut, but I found it does not work if pressed all 3 together (at same time).

It worked when I pressed Command, then option, then Z last.   Hopefully this works for you too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2016 Mar 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mine is the opposite, command+z does nothing and command+option+z worked. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines