• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support for native full-screen mode on macOS

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2011 Jul 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must say that full screen apps is a wonderful idea. I can start in such a way some of the apple apps (safari, imail, numbers) - I like switching between them. It will be desirable to enable this option for Ligtroom & Photoshop (both CS and Elements) to behave in similar way under new Mission Control stuff...

Idea Under review
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 12, 2016 Aug 12, 2016
As of versions 6.6 and CC2015.6, this is supported in Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 28, 2012 Mar 28, 2012
I thought I'd take a moment to outline OS X's fullscreen mode in relation to Photoshop's Full Screen Modes and explain why we stuck with our Full Screen Mode:

Here's the short story: If we replace Photoshop's Full Screen mode with the native 10.7 full screen mode, then our users will loose the following functionality:

• The ability to use multiple displays while in fullscreen mode

• The ability to switch between different document windows while in fullscreen mode

This in not something our long...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 386 Replies 386
386 Comments
Advisor ,
Jan 30, 2015 Jan 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The biggest fact that HAS changed is we are now at OS X v10.11 ... 10.7 is an afterthought at this point. Other developers are not only listening to users about Full Screen mode in OS X ... they are embracing it. These other developers also have far fewer resources and do not measure their revenue in increments of billions of dollars.

One has to marvel at the difference in attitude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OSX 10.10 actually, but your point still stands. When the official response was first given, a good chunk of third party apps did not support this feature, but now most do. It's really expected at this point, and Adobe stands out like a sore thumb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the typo ... it was supposed to be 10.10.1 ... though 10.10.2 was just released 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2015 Mar 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mean, we're on Yosemite now and I'm using 3 monitors with individual full screen apps with no issues. Yet again my Adobe software is the only thing that lingers on my desktops because I can't full screen and organize them as I want in Mission Control. The benefits are plenty and there's no harm to existing people using the software, they can just choose to not use it. With that much of a gap since Lion, it's time to implement this basic feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 08, 2015 May 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since OS X Mavericks supports multiple displays for the native fullscreen mode, it would be very cool if all the Adobe products also support the native fullscreen mode. At least as optional feature for those who can work without the few features which would get lost due to the native fullscreen mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 08, 2015 May 08, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, we need someone to re-assess this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I smell more 'knowledge-bashing' incoming from some of the Adobe staff members. Won't mention any names, but y'know. Don't expect this feature anytime soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2015 May 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have some source for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread, alongside many others that aren't implemented are great sources. Some team members seem to go out of their way to bash ideas made by the community.

Remember that this thread opened 4 years ago when Lion first supported full-screen apps. It was deemed "uncooperative with Adobe's full screen modes", which at the time it was. However, even after all of the qualms have been remedied (like the option to do full screen on multiple monitors with individual controls), many replies to have it implemented are just met with "No, you're clearly wrong and I'm right" replies.

For a company on the forefront of digital production software, it's disappointing to see support so weakly implemented. At the least, they can balance and consider people's suggestions instead of shutting them down instantly. Or you know, if you have to shut down some ideas (because there really are unnecessary ones), don't be a know-it-all snob about it. Just saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 12, 2015 May 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's gotten to the point where having all of these Adobe applications open together on my desktop is really starting to mess with my workflow, so I'm doing all of my work in one program, then opening another to transfer. I feel like I'm copy/pasting into Paint on Windows 95 or something equally tedious.

WWDC is coming up in a month too, how are we still lingering on this issue? All of the qualms from the official answer have been fixed or could be easily solved by offering dual-functionality. Give us a Mac full screen option in the green button and keep Adobe's full screen option for those who don't use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2015 Jun 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this? Every time a dialogue window (like "New...") opens on the wrong monitor (which is quite often), it reminds me of how much I miss this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2015 Jun 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool, now OS X El Capitan is coming out with even more useful features revolving around the full-screen feature. Can't wait to see what the next reason is for not being able to implement this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotta love the customer service around here. $40/month to get told you're wrong when asking to implement a feature that even the oldest of apps are implementing. We'll be passing OS X El Capitan soon, folks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't be too hard on them. At least they are adopting metal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't feel I'm being hard on them, it's a request that's been heavily asked for since Lion came out, and the only reasons given are either that Adobe's full screen mode is better, and/or that our opinions are wrong entirely. If anything, I think Adobe's being too hard on its paying customers.

It's been clearly shown that if they wanted to keep veteran users using the full screen mode, they'd just have to implement both and give us the option to choose. I've actually been working more on my PC since Mission Control is such a mess. It's really been impeding on my workflow, as it clearly has for many others. It's just time for Adobe to get off their throne and realize that their option isn't always the best one.

But yes, also give credit where it's due. Incorporation of Metal will make things much smoother.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2015 Jun 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you imagine now though? Either El Capitan's multi-app feature will place a shared Mission Control on one side, or it won't work at all since Adobe software can't have its own screen. I don't know which is worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2015 Jul 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen the discussion since Lion, and the answers, and I will still say: Why no full screen mode in Yosemite? It's against the Apple UI to have the window NOT expanding to full screen, when clicking the green window button—and it's no go to have the dock showing when editing things in photoshop on a 13' MacBook. Well, the answers: You can do full screen mode with Lightroom, so why not with the rest—and don't tell me you can't shift windows or screens or whatever—

We want full screen, and we want it now—it's 2015, and it's Yosemite, soon El Capitan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop General Discussion forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a Mac user, but does tapping F on your keyboard twice work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Photoshop and Lightroom have full screen mode. In the case of Photoshop at least, it had full screen mode for many years before the Mac did. That's part of the reason it's not working the way you expect: A lot of veteran Photoshop users expect full screen mode to work the way it always has in that application. The OS X version of full screen is less capable than what you can do with full screen in Photoshop or Lightroom, so Adobe made a choice to maintain their full screen mode in their applications.

In Photoshop, the full screen modes are in the View > Screen Mode submenu. Or press F to cycle through each of the three screen modes.

In Lightroom, the full screen modes are in the Window > Screen Mode submenu. Or press Shift+F to cycle through each of the screen modes or press F for the full screen preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 10, 2015 Jul 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've gotten to the El Capitan beta and the situation's just as bad as I thought. Adobe software is a Mission Control hog. Without the ability to go OS X full screen, It's basically useless in any split view, meaning you can't use any application alongside it. I just want some checklist notes next to my applications so I can tick off my project notes as I go, but I guess I'll piggyback it onto my second computer or something. I feel like I'm in the 80s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 24, 2015 Jul 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have yet another complaint to add because of the lack of this feature. Apple keeps emphasizing the full screen workflow in OSX, and all other mayor apps I use have added support for it, such as Maya and ZBrush.

The complaint this time around is: If you have an app open in fullscreen on one screen, and Photoshop on another. Opening up a dialog window in Photoshop will often result in the other fullscreen application disappearing from their screen because the dialog wants to show up on the desktop space beneath it. This is VERY annoying.

If you're not going to have Photoshop use this feature which Apple is more and more making the preferred workflow, please, PLEASE, make dialog windows ALWAYS open up on the screen Photoshop is on, so it at least doesn't interfere with other apps which have adopted this new workflow.

I've posted in this topic before and I was more patient back then. But now this is really starting to get on my nerves and I'm considering unsubscribing unless Adobe can keep up to date with the OS's development. With the release of El Capitan the feature will have been around for 5 releases of OSX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jul 24, 2015 Jul 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

God, I can't believe they haven't added this feature into their code base yet.

The other day I messaged the people that build Balsamiq Mockups... They said they can't do full screen because they use Adobe Air for their app backend. Apparently, across the board, Adobe refuses do full screen.

Even the most simple of apps has this feature ... But not Adobe?????

Every day I use Adobe apps and I hate the way Adobe has refused to implement one of the best features of the native Apple OS experience.

Serious, wtf?

Like I said before, I love Adobe apps, but it really bothers me not have basic/critical OS-specific functionality missing from the Adobe UX.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's clear they don't want to listen to us, regardless of over 140 replies and 4 years of requesting. When El Capitan hits, workflow will grow to be even worse with incompatible Adobe software. I can't even split an Adobe program with a simple Notes app to mark down some design notes while I work. It's hilariously tragic when I really sit down and look at it all.

It's even more laughable because (as previously mentioned in this thread, to no avail) VLC on Mac has a tick box in the settings that allows the Maximize button to either act as VLC's own full screen button or as Apple's native full screen button. It's not like we've been asking for a UI overhaul or a feature that completes our work for us, we just want a simple toggle so all users can pick between Adobe's full screen mode and Apple's full screen mode. 5 operating systems soon, and the one semi-legitimate answer we've received is "Photoshop's full screen mode is better, and power users prefer it". Toggle it then. Every other answer has been support team waving their ego around like every single one of us is the wrong one. Some of the responses on here are seriously baffling for a company that charges customers $40+ a month for software that refuses to compromise.

Adobe, grab a single one of your thousands of programmers and ask him to implement the full screen toggle. He can do it during his lunch break with one hand. Heck, give me the source code and I'll implement it. And when you do it, do it for all of your rustic-feeling software. You can sidestep and dance around the issue for only so long- people are already starting to leap over to alternatives like Pixelmator and Logoist. This lack of actual support and compromise attempts is really starting to grate on the experience. I am not happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2015 Jul 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not to mention there's now competition from Affinity Photo by Serif (tried the beta. Really friendly interface, and felt smooth to use...unlike several Adobe apps I know). I bought Pixelmator a while back for sketching and painting, but I can use it for photo editing as well. Might buy Affinity as well because it also handles RAW though.

Seriously, full screen, NATIVE full screen, is a feature that is way past due, and I lost my patience a long time ago.

@thomas Yoon If I had the money, I'D pay for you to add it.

Votes

Translate

Translate