• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support for native full-screen mode on macOS

Explorer ,
Jul 21, 2011 Jul 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must say that full screen apps is a wonderful idea. I can start in such a way some of the apple apps (safari, imail, numbers) - I like switching between them. It will be desirable to enable this option for Ligtroom & Photoshop (both CS and Elements) to behave in similar way under new Mission Control stuff...

Idea Under review
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 12, 2016 Aug 12, 2016
As of versions 6.6 and CC2015.6, this is supported in Lightroom. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 28, 2012 Mar 28, 2012
I thought I'd take a moment to outline OS X's fullscreen mode in relation to Photoshop's Full Screen Modes and explain why we stuck with our Full Screen Mode:

Here's the short story: If we replace Photoshop's Full Screen mode with the native 10.7 full screen mode, then our users will loose the following functionality:

• The ability to use multiple displays while in fullscreen mode

• The ability to switch between different document windows while in fullscreen mode

This in not something our long...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 386 Replies 386
386 Comments
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2016 Jun 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That's really helpful

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded from PS CS5 to PS CC. Nice interface overall, but I agree that I'd rather have what's become a familiar user experience where the green maximize button opens a new full-screened space. When I'm using my 27" iMac I just jockey windows around my big screen, but with my MacBook, I prefer to trackpad-swipe my way through multiple spaces for my different programs. Yeah, it'd be nice if the menu stayed visible, given its central importance in PhotoShop, but I wouldn't mind the auto-hide.

If there is debate among users as to which is better, consider offering the user the option in preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2016 Jun 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

while updating to a new Mac Pro I came across some rather interesting features OSX has to offer that I had overlooked beforehand;

"Launch System Preferences on your Mac with a click or two, then click on the General icon. General is at the top left of the System Prefs window. Next, click on the checkbox next to the awkwardly named “Automatically hideand show the menu bar” entry."

I have also turned the menu to 'dark mode'. For me this is the cleanest look I can achieve.

I hope this helps!

Al

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2016 Jul 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. The dialogs when using multiple monitors are a serious pain. Adobe really needs to step up their game – it's actually unbelievable that such a terrible user experience like this is in all of the key products. Photoshop (and other CC apps) need to recognize which display the window is open on, and not pup up a dialog on the desktop of another monitor (which is often hidden, as that monitor is displaying another workspace).

And as for the native fullscreen mode – this is something that I have been dying for the past 2 years. It is essential to my workflow. The only apps on my machine that break this are Adobe CC. The support in Adobe XD is encouraging, but it desperately needs to be extended to the other apps.

What really irks me is that this is not a terribly complex feature. But Adobe never seems willing to change. Yes, it's always something for users to become accustomed to – but change needs to happen for anything to get better (instead of slowly dying over time). There's a lot that the Adobe CC suite needs to improve (performance and a UI refresh to name a couple).

But this little quirk (not supporting Mac fullscreen) is one of many that has tempted me to find alternatives like Affinity Designer/Photo, or Sketch. It's amazing to me that software that was once strides ahead of anyone else is now lacking in such a simple area. Makes my heart break every time Photoshop gets an update and I see the feature still isn't available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2016 Jul 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This still isn’t done? Lion came out five years ago...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2016 Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop can't be maximized using the green button of the main window in mac OS X, the dock seems to block it, leaving unused space. This issue is very annoying. It would be excellent if you could fix it, making an equivalent of "control + command + f" mode in google chrome 

Please see: https://forums.adobe.com/message/8937066#8937066 for more details

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop can't be maximized using the green button of the main window in mac OS X, the dock seems to block it, leaving unused space. This issue is very annoying. It would be excellent if you could fix it, making an equivalent of "control + command + f" mode in google chrome 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 12, 2016 Aug 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of versions 6.6 and CC2015.6, this is supported in Lightroom. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! It's going to be supported in Adobe Photoshop too? soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's on our radar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WE DID IT GUYS! Now we know if something has pretty overwhelming community support it will get on Adobe's radar within 5 years!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 09, 2016 Sep 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there was once a valid case for holding out on adopting native full-screen.  But since then, macOS has resolved many if not all of those issues.  There is no more excuse to not adopt it, and I've been truly dying for this feature for too long

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2016 Sep 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. This is why I still have not purchased CC and am still using CS6. Adobe has made so many stupid mistakes in the past 5 years that I now see them as a bit incompetent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 05, 2016 Nov 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2017 and it still doesn't work as expected. So many other pro apps out there put so much care and craft into the ui, and Adobe is certainly capable of world class apps (XD, for example, is stunning), but photoshop, illustrator, aftereffects and indesign are embarrassingly behind. Honestly guys, your market is the fussiest on earth about this stuff, this is the app that designers use to design. Sentiment and user experience isn't easy to measure, but it's important for long term success in software, and you guys are blowing it in 8/10 cases. Don't be the next Blackberry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pathetic! CC 2017 is out, and they still didn't fix any of these problems. I am a hard macOS native full screen and multiple desktop user with several monitors. I cannot be the only CC user having several monitors and using several adobe apps on several screens. Most annoying as every other app I use supports this... not only that - but the most annoying is that the dialog modals that pop are placed randomly on some desktop. I constantly have to go hunt for what dialog may now be open, causing the interaction on the main app-window to fail. And when you swap monitors or disconnect (my laptop from my cinema display) the whole adobe app window is shifted half of the screen, and you cannot grab it to resize and reposition on the screen. I mean come-on!!!! This issue exists since 2013 and I am paying the super expensive monthly (overpriced - since nobody is doing jack sh*) - and still not fixed! WOW!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2016 Nov 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS: I use the "Applicationframe"-View, which pretends to keep all app windows and modals on one desktop. Even that Adobe take on "keeping things together" fails big time - it is all over the place when using multiple monitors and macOS Spaces!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dreadful. I signed in just to post this. It's awful that they remain so stubborn on this. Honestly, the MOMENT any other company comes out with a decent competitor (a la Pixelmator) that does this, I'm off. There's literally no reason for them to not allow fullscreen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

totally agreed! Adobe is full of themselves for asking such horrendous monthly amounts. Give me the apps I need - including full-fledge native macOS support - on the apple app store for a competitive reasonable price - willing to pay up to 200 for photoshop - but that's it. - non of this CC-cr%A^P that is nothing but unnecessary surplus. Nobody would sign up for apple id, if they didn't have to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would really like to see this in CC2018. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2017 Mar 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed it for me! Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still puzzling why this 'f' functionality doesn't a) follow macOs guidelines on spaces and b) doesn't trigger when the green maximise button is pressed. It's been so many years. Not the level of polish that I would expect from the company that makes Adobe XD and project Felix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 21, 2017 Mar 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even 0.99$ apps on the App Store have this feature. Please consider fixing this in the next CC release.

Thanks,
Filippa

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2017 Mar 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.3. When I expand the program with the green button on my Mac. the window remains on the desktop. It does not go into a new tab and the doc does not hide. Using Lightroom the program goes full screen and appears in a new desktop tab. I've called tech support and they can't fix the issue within the program. This is a software glitch that hasn't been fixed in months. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New Photoshop CC release today - still no full-screen mode as we have with Lightroom. Any word on if this will ever change?

Votes

Translate

Translate