• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

stitching together several scanned images?

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

My wife wants to scan some of her artwork to send off to make prints. We have to do it on just a normal size A4 scanner, so is it possible to scan in sections then stich them back together in Photoshop?

If so, how do I do it? I haven't been able to find anything online as yet.

Cheers.

Steve.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

It is possible to stich multiple images in Photoshop. To automate task, if I can understand you corectly, you must have 20% overlaping area. Overlaping means next or second scaned image which is lets say right side of entire image must have 20% of previously scaned part/image starting from right to left. Same thing for bottom parts if you must divide into 4 parts plus bottom parts must have  20% of top parts included.

If you can not figure out from my description search for explanation how to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Think of your high resolution digital camera as a scanner.  Position your camera over you wife artwork parallel to the artwork plane of view. Evenly lite with a strong light source. Like full strong sunlight. Capture more than the artwork.  Use Photoshop perspective crop tool to crop to the artwork.  Use a good digital camera with a good lens.  Not your Phone.

A 16MP camera  file print at 150ppi will be good for artwork up A2 like a US 16" X 20" print. If you need larger  use a macro lens  cap

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

You can do the actual stitching in Photoshop with File > Automate > Photomerge.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is possible to stich multiple images in Photoshop. To automate task, if I can understand you corectly, you must have 20% overlaping area. Overlaping means next or second scaned image which is lets say right side of entire image must have 20% of previously scaned part/image starting from right to left. Same thing for bottom parts if you must divide into 4 parts plus bottom parts must have  20% of top parts included.

If you can not figure out from my description search for explanation how to stitch panorama in Photoshop. If tutorial is using camera to capture images do not worry because image is image regrdless how it is created.

Another solution is to scan images then post them here so we can examine them and to give you advice how to stitch them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2020 Mar 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou Bojan, very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Think of your high resolution digital camera as a scanner.  Position your camera over you wife artwork parallel to the artwork plane of view. Evenly lite with a strong light source. Like full strong sunlight. Capture more than the artwork.  Use Photoshop perspective crop tool to crop to the artwork.  Use a good digital camera with a good lens.  Not your Phone.

A 16MP camera  file print at 150ppi will be good for artwork up A2 like a US 16" X 20" print. If you need larger  use a macro lens  capture the artwork in sections and stitch. Move the Artwork not the camera  capturing the images to be stitched.  Camera RAW and menu File>Automate>Photomerge can stitch your imaged in Photoshop.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou JJ, I might try that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do the actual stitching in Photoshop with File > Automate > Photomerge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thankyou Marja.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the greatest thing I have ever seen, gosh I should actually learn how to use photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😀

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines