• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re: Stop polygonal lasso tool from auto-completing

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2018 Jan 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an "answer," at least for me, that allows me to work around the problem of the polygonal lasso automatically closing before I even do a double-click.  I'm running Adobe Photoshop Elements 14.  The problem with the lasso closing only recently started happening to me, which helped me figure out the issue.  (Well, not exactly figure out but come up with a so-called solution.)

I want to point out a few things.  In the photos I was editing, the lasso would snap close automatically only within certain areas of the photo.  It turns out that these same areas also wouldn't allow a lasso to even be initiated (the first click of creating the selection). For example, I could successfully create a selection at the bottom of the image but not the top.  I realize how strange that is; I'm just the messenger.  One way I "solved" the problem was by increasing the canvas size.at the top of the photo.  Yep, I know how weird that is but once I did that I didn't have any problems in the area where before the lasso was closing automatically previously.

I suspect this is something to do with the graphic card or hardware acceleration.  I found a post where in PS a user was having the same problem and then enabled or disabled something in preferences having to do with the graphic card and it started working.  PSE does not have that option in preferences.. However, I'm running dual monitors, and on one monitor it happens all the time and the other much less frequently.  Recently, I bought a new monitor, a 4k LG, and that is the monitor where it is occurring all the time.  On the BenQ monitor, my old one, it happens less frequently and in different locations on the photo.  (My graphic card is a Nvidia GeForce GTX 970, and one monitor is using the DisplayPort input and the other HDMI. )

I hope somebody gets some use out of this post.  It is a very annoying problem and it took me awhile to figure out a workaround.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2018 Jan 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Trevor,

I appreciate your suggestion, but that is not going to work for me.  Using the Alt and Shift keys do not solve the problem. The issue is there are certain areas of the image that don't even allow the first data point to be selected (see my post above).  Lets say I to select an area and it automatically closes before I selected the entire area I was intending.  I then use the Shift key to add to the previously selected area.  Unfortunately, the area I want to add doesn't allow even the first data point; thus, I can't get the total selection I'm attempting.

To add to my previous post, as soon as I posted it, PSE stop responding to my workaround of adding to the canvas area.  However, based on the monitor I was using, I had different results.  (FYI....You might not have the problem with the auto closing of the lasso based on your graphic card/monitor you are using (see my post above).  One final note for people that are trying to figure out the problem:  it appears to me, and this could be incorrect, that the areas in the image with this problem tend to be the same basic color.  So if I have an area that is mainly the same color (like a person's blonde hair), then the selection doesn't work.  If there is a lot of variation in color, I don't see this as often.  Could be coincidence, but want to point it out as a discussion point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines