• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Straighten tool as good as Apple's Photos?

Advocate ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple's Photos, there is   straighten tool with a  turning wheel that just blows away the straighten tool I've been using for years in PS and ACR? (where you click a ruler, and draw a straight line).   Is this as of yet in PS or ACR, maybe I'm not aware of it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

»Apple just does crop and don't get overlay grid or have to degrade quality with new save.«

You think the image does not get compressed anew after being rotated in the Apple application?

How would that work? 

»Anyway to not get that.«

Resaving jpg is a bad idea to begin with and whether the dialog appears depends on the settings YOU chose for the crop Tool (if the image is still just a Background Layer, that is)! 

You should save as a non-lossy format. 

»anyway to not get the annoying super

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please demonstrate what you are talking about and post meaningful screenshots. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Crop tool active, look in the Options bar running along the top of Photoshop for the Straighten option. When active, you draw a line on the canvas for Photoshop to align to. Deactivate the Delete Cropped Pixels option to avoid losing pixels (although they may be hidden off the edge of the canvas).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One can also rotate with the Crop Tool without the Ruler Tool. 

rotateAtCropping.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C here is screenshot Apple Photos app  

YOU SEE THE DIAL MIDDLE  right, so Nice, amazing, I'm using super mediocre straighten tool in PS for years - with Ruler, and make stright line, almost never works well.  can't belive how good Apple straighten tool  is.  I don't give a hoot about Apple, I'm on PS for 25 years, just stumblerd upon Apple tool by chance.

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 8.43.10 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok trying the rotate in PS, not bad, anyway to not get the annoying super drid to cover jpegs?  Also , unlike Apple, it's forcing another save, asking quality. Anyway to not get that. Apple just does crop and don't get overlay grid or have to degrade quality with new save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Apple just does crop and don't get overlay grid or have to degrade quality with new save.«

You think the image does not get compressed anew after being rotated in the Apple application?

How would that work? 

»Anyway to not get that.«

Resaving jpg is a bad idea to begin with and whether the dialog appears depends on the settings YOU chose for the crop Tool (if the image is still just a Background Layer, that is)! 

You should save as a non-lossy format. 

»anyway to not get the annoying super drid to cover jpegs«

Do you mean the Grid? »Never Show Overlay« … 

Screenshot 2021-04-19 at 18.02.17.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C notice overlay, can rule of 3rd, but when rotate, then goes to grid? does not stay rule thirds.

I use Tiffs, but what I have jpegs to quick rotate, no way to save and just keep what is was? How does Apple to that?

Where did  I chose to setting to save and increase size or ask again for jpegs?  Its just simple one layer jpeg.

Also, why does anyobne use strighten tool?  Why not use rotate even for buildings or whatever, srraighten with ruler is always overshooting, undershooting, you never know what get until draw the line and accept, with rotate, you straighten and see results live.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Where did  I chose to setting to save and increase size or ask again for jpegs?  Its just simple one layer jpeg.«

You select the Tool, you choose the Settings. 

If »Delect Cropped Pixels« is unchecked for the Crop Tool then what happens to a Background Layer? Watch the Layers Panel. 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 10.03.48 AM.pngHere you go C.   Where is settings here? BTW to confuse this, I rotate this guitar fretboard, and then did Quit PS asked to save, I accepted yet, and did not ask  for quality setting, so now confused on that.  

Dont' understand this at all " 

If »Delect Cropped Pixels« is unchecked for the Crop Tool then what happens to a Background Layer? Watch the Layers Panel. 

"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seems some images demand tedios save and choose quality, some don't?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot for an image where the dialog pops up. 

»Delete Cropped Pixels« is checked in the Options Bar on your screenshot, so the Background Layer should stay a Background Layer and the jpg could be saved simply with cmd-S (even if it should not). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

C thanks so when delete cropped pixels, is checked then just command S save -  without a new box asking for a quality.. 

Conversetly if saving pixels, ie, (aving old crop)  it's reverse.

Finally,

A ---rotate in PS, you would say is as good/ equivilant of Apple Photos rotate wheel?

B - again, why use the straithten tool ? As it's so innefective so often?

Thanks for helping. Even though I'm on PS for 20 years,, still some things like why asking for new image quality, still not intuitive to the brain for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines