Highlighted

Stuck in Camera Raw Filter

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop v20.0.07 & v 21.0.1

macOS 10.14.6

I'm editing using the Camera Raw filter on a smart object, and after switching to another application and then coming back to Photoshop, I can no longer use Photoshop and must force quit without saving. It looks like a problem with misplaced focus, whereas normally the Camera Raw filter dialog would be in focus/in front and usable, instead the progress bar dialog for the Camera Raw filter is in front. Clicking the cancel button on this progress bar dialog does nothing (makes the OS error sound), most actions in the Camera Raw dialog dont work as everything is greyed out and this window does not have focus — I can only click and drag to zoom, or click and drag the histogram. I cannot click anything in the Photoshop application window either. This priginally happened  in v21 so I switched to v20 but now it has happened there too.

Go to Photoshop->Preferences->General and turn off "Export Clipboard"

Still think this is a bug, but this will keep it from ruining your day.

TOPICS
Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Stuck in Camera Raw Filter

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop v20.0.07 & v 21.0.1

macOS 10.14.6

I'm editing using the Camera Raw filter on a smart object, and after switching to another application and then coming back to Photoshop, I can no longer use Photoshop and must force quit without saving. It looks like a problem with misplaced focus, whereas normally the Camera Raw filter dialog would be in focus/in front and usable, instead the progress bar dialog for the Camera Raw filter is in front. Clicking the cancel button on this progress bar dialog does nothing (makes the OS error sound), most actions in the Camera Raw dialog dont work as everything is greyed out and this window does not have focus — I can only click and drag to zoom, or click and drag the histogram. I cannot click anything in the Photoshop application window either. This priginally happened  in v21 so I switched to v20 but now it has happened there too.

TOPICS
Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 24, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I can replicate this 100% with the following steps:

1. Create new file with the Photo > Default Photoshop Size preset
  2. Double click the background, click ok, then right click the layer -> Convert to a smart object
  3. Choose Filter > Camera Raw Filter
  4. Cmd-Tab to switch to Safari
  5. Cmd-Tab to switch back
  6. Progress bar now has focus and photoshop cannot be used without force-quitting.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2019 1
Participant ,
Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm dealing with this right now and came looking for an answer. It stinks and I don't want to redo all this work.

For me it's when I copied all layers (command-shift-C)/pasted into a new layer. that loaded all that information into the clipboard. My preferences still are set to save that for other applications, so when I switch apps I get an error saying that the clipboard is too large to export. Then from there it appears that photoshop tries to update the main image from the camera raw edits, and that's where it hangs up. The cancel button on the progress bar just beeps at me when I try to click on it.

It's clearly a bug, and I'm going to have to force quit and relaunch photoshop. I'm going to test turning off export clipboard settings and I'll report back.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2019 0
Participant ,
Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2019 0
Engaged ,
Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup thats the exact method, i got this same thing. Its a window order issue as it seems. Probably small issue in the scripts, should be easy fix

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 23, 2020 0
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go into photoshop prefs.

Preferences/File handling/Camera Raw Preferences/Performance

Click the Purge Cache button!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's back! Nothing of suggested in this thread works with Photoshop 2021 on Mac newest OS, Big Sur.
Purging the cache (suggested by AndoverColorGuy) only works one time. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. When I say everything in the thread, I especially meant the main thing that was suggested...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has not been solved. I turned off "Export Clipboard" and purged the Camera Raw cache on two computers yesterday. Both devices ran into the exact same problem today. I've lost hours of work to this bug.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this still a problem!? We should at least be able to cancel...

This is a huge problem. Camera Raw Filter is the most efficient way to edit photos in Photoshop. This should be a priority and it's been a problem for a full year now.

The only way to get this to work is to purge the cache before using the Camera Raw Filter. You need to do it every time. Even if you already applied the filter and are just going to edit.

Via AndoverColor Guy:

Preferences/File handling/Camera Raw Preferences/Performance

Click the Purge Cache button!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scratch that. Purge it multiple times in a row before trying it. Once may not do the trick.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2020 0
koswalt LATEST
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. No longer works. Forget it. Adobe, fix your stuff.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2020 0