Highlighted

Sudden "shoelace bug" in Photoshop 2020 when drawing with a tablet

New Here ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I had an issue where my computer couldn't find my drawing tablet after I updated its' drivers, got that fixed and working but once I tried to use it in Photoshop 2020 the pen pressure didn't work anymore. Got it working again by using this method: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/pen-pressure-not-working-in-the-new-photoshop-2020-21-0-2/t...

Pressure is working again but now I've run in the problem where my brush strokes don't have a smooth end/fade but are instead... round? 

This only happens to me with the newest version of Photoshop (21.1.2), with the previous 2019 version (20.0.9) everything still works fine. I've tried reinstalling PS 2020, roll back to previous version of the tablet drivers, updating it again, restarting computer... nothing seems to work. Is this a known bug, is there a fix? Seems weird that the pressure worked fine on the 2020 version for me up until now... 😕 I'm using a Wacom Intuos CTL-490 tablet on Windows 10.

Here's an example with how the same brush strokes look like in PS 2019 and PS 2020 for me now:

photoshop_weird.png

Topics

Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Sudden "shoelace bug" in Photoshop 2020 when drawing with a tablet

New Here ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I had an issue where my computer couldn't find my drawing tablet after I updated its' drivers, got that fixed and working but once I tried to use it in Photoshop 2020 the pen pressure didn't work anymore. Got it working again by using this method: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/pen-pressure-not-working-in-the-new-photoshop-2020-21-0-2/t...

Pressure is working again but now I've run in the problem where my brush strokes don't have a smooth end/fade but are instead... round? 

This only happens to me with the newest version of Photoshop (21.1.2), with the previous 2019 version (20.0.9) everything still works fine. I've tried reinstalling PS 2020, roll back to previous version of the tablet drivers, updating it again, restarting computer... nothing seems to work. Is this a known bug, is there a fix? Seems weird that the pressure worked fine on the 2020 version for me up until now... 😕 I'm using a Wacom Intuos CTL-490 tablet on Windows 10.

Here's an example with how the same brush strokes look like in PS 2019 and PS 2020 for me now:

photoshop_weird.png

Topics

Bug, Problem or error, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't heard of this happening for quite a while now.  Three or four versions maybe.

Are you using Windows Ink or Win Tab?  Whech ever one you are using, try the other.

Do you use Lazy Nezumi Pro?  It is still a totally must have plug-in for tablet users with Windows, and does way more than brush smoothing.  It specifically addressed the shoelace issue back when it _was_ an issue, so if you don't have LNP you can at least use the trial period to see if fixes your problem

https://lazynezumi.com/

image.png

Of course the bottom line here is that it shouldn't be happening, so so either the Wacom driver is not working properly with 21.1.2 or 21.1.2 is interpreting the API differently.  If the latter I would expect swapping which ever API you are using.  I think I swapped back to Windows Ink a couple of version updates ago. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and thank you for your reply!

I've tried using the tablet both with Windows Ink and Win Tab, closing the program in between, but the problem still persist when using Photoshop 2020. I'm pretty sure I had Windows Ink on as default before this problem occurred.

I came accross Lazy Nezumi Pro when trying to understand this problem, haven't used it and tbh I wouldn't want to believe that a 3rd party program is the answer here since everything worked just as it should on the 2020 version before I had to update the drivers. What I find weird is the fact that rolling back to the drawing tablet's previous driver version or reinstalling PS 2020 isn't helping either, and in the 2019 version of Photoshop the pen pressure is working just as it should with the tablet's drivers updated and all... I have no idea why this problem is happening with the 2020 version, is there a setting inside Photoshop that has something to do with the API etc that I'm missing?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently migrated computers from a laptop that had 2019 to a desktop that has 2020. When testing this exact thing on both systems with the same tablet, same drivers, everything, I encounter the same problem. I've determined at this point that it might not be a tablet issue but more of a Photoshop issue. As for a solution, I'm also looking for one.

If you don't need smoothing, unchecking the smoothing option in the brush settings helps, but if you're like me and need smoothing for artwork, this isn't really an option.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines