Suddenly ALL of my settings in Photoshop have DISAPPEARED

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a recurring problem. I have reinstalled Photoshop but this continues to happen. It is a very serious issue. I need to get my settings back. And all of my patterns and colors. I have not made any changes to the app whatsoever but when I switched it on today, ALL of my settings and saved patterns etc are GONE. I can't afford to keep losing work like this. The last time this happened, the agent removed all trace of Photoshop from my laptop and it was reinstalled from scratch. This has happened AGAIN,

TOPICS
Problem or error

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All preferences and custom settings are stored in your machine's user account - not the program files.

Each major Photoshop version has its own main folder in the user account. When you update to a new major version (like from v21 to v22), you need to take steps to migrate these settings, if not, you get a new default set.

If you don't uninstall the old version, all the settings are still intact there. I suggest you turn off automatic updates. 

If settings are deleted outside of these scenarios, there is a problem with the user account in your operating system. You may not have the necessary permissions in your account.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the technician who shared my screen, there are NO FILES in the user accoount. You are missing the point. Photoshop is RESETTING ITESELF TO FACTORY DEFAULTS. This has nothing to do with me. I have not updated. This is a bug and I want it reported. It is a recurring problem.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lose all of my recorded actions and presets along with my preferences. They just default to factory settings on their own.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand you're angry, but Photoshop doesn't just "reset itself". The real problem in that case is that your user account doesn't have the necessary read and write permissions. That's an operating system issue, not a Photoshop issue.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please eleaborate. What do I have to do to get the correct permissions. I have been using The Creative Cloud for years and have had several technicians on my machine who have not told me this or fixed the problem. Photoshop IS RESETTING itself. Automatic updates are always OFF.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you full administrator on your machine, or do you have a limited user account? This sometimes happens in e.g. a corporate environment. It can also happen with laptop setups.

One thing that sometimes helps with this, is to right-click the PS icon in the start menu, then "run as administrator". It should normally only be necessary to do this once. This can often fix permissions problems:

start.png

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am the Administrator on this computer. It is mine. I always sign in as Administrator. So therefore this is an incorrect solution. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. You seem to have made up your mind already, and there isn't much we can help you with here. Good luck.

If you're still convinced this is a Photoshop bug (that no one else sees), then you can report it on the feedback site, which is the official bug report channel, monitored by Adobe staff.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is NOT what I am saying. You said that I must be signed in as Admin. I said I always am. What else can you suggest?

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incidentally, the problem most certainly IS SEEN when I report it every time it happens. Just because YOU haven't seen it doesn't mean it isn't seen. You can look at all the transcripts on my account trying to resolve this issue.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please will you accept my apology. I realize I was overwrought and lost my cool, coming across as rude. I would be grateful if someone will troubleshoot this issue with me.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, it's fine, don't worry 🙂

Try to run as administrator once first. Even if you already are administrator, it should repair errors.

This is really a case for a Windows expert, which I'm not. But I have enough experience with Photoshop to know that the entire preferences folder doesn't just vanish.

Preferences can become corrupt, however. This is because they are resaved/rewritten every time Photoshop exits - as opposed to program files that are read only. So errors accumulate. That usually just causes erratic behavior. But you can try to reset them anyway.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran the program as Administrator and it did not resolve the issue. All I can tell you is this. A few weeks ago an Adobe technician completely removed all trace of Photoshop from my computer because of this recurring problem. I had hoped that would remove anything that was corrupted. The problem is this. Without any updating or tampering of any kind whatsoever, Photoshop reverts to factory settings as if never peviously used. I don't know what a Windows expert would be expected to look for. 

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines