• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Super novice asking for kind help please! - complex image, transparent background needed

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gurus

I started using photoshop 2 weeks ago. I have an image of leaves on a twig that I need to convert so the background is transparent.  I have tried the magnetic lassoo tool but that has two issues - 

1) it doesnt follow the fine lines of the twig

2) the image is not one contigous line 

All the YouTube tutorial videos assume a fairly simple shape. I am struggling!  Thanks in advance 

P

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

xxxx.png

The shadows in the image make the creation of a transparent background a bit more time consuming because of the careful dodging and burning it requires. The following method involves a mask and the use of the Blend if command both of which may be unfamiliar to you. This is how the result above was created; ten steps to create the mask:

1. Trash the Background lock
  2.   Duplicate the Background layer
  3.   Use the Burn tool to darken thin stems (blue arrow) and then Dodge to lose the shadows where they t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

For a white background an action like Kill White will do a good job. perfectly removing a white background 

Capture.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need some Photoshop education.  Look at the beginner videos and follow the beginner tutorials. After that you should  able to learn how to use Photoshop for what you wan to do,  It is a never ending learning process till death.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are always mutiple ways to make selections. This one with a uniform background can be selected with Color range and fine adjustment can be made in Quick Mask mode.

You can look for "Making selection with Color range" on Youtube.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

xxxx.png

The shadows in the image make the creation of a transparent background a bit more time consuming because of the careful dodging and burning it requires. The following method involves a mask and the use of the Blend if command both of which may be unfamiliar to you. This is how the result above was created; ten steps to create the mask:

1. Trash the Background lock
  2.   Duplicate the Background layer
  3.   Use the Burn tool to darken thin stems (blue arrow) and then Dodge to lose the shadows where they touch the leaves and stems; for examples see the red arrows. In dodging don’t worry about lightening the leaf edge a bit. It is not a problem.

(The dodging and burning will make a Step 7, Blend if, more precise)

1. Duplicate the layer that was retouched and set the Blending to Multiply.
  2. Merge Down the layer to combine the top two layers.
  3. Add a transparent layer below the top layer, return to the top layer
  4. Use Blend If to lose the surround, then merge down.
  5. Lock the surround and Fill the leaves with black. Then unlock
  6. Select the surround and Fill the (not contiguous) area with white
  7. Invert the layer, copy the layer and then turn the layer off
  8. Use it as a mask on the Background layer.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing, thank you so much.  I will try this today. The solution includes language I do not really understand, but I will give it my best shot!  Thank you again, very much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your image is really complex, you will never get a perfect result. You may hev to use several selection methods to gwet the best result possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a learning experience for sure.  I got as far as 8 and filling the leaves black is a mystery to me!  I'll keep trying.  Thanks again Norman, very much appreciate your time 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you completed the sequence through Step 7, it means you have learned to:

1. Trash a lock
  2. Make a duplicate layer
  3. Dodge and Burn an image
  4. Set a Blending Mode to Multiply
  5. Merge layers
  6. Locate the Blend If command and apply one of its sliders

As a “Super novice” you are doing very well indeed!  

Now let’s tackle Step 8: “Lock the surround and Fill the leaves with black. Then unlock.”

1. To lock the transparent surround, click here:

Lock.jpg

1.   To Fill the leaves with black, Edit > Fill > Black. The transparent area is unaffected.
  2. To unlock, click the Lock symbol again. You will see some of the leaves’ veins did not go solid black. Fill them in black using a hard-edged brush.

Step 9. Select the surround and fill the (not contiguous) area with white

1. Use the Magic Wand. In the Options Bar confirm that the Sample size is 3x3, Tolerance is zero and that Contiguous is Unchecked. Click in the transparent area of the image to Select it.
  2. Edit > Fill the transparent area with White.
  3. Select > Deselect the marching ants

Step 10. Invert the layer, copy the layer and then turn the layer off

1. To invert the Layer, Select > All followed by Image > Adjustments > Invert.  
  2. To Copy an entire Layer, Select > All followed by Edit > Copy. Copy it.
  3. To turn the Layer off, click on the Eye at the left of the layer
  4.   Keep the marching ants. The leaf shapes are white. The surround is black.

Step 11. Use it as a mask on the Background layer.

1. Choose the Background layer (It is Layer 0) and add a mask by clicking on the mask symbol (circle in a rectangle) at the bottom of the Layers panel.
  2. Option-click on the mask. The will go completely white.
  3. To paste the mask information into the mask, Edit > Paste
  4. Turn on the eye of the Background layer
  5. Deselect the marching ants

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey, thank you for your time and patience.  All has worked and I am very grateful.  Thank you again 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a white background an action like Kill White will do a good job. perfectly removing a white background 

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines