• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Support additional flavors (non iOS) of HEIC, HIF, HEVC for Import

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe get with the program.  I tried importing *.HIF files today from my EOS R5 and Lightroom Classic doesn't even show them in the import window.  They can't be imported.  I can import iPhone *.HEIF files but not from the EOS R5.  Adobe's lack of support for import and export of *.HEIF files is pathetic

Idea Planned
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Updates to https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/heic-files-support.html 

(May 2023): FIXED  Sony HIF File Issue: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-sony-hif-images-reading-image-and-writing-metadata-error/idi-p/13770782 

(April 2023) Preliminary Support for DSLR flavors of HIF files (Import and Sync) was added to LrD and LrC 

(Dec 2022): See the updated doc: https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/using/hdr-output.html in section "Working with HDR Output" for updates on preli

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 172 Replies 172
172 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right. When linking the camera, I use capture, and I hardly choose lightroom. Only because of the color display problem. Not friendly enough. Customers look and feel on the screen. It will always be the first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NO EOS R5 Camera profiles NO HIF .

Developers do not look at our alternatives at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*alexandre_nadeau_5sh8mdrh42cgx @yi xu *dynamics4u 

*erik_van_den_elsen_3947518 and others

Remember to vote with the Green arrow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is WRONG with Adobe?  Really, this is beyond belief that a very mainstream camera can not be used after 9 months or so?   What's worse, Adobe asking them to send sample files as though they have never heard of Canon, or don't talk to them ...

Unbelievable, I so wish I could leave Adobe behind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When will it be supported?

I have a EOS R6 and a lot of photos can not be imported to LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an unbelievable situation.  Mostly I can't believe that no-one from Adobe or anywhere seems to have understood the problem.  I think the story with HIF files is this ...

The R5 and R6 normally generate CR3 and jpeg files.  Adobe has support for these.  HIF files are ONLY generated when you have High Dynamic Range HDR turned on in the camera.  HIF files are therefore a more complex file containing several different exposures, and therefore are 'special' and specific to these or some Canon cameras.  You can't import them into anything other than Canon's Digital Photo Professional 4 (DPP) because the HIF format is either proprietary or still unknown to software manufacturers like Adobe.  The lack of understanding of this by Adobe shown in this thread is shocking, and the apparent inability or unwillingness of Canon in not talking to Adobe when they created the format is equally incomprehensible.

If I am right then the only current solution is to either: a) turn HDR off on the camera, or b) use DPP to import and pre-process your HDR shots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tianling_zhou's profile
tianling_zhou

See my comment just now, starting "this is an unbelievable situation".

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jrsubs Pretty much sums it up

With DPP being a rubbish bit of software, using this as an intermediate step is wasting time I don't have. Until Adobe improves HIF support (with Canon assistance), the format is dead in the water for professional use.

Which is shame, because Apple's support for HEIF / HEVC generated by their iOS devices has been exemplary. In there vertically integrated solution, HEIF/HIF is as native as a jpeg. Unfortunately, there seems to be something funky about Canon's implementation, as I can't use the Canon HIF files on any Mac software.  There seem to be little will to improve on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe takes their sweet little time to support file formats, we were WAITING MONTHS to even get .CR3 RAW file support.  We have a fantastic feature in the Canon R5 and R6 of 10 bit .HEIC files but can't view, edit or print them to see the benefits.  Why does it always take Adobe Lightroom soooooooo long to update their software?!?!?!?  This isn't good enough Adobe, customers are waiting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Canon decides, for no good reason that I can see, to invent their own HEIF format, but Adobe is the bad guy? This is exactly why I dumped Canon in 2017, they are greedy and monopolistic, and have been the photography bad guys for quite a while. Thank you Metabones for allowing me to change to Sony!! Their HEIF format works in Lightroom!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really! And every time Sony comes out with a new camera with new functionality in the raw files, Adobe has to support the new functionality in the Sony raw files. By the way I stay with Canon because they make better cameras and better glass - used by every professional Sony Camera for televisions production. They are raw workhorses.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may not know this, but Sony cooperates with Adobe by giving them the RAW specs for new formats, which Canon does not (they are the only one that doesn't). I still have my Canon 6DII, and still love it, and I'm not selling it! That said, they are still greedy and monopolistic, right? More kool-aid?

Like my NYC photographer buddy said, "yeah, all the local photo studios now use Sonys"! I recently took studio test shots with my 6DII and my A7R4, Sony wins for dynamic range, and no low-pass filter to have to pay Lifepixel to remove!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 01, 2021 May 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! I know this. The Canon RAW is real raw format. It is a complete dump of what comes out of the sensor. Sony makes a tiff format ARW file, and that is not a real raw file and has never been. The CRW, CR2 and CR3 are widely described although Canon legally has the right to the file format. All software producers can "hack" the Canon format and do it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to see your proof that Sony's ARW format is not a "real RAW format". All software producers shouldn't have to "hack" anything (great cameras, but greedy and monopolistic disqualifies).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is build on tiff and tiff specifications. CRW, CR2 and CR3 are legally protected property, but they are described in a way that everyone can use it and they are allowed to. Find another thread for your Canon bashing. I have tons of Canon gear and I am very satisfied with it. Their RAW format is the most wide spread in the world. Love your Sony. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Saying so is not proof. I don't bash the cameras, just the corporation. Listen to any podcast, like Photo Geek Weekly. End of line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know I’m right. End of line. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still an issue with .HIF files from the R5. Cannot import into Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"HEIF is currently supported for Import in Lightroom."

Since Rikk wrote this, Adobe has clarified that "Lightroom and Camera raw support only HEIF/.heic files created with iOS devices."

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-cc/kb/heic-files-support.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have adobe photoshop v22.3.1 and a Canon EOS R5. I was able to open a HIF file by changing the file type to Heic. Oddly Photoshop also opens it with a file type of heif (I mis-typed it the first time)

Try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*carlos_cardona Can you please explain how I can import a Sony .hif file into Lightroom Classic? According to your post, this should work. But neither Lightroom Classic or Lightroom nor Photoshop (all up to date) recognize the HEIF files from a Sony A1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Rainer Feldt I stand corrected! You are right, I can see .hif files from my A1 card in the Finder, but LRC says "No Photos Found". I guess you can't believe everything you read in camera reviews? Thanks for pointing that out before I started using it for work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom and photoshop can both import Sony raw files, the same as they can import Canon raw files.

In theory they can import HEIC files (or at least Photoshop can, and Bridge), but that is a different thing entirely from raw.  HEIC is a container  for various file types, and the HEIC files  my phone makes are equivalent  to jpegs.

But neither can import HIF.  You need to  be clear what  these different files are. 

As far as I can work out, HIF files are high dynamic range files and contain information from several shots at different exposures.  I  didn't know Sony also make HIF files, but Canon certainly do.  My Canon only makes HIF files when I have HDR selected.  I think many people don't  realise where their HIF files are coming from, or why.  This is the cause of much of this confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i actually found 1 way only to import it to LR,

you will need an iPad or an iPhone,

fisrt import all the HIF photos to the iPad or iPhone, then open the photos, Then you press share button in Photos App, then you choose LR, (maximum 50 photos per import), 

then it will give a message says "successfully imported"

then press lunch LR, 

and you will see it there, 

after that make an album for the photos in LR and add them, 

then let LR sync it to adobe account, 

after that open it in you desktop or mac at LR, give time to sync,

and you got your images as HIF in LR,

----

or you can simply convert it 🙂 

i use snap converter in Mac OS system, available in App Store  

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with my R5 HIF files. Can't open them in Lightroom or Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate