Highlighted

Tablet responsiveness and cursor flickering

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just updated to Photoshop 2021 and I'm finding that the experience of drawing in it is less than stellar, on macOS Catalina on a late-2017 iMac 5K.

In Photoshop 2020 I was having some trouble with my brush strokes losing responsiveness (so circles would get a big chunk taken out as the brush skipped steps), but in 2021 it's even worse. Also while I'm drawing, the cursor keeps on flickering between my brush cursor and the system arrow cursor. Finally, sometimes while drawing, the UI will just completely freeze up for several seconds, and sometimes puts a big blap of backlogged drawing motions (usually very random-looking) after it starts responding again (although I had this problem in 2020 as well, but not as frequently).

I'm not running any third-party plugins and I've ensured that my Wacom drivers are totally up-to-date, and I've just seen this get progressively worse and worse over the years. Does anyone have ideas of things I can try to fix this issue? I feel like Photoshop is no longer a good experience for drawing art on a Wacom tablet, but it's still the only art program which actually has the particular features and workflow that I rely on for my process so I'd still rather not give up on it entirely.

TOPICS
Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Tablet responsiveness and cursor flickering

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just updated to Photoshop 2021 and I'm finding that the experience of drawing in it is less than stellar, on macOS Catalina on a late-2017 iMac 5K.

In Photoshop 2020 I was having some trouble with my brush strokes losing responsiveness (so circles would get a big chunk taken out as the brush skipped steps), but in 2021 it's even worse. Also while I'm drawing, the cursor keeps on flickering between my brush cursor and the system arrow cursor. Finally, sometimes while drawing, the UI will just completely freeze up for several seconds, and sometimes puts a big blap of backlogged drawing motions (usually very random-looking) after it starts responding again (although I had this problem in 2020 as well, but not as frequently).

I'm not running any third-party plugins and I've ensured that my Wacom drivers are totally up-to-date, and I've just seen this get progressively worse and worse over the years. Does anyone have ideas of things I can try to fix this issue? I feel like Photoshop is no longer a good experience for drawing art on a Wacom tablet, but it's still the only art program which actually has the particular features and workflow that I rely on for my process so I'd still rather not give up on it entirely.

TOPICS
Mac, Performance, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 01, 2020 0

Have something to add?