Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Technique: Reflective CDs (How to)

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Photoshop Community,

I was wondering about the technique used to make two album covers I'm fascinated by. I have tried my hand at replicating one of them by overlapping one color gradient and a grey metallic looking one but it doesn't look remotely close. I also tried all blend modes but nothing seems to create a similar effect.

I would be very grateful if someone could show me how to make something similar.

Any input on how the casings might have been made are also very welcome. 

Here are the album covers and the result of my attempt:

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the problem exactly? 

You know you can pick Color Stops from the images? 

The casings are likely photographs (the whole things maybe). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not realize you can pick color stops from the images. I'll try that as well.

Further, to me it looks like there is a certain glare those images have that mine just doesn't and as a result makes it look kinda flat. This might suggest they're pictures but nonetheless, do you know how I might achieve that effect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure I understand; do you mean the »grooves«? 

Thos could be emulated with Displace and Motion Blur. 

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 12.33.49.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Filter Polar Coordinates can be used to warp a Smart Object containing a linear Gradient into a circular shape. 

gradientTest.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks great! I'll try displace and motion blur next.

I hadn't heard of the Polar Coordinates filter, what are the advantages of this method over simply using the angle gradient overlay? Is it necessary to have a smart object wrap around so as to use displace and motion blur perhaps?

Thank you for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To create »streaks« it is pretty easy to use a Displacement Map with horizontal lines on a horizontal gradient, for an angular gradient that would be inconvenient. 

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 13.30.31.pngScreenshot 2021-01-15 at 13.30.42.pngScreenshot 2021-01-15 at 13.31.05.pngScreenshot 2021-01-15 at 13.31.20.png

»Is it necessary to have a smart object wrap around so as to use displace and motion blur perhaps?«

My advice for Photoshop users: 

• Smart Objects 

• Smart Objects 

• Smart Objects 

In this case the Smart Objects (within Smart Objects etc.) allow to make edits to the gradient or the Displace Filter later on without having to »retrace« the steps. 

For example a stronger Displace: 

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 13.34.33.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, this is what the Displacement Map I used for this looks like: 

Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 13.35.37.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for your reply! This is very helpful. I will look more closely into smart objects.

Would you mind sharing your psd? I am still very new to this and I might not understand everything you've done but it might be helpful to be able to look through your project to better understand how all these filters work. 

Thank you once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you made headway with the task? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines