Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text Color stays black - Tried everything - plz help

Explorer ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Im trying to change my text color and gradient but It stays black. I have read a bunch of online but still havent found the solution. Could you plz help.

The image settings is RBG and 32 bits.

why wont work.png

I have attached a picture.

many thanks in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To change the text color, click the black box next to Color in the Character panel.

If you want to make the text a gradient, add a Gradient Overlay effect to the type layer.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan thank  you for  your fast reply. However, the problem is that  when I click on the box and choose another color, the text doesnt change. Is it possible that I have something enabled which is preventing the text from changing the black color?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. I don't see anything that would prevent the color from working.

Have you tried adding a Color Overlay effect as a workaround? (Not that you should have to do that.)

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan thank you for the reply. Im very new with Photoshop. I dont know how to use the color overlay. I followed the steps of alexhalford tutorial video. I saw a post from ashish i will try that, if that not works i will upload short video of what im trying to do. Perhaps that will make it a bit easier. I just arrrived at work so it will be a bit later.

Thanks for your help so far

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow the steps in below image

photoshop.png

Learn more about Photoshop on https://goo.gl/cxF9DQ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you ashish. I will try this.

Quick question, I was selecting the written text by the moving tool and then I tried to change the color. Was it therefore not working?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the text with the Type Tool (doubleclick your text directly in the image).

Then change the color.

Have fun

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

many thanks guys, i really hope that solves it.

you guys have no idea how long i was searching on the net for this problem:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Move tool moves layers around the canvas. You use the Type tool to create and edit text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

guys , i did everything according what you guys described but its staying black..im going to upload a vid in few hours to show you guys what im exactly doing because dont understand it anymore

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dan I uploaded a vid with what im doing..plz let me know what im doing wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your image is flattened to a single background layer.  Thus you have no editable text layers to work with.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK i hear you but I dont understand you. So what do I need to do to resolve it?

thank you very much for your quick reaction by the way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have the native PSD files with layers?  That would be your best option.

If not, you'll have to recreate this with a new layer containing the text you want and painstakingly remove the old text with a brush and color that matches the background.

In the future, keep your original PSD files with layers and don't flatten them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.  Use the Type tool to create your text.  Highlight all the letters and then change the color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

look at the intensity when you apply color into text. set the value to 0.00 stops for resolve black or white color issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2023 Oct 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem! I have tried everything: restarting the software, change the color mode, etc. I can't change colours on anything, and even color overlay doesn't work. Please help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@defaultuds2x0x9h6oo can you post a screenshot of the Photoshop interface will all the pertinent panels opened to highlight the issue, have you tried manually resetting your Photoshop preferences, also what exact version of Photoshop do you have
https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually
Remember to backup your settings before doing the preference reset
https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried 3 different versions of photoshop. It is definitely a file issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2023 Nov 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem I am so sick of things not working everytime I upgrade photoshop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines