Text in Photoshop not obeying proper kerning and spacing

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just noticed this today but my text function appears to be bugged. I attached an image to demonstrate the issue. While my text in Illustrator behaves normally my Photoshop appears to treat each letter as a word. I'm using the same character parameters in each, yet I am running into this. Has anyone else run into this issue? If so do you have a solution?

Thanks

DBBB080C-7C06-42EB-8663-F38CD4D3229E.png

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Text in Photoshop not obeying proper kerning and spacing

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just noticed this today but my text function appears to be bugged. I attached an image to demonstrate the issue. While my text in Illustrator behaves normally my Photoshop appears to treat each letter as a word. I'm using the same character parameters in each, yet I am running into this. Has anyone else run into this issue? If so do you have a solution?

Thanks

DBBB080C-7C06-42EB-8663-F38CD4D3229E.png

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 06, 2020 0
jane-e LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @colewint1998 

I downloaded the typeface from Adobe Fonts and it's okay for me in Photoshop. I compared our Character panels and all I see is:

• USA vs. Canadian English
  • Your panel is missing the type style and  OpenType widgets that you see at the bottom of my panel. Do you have an older version of PS? Which one? Which version of Illustrator where it is working correctly?
  • Also, because I have the Type tool selected and the Type layer selected, but no insertion point, my Kerning control is blank.

jane-e_0-1607346858076.png

Try this: Select the text with the Type tool. Set the Kerning to either Metrics or Optical (whichever you prefer) and set the tracking to 0 (zero).

jane-e_1-1607347346289.png

The second thing to try is to reset the Type tool. Right-click the Type tool in the options bar (not Tools panel) and choose Reset tool.

jane-e_2-1607347552094.png

"Photoshop appears to treat each letter as a word"

To me it looks like a letter spacing issue with tracking or possibly kerning, but we can test this. Double-clicking selects a word, so try double-clicking to see how much text gets selected.

You can also click an insertion point and use the left and right arrow keys to navigate one letter at a time. Are the gaps included?

Both InDesign and Illustrator, which are far better for text than Photoshop, have a control in the Type menu to show hidden characters such as spaces and returns. Photoshop does not, as it is primarily an image editor with limited type functionality.

Let us know if this helps,

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 07, 2020 0