text tool not working photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using photoshop for a decade so this is not user error or any of the basic things mentioned on other posts. Im using a mac book pro with latest version of photoshop. I've updated to Sur but this issue also happened imtemittently on previous os.

When I highlight my text it can sometimes ( as often as 6 or 8 times) instead of being in edit mode it make a new layer .

Now frquently when I highlight my text and change font details ( could be size , kening ..amything) those changes simply do not happen.

This is NOT an error in selectingg correct layer/tool/ etc etc 

Please help becaus eI am wasting so much time 

Moved from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum... Mod
To find a forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/

TOPICS
How to

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Sorry for the delay in answering. When a moderator moved your message replying to it, it got buried in the timeline.

@Cardine wrote:

When I highlight my text it can sometimes ( as often as 6 or 8 times) instead of being in edit mode it make a new layer .

You didn't say how you are highlighting your text:

• One way to highlight it is to double-click the "T" icon on the far left of the Type layer in the Layers panel. This should work every time, and you can start with your Move tool if you want.
  • The second way to highlight your text is to use your Type tool on the text itself. If you are about to start a new layer, you will see a dotted-line rectangle around the cursor. It will not be there if you are about to edit existing text. Try moving your Type tool around without clicking to see the dotted-line rectangle come and go. The issue I have seen is that when folks try to click at the very beginning of the text, they often miss and create a new layer accidentally. I always click in the middle to get the insertion point, then select the text.

Let us know if this helps or if it's another issue.

Now frquently when I highlight my text and change font details ( could be size , kening ..amything) those changes simply do not happen.

This is curious. Can you show a screen shot with highlighted text and the Character panel (Window menu)?

~ Jane

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines