The image exceeds the size Save for Web & Devices was designed for

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded from CS3 to CS5. I assumed that Save for Web & Devices would have been redesigned so that it would not complain with modern large photos that they were just too big!

However, it still does. I just don't get this. Photoshop in general now is editing very large images. It should be able to handle them also in this feature.

Is this just a legacy message, or is it really true that this feature can only handle small images?

Save for web was originally designed to optimize web graphics by squeezing out bytes while retaining quality.  It was not meant to scale and then optimize large images. This is demonstrated in the alert message.

You could submit a feature request to Adobe to alter the original intent of SFW.

SFW may display 4 versions of an image in various types of optimization. This requires saving 4 temporary files. Imagine trying to save a huge image 4 times at once through 'File-Save As'. This is why you see that alert message. It takes time to generate those temp files, especially when you throw a huge file at it.

Consider a scripted solution to this where a copy of your image is first reduced, then transferred to SFW.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mentor ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one, absolutely nobody needs large images on the web.  That's why Save for Web was designed for web-sized images.

Photoshop is working as designed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tai Lao misunderstands my question. I am referring to the size of the image you begin before you produce a smaller web version.

The problem is that Photoshop appears to have trouble handling large images for this process. Typically, you edit a large photo image. You don't want to resize it, but rather just make a web version (or several smaller versions). That's what this menu command is for, presumably.

Here's how to replicate this: open a 20-30MB photo. Go to File:Save for Web and Devices. You'll get a dialog that says: "The image exceeds the size Save for Web & Devices was designed for. You may experience out of memory errors and slow performance. Are you sure you want to continue?"

Now, I'm working on a machine with tons of RAM, lots of free disk space for paging, no issues there. No other PS operation complains. Why this one? There are lots of image files now that are above 10MB. PS should be able to cope.

To be fair, despite this warning, it will generally work anyway.

I just think in this price zone, PS ought to be able to handle today's large images gracefully. Canon's pro cameras now produce 20MB+ images.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

snorkeler wrote:

Tai Lao misunderstands my question…

No, snorkeler, I do understand your question.  It is you who are misconstruing my remark.

snorkeler wrote:

…I am referring to the size of the image you begin before you produce a smaller web version…

So am I. 

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to Marian Driscoll for clarifying the intent of this File: command. It was not obvious to me that you are not meant to go directly from large images to web or device versions. Perhaps that is made clear in the documentation.

It would be nice to be able to do that. We keep our images high res for print purposes, but also sometimes create web versions of them, and thought that command was for that purpose. Now I realize that I must make a smaller version first. I was trying to avoid the image degradation that creeps in with multiple resizing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are mistaken, Mr. Tai. The warning is inappropriate and should be either removed from the program or allow a “Don’t show this warning again,” option. Of course when saving an image for web I will want a smaller image, that’s why there are options to scale the image. I often start with a larger image when using Save for Web, with the full intention of scaling it down. Warning me is pointless.

It’s as though the door to my house knows I only own a bicycle so it warns me whenever I leave the house with a large package that won’t fit on my bicycle, ignorant of the fact that I have borrowed my mom’s car.

There are many improvements that Save for Web has needed since it was introduced. This warning is one. Another is that it often takes a long time to generate the preview before the user can enter any data, like the actual image size needed. The program takes several seconds to generate a useless preview of a too large image, rather than letting the use set the size first. It is also unforgivable that the presets, in both Illustrator and Photoshop, do not remember scaling.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are entitled to your opinion, Mr. Falkner, but I respectfully disagree with it.

You can always post a feature request for Adobe to consider.  I do not need such a "feature" and I appreciate the alert message.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tai Lao wrote:

You can always post a feature request for Adobe to consider.

I have, several times. I usually call the official feature request page the Memory Hole.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott Falkner wrote:

I usually call the official feature request page the Memory Hole.

I sympathize with that.  It does indeed have the feeling of a black hole in outer space.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do read the user reported bugs and feature requests.

But we get too many to respond to individually.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

snorkeler wrote:

...I was trying to avoid the image degradation that creeps in with multiple resizing.

That should not really be a concern for most situations. If it is, there are plenty of demonstrations of good workflows out on the net. Here is one. You can create an action to automate these steps.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comments, Marian.

As a book publisher, now an iOS app publisher also, it is not clear to me how you discern what Adobe intended for Save for Web and Devices. They don't  tell us much. If you have found more details, please point me to them.

I dig and dig in the documentation, and nowhere see guidance as to its purpose and limitations. I wish there were more. The options and tools in it seem very good for taking an image you use for print, and making a web or iPhone version--better than I find in other tools. Apart from the warning, it sure looks like a general purpose resizing/optimization tool. I would like to know more from Adobe about what Save for Web actually does to my images in this process. Perhaps other tools would be better for images destined for devices such as the iPhone/iPad, rather than the web.

As far as we're concerned, the only issue is that Save for Web doesn't cope well with large files. There are ways to deal with that. Adobe has provided us all with some truly great tools in CS, but perhaps have neglected this corner a bit. Thanks for pointing me to workarounds. They're more awkward, but will get us there.

For my part, I mostly just ignore the warning, use Save for Web, and get my web/device images. Perhaps some day Adobe will tweak Save for Web and make it into the great general purpose tool it could be. In the meantime, they could at least put a 'don't show this message again' checkbox in the warning as Scott Falkner suggests.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is quite easy to discern what Adobe intended... if you are a web/UI designer. I can understand everyone's confusion if they are not web designers. Web/UI designers always work at 100% so scaling is not a big concern in SFW.

I've noticed that SFW has been heavily used by many as a crutch for failing to understand image preparation. We see it often here in the forum.

Someone's image won't save well to JPG that can be emailed to a client? It is probably in 16bit or CMYK. Instead of advising them to sort out their workflow and understand that CMYK and 16 bit imagery is not supported in JPG, we simply say "use SFW". While software is certainly there to make our lives easier, it cannot replace our own common sense. There's no warning on our flatbed scanner that yells at us for scanning a 5x7 photo at 2400 ppi when all we need is a printed reproduction at 4x6 at 300 ppi.

As noted in the link I posted, sharpening is an often needed step after resampling. As SFW does not offer sharpening, it makes sense to prepare an image for the web at 100% before going to SFW.

Of course, there is a place to make feature requests here by following the 'Contact' links at the top and bottom of every adobe.com web page.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My teenage daughter taught me the perils of trying to infer 'intent'. As she succinctly said 'You DON'T know why I did that!" She certainly was correct.

I prefer documentation over trying to guess how something works, or its 'intent'.

As every change you make to an original image degrades it, we prefer to do as little as possible. Preserving the original sharpness in a good picture is better than using 'unsharp mask', which, good as it is, changes things.

We are going from high resolution RAW images to smaller images that display well on a small device such as an iPhone or iPad. We'd like to do that in as few steps as possible, for efficiency. That's all. To the extent that PS makes that possible, we love it. To the extent it makes that elaborate and awkward, we like it less.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

snorkeler wrote:

I prefer documentation over trying to guess how something works, or its 'intent'.

I thought that documentation was provided to you from several sources.

1. A Photoshop developer explicitly stated in this thread that SFW was not intended for image scaling.
  2. Photoshop's help files show a PSD image at 100% being converted to a web image format.
  3. The professional photographer that I linked to shows how they scale an image before going to SFW.

Sharpening an image for the web helps to clarify the information that is lost when you scale it down and lose detail. We might also sharpen images to compensate for the smoothing that may occur during compression in SFW.

If you want a single step solution, consider a droplet so you can process a whole mess of images at once. SFW only lets you process one image at a time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott Falkner wrote:

The program takes several seconds to generate a useless preview of a too large image, rather than letting the use set the size first.

There's the rub. Should we go the route you suggest, we'd lose that warning prompt that the image is too large but we'd be held up with another prompt to enter image dimensions (or click to render the preview) on every image when SFW loads.  That would be more intrusive than the current warning. We're probably dealing with the best option as it is currently designed... unless you can suggest a better idea that requires less clicks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing, except lack of will and perhaps lack of skill, to prevent Adobe from making Photoshop render while letting the user input data. Why not let me change the image size or file format while the image is calculated in the background? If Adobe cared about providing an intuitive and responsive user experience, they would have done this already. So we know how important that is.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That certainly sounds like a feasible plan for Adobe engineers to work on and possibly release in CS6 or CS7.

I'd be more interested in something I can do today on my own terms. I can spend 10 seconds to create an action that scales the image and then passes it on to SFW. A single F-key assigned to this action seems more appealing to my own user experience than smashing the multiple keys required just to fire up SFW.

Here's are the steps I use for an action I call 'Prep 4 SFW' tied to my F12 key:

1) Image Size - scale to width of 1024 pixels (or whatever common size you need for your web template) with constrained proportions, bicubic interpolation

2) Select Save For Web menu item

3) Select previous history state (restores the canvas to the original size after saving as JPG/GIF/PNG in SFW)

This very basic action seems to be much more efficient than any previous programming suggestion in this thread, except of course, when Chris mentioned it in his own post.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marion. I have been frustrated over this same shortcoing of SFW. I am an amateur PS user with CS4. I have read through all the letters and replies concerning this issue and one of the original questions still has not been answered. You seem knowledgable and logical in your contributions to the discussion so perhaps you  could answer it. How big is too big to process a file in Save for the Web and Devices.i would really appreciate your opinion. thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"It is probably in 16bit or CMYK"

While it's true that jpegs don't support 16 bit per channel or alpha channels, there is absolutely no problem saving CMYK files as jpegs when needed.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Oct 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can experiment to see how big is too big.

SFW is designed primarily to experiment with image compression, not image size.The images that I send to it are already sized.

You can set a temporary size to your image before it is passed off to SFW through an action associated with a hot key. At the end of the SFW function, you can have your action restore the image to its original size.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi  again Marion.Many thanks for your advice and info. I am new to this forum process so I hope its Ok to change the topic slightly. Please could you give advice re the following. Most books advise you to resharpen after Saving for Web and Devices. the trouble is if you use the unsharp mask you end up with the image being changed back into  PSD format. then you have to do a Save As to change back  into JPEG format. Is there any way around this?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

geranium16 wrote:

...Most books advise you to resharpen after Saving for Web and Devices....

Which books? You are correct in assuming that it makes no sense.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Save for web was originally designed to optimize web graphics by  squeezing out bytes while retaining quality.  It was not meant to scale  and then optimize large images. This is demonstrated in the alert  message.

and I should care why ? Software does not exist to massage the egos of the programmers, and I (as a programmer for 25 years) do not care a fig for whatever they "intended". It says "save for web" and that's exactly what I want to do - and it offers to shrink the image so one can hardly argue credibly that it wasn't designed to do that. It shouldn't fall to the users to divine the aspirations of the programmers, but contrariwise for the programmers to cater to their users. And don't get me started on the fact that the tool forgets whatever you set it last time despite the obvious fact that you might to squash consecutive images the same way. Much of Photoshop's design is still rooted in the 90s Nnedless to say I have enough RAM and CPU that the tool never does fail despite the fatuous warning!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save for web was originally designed to optimize web graphics by squeezing out bytes while retaining quality.  It was not meant to scale and then optimize large images. This is demonstrated in the alert message.

You could submit a feature request to Adobe to alter the original intent of SFW.

SFW may display 4 versions of an image in various types of optimization. This requires saving 4 temporary files. Imagine trying to save a huge image 4 times at once through 'File-Save As'. This is why you see that alert message. It takes time to generate those temp files, especially when you throw a huge file at it.

Consider a scripted solution to this where a copy of your image is first reduced, then transferred to SFW.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save For Web is not intended to resize images, just to take the appropriately sized image and optimize if for the web (reduce number of colors, reduce quality, strip metadata, etc.).

The warning is there for a reason, and it is a valid and true warning.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification, Chris. I did a search of Help to see if I could find where Adobe told us this about this menu command, and found nothing useful. Where is this menu command (its purpose, and limitations) explained?

Perhaps then you can explain the best way to take a fully edited, cropped, photo, very large, and resize it prior to applying Save for Web and Devices.

Save as doesn't let you change sizes, so that can't be it. Do you really have to first use 'resize', then Save for Web? That seems cumbersome if you have hundreds of pictures to process.

Is there really no way to go straight from a full size picture to a certain size/type/quality level in one step? Say taking a 2400x1600 pixel PSD image, and creating a 480x320 .jpg quality level 10 version? And then doing this as a batch operation on a folder of images?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guru ,
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

snorkeler wrote:

Is there really no way to go straight from a full size picture to a certain size/type/quality level in one step? Say taking a 2400x1600 pixel PSD image, and creating a 480x320 .jpg quality level 10 version? And then doing this as a batch operation on a folder of images?

Of couse there is...

Look up Batch Process and Photoshop Actions in the Help file.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there is, by default, no direct way to resize and save.

You can resize, then save.

You can write an action to resize, save, undo the resize, etc.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Save For Web is not intended to resize images…

What an absurd statement. Of course it is intended to resize images. That’s why there is an Image Size tab in the interface. Of course people will use it to save images at multiple resolutions, such as logos, program icons, and web page widgets. Of course someone exporting an image that’s 3,000 pixels wide will want to resize it. The warning serves only to get in the user’s way and slow things down. If Adobe wants to add features to get in the user’s way and slow things down then they should be… well, I guess they’re doing fine by that already.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It turns out that the Creative Suite's Help files support Mr. Falkner's position:

Save4web.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid to look at the help files in reference to the crop tool.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scott Falkner wrote:

Chris Cox wrote:

Save For Web is not intended to resize images…

What an absurd statement...

I suspect Chris meant to write:

Chris Cox wrote:

Save For Web is not intended to resize [huge] images…

I would not argue with an Adobe developer when they state what they intended with a function. We customers cannot read their minds and know their motivations.

As a web designer, it is pretty easy to assume Adobe's intent with SFW.

While there is certainly an ability to resize an image in the SFW dialog, resizing huge images was not likely Adobe's core intent of this SFW function. SFW is primarily intended for previewing temporarily saved variations of an image to obtain the smallest file size. We're talking about shaving bytes off of an image - - not megabytes. Web and UI artists work at 100% view. Every pixel counts and cannot be resampled. Even though there is an ability to do so, they are not likely resizing a design arbitrarily within the SFW dialog.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any update on this?

I don't care about the intent of the warning, or the best time to resize, sharpen.

I just don't want to have to see the warning again, ever.

Any way to get rid of it?

Thanks, Sheldon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As this thread started with a user's experience with a newly released CS5, you would need to install any CS5 update that has been issued since then.

Supposing that you do not see any change after applying all relevant updates, you should probably try the easy workarounds suggested previously.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for your response Marian.

I am running the the most up-to-date CS5, but this warning has been there for years (in older CS versions).

I skimmed the thread, but I don't see any easy workarounds. Can you point me in the right direction?

--Sheldon.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post #27 has steps you can record in an action.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see you are trying to help, so thank you.

I'm not re-sizing my images, I'm saving out large (by large, I mean full-res) jpegs that get used on client-review website so my clients can view before and after work (retouching) at full res. My website at www.shiftstudio.ca gives the idea, except on the review site the image are even bigger (full-res)

I use SFW because it has more of the features I need than a regular save as does. I just don't want to see the warning any longer. I have to click past it 5-50 times per day.

make sense?

--Sheldon.

www.shiftstudio.ca

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Mar 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using SFW to convert CMYK->RGB or embed/convert/remove color profile data, you might craft an action so that you can use the regular 'Save As'.

If you are using SFW to strip meta data, there are a few googleable utilities that can process a folder full of files in a couple seconds.

Keep in mind that you are not being held up by just this 'image exceeds...' prompt in SFW. SFW is also taking time to render the previews of the optimized versions of your image. You will likely find more speed with a custom action that does a plain save.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This 'warning' appears in both Photoshop and Illustrator... my problem is in Illustrator. I have a very simple, 100 pixel square RGB graphic that I am trying to use SFW with and get the warning. I am sure there is something I am missing but I just wanted to use SFW to make a 25x25 pixel PNG version of my 100x100 pixel original and not only get the memory warning, if I say that I want to continue, it actually does run out of memory and fails! Any suggestions on a work around for me?  Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your size and resolution info -- you wouldn't get that warning if the image were only 100 pixels on a side.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it is hard to believe but I've run into this multiple times with small 50x50 pixel or 100x100 pixel drawings.

To reproduce:

1. Open Adobe Illustrator

2. From file menu, select New...

3. Settings on panel:

New document profile: Custom

Number of artboards: 1

Size: Custom

Width: 100 px     Units: Pixels

Height: 100 px

Bleed: 0/0/0/0

Color mode: RGB

Raster effects: Screen (72 ppi)

Transparency grid: Medium

Preview mode: Default

4. Select the Line segment tool (\)

5. Draw a line segment

6. Change its weight to 6 pt

7. Change end caps to round

8. From edit menu, select Copy

9. From Edit menu, select Paste in Front

10. From Object menu, select Transform/Rotate...

11. Choose 38 degrees, and OK

12. Select the Selection Tool (V)

13. Select the first line segment drawn and drag it to the right a little

14. Select the other line segment and drag it a little

15. Click outside, someplace away from the line segments, to deselect them all

16. From File menu, select Save for Web and Devices

17. May get memory warning... or you may get Save for Web and Devices dialogue

If no memory warning, repeat steps 13-15.

It is somewhat random, sometimes after fiddling around I get the warning,

sometimes I don't, I can't figure out what triggers and how to get it to

stop.

So, as far as anything I can figure out (but I am a real novice with Illustrator), the image is really only 100 px on a side, and has nothing other than simple geometries in it, yet I get this error. As I am generating a bunch of simple arrows, pointers, etc., icons for an application I have been seeing this warning a lot.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, SaveForWeb will not, can not, give that warning for an image that small.  That means that the image given to SaveForWeb is actually much larger.

But you might get more answers in the Illustrator forum - they probably have a better idea why Illustrator is feeding SaveForWeb a larger image than the document you specified.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you firmly believe that it "will not, can not, give that warning for an image that small". I also have seen it over and over with drawings that small. I think that maybe "it should not give that warning for an image that small" is far more accurate, unless there is a bug in the program or unless, as you assert, my drawing is actually much larger. I do not know how to see if the image is actually larger but, as I described, I have only asked for a 100x100 pixel RGB image at 72 ppi. Telling customers they must be crazy because what they are seeing is impossible is poor customer service. Did you bother to open Illustrator to see?

I searched the Illustrator forum and there is no thread having to do with SaveForWeb and the image exceeds the size save for web... I had hoped since people on this forum were familiar with the issue they could point out what I am doing wrong or why Illustrator thinks my drawing is far larger than it is.

I did manage to get it to generate the error every time, without fail. If you want proof that it will and can give that error for an image that small you should take the 30 seconds it would take to test it. Create a document, set it to 100x100 pixels, select the Line Segment Tool (\), draw a line segment, select the Selection Tool (V), click to the left of the rulers so the line segment is no longer selected and the rulers disappear, select Save for Web & Devices... from the menu. Bang! Warning! Every time!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guru ,
Jun 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Telling customers they must be crazy because what they are seeing is impossible is poor customer service. Did you bother to open Illustrator to see?

Chris is a Photoshop Engineer. From what I can tell...  very separate departments at Adobe. And he is NOT a customer service rep, so drop the attitude.

His response to you was in no way insulting or dismissive. He suggested you post in the AI forum, which I gather you did not. Search in these fora is spotty at best.

Can you repeat this in Photoshop?

If this were a bug, I'm sure we would see many others having this exact problem.

I can't reproduce it.

Have you tried resetting your AI Preferences?

Have you tried trashing your AI Save for Web Preferences? (home>Library>Preferences>Adobe Save For Web AI X.xx)

It would also be helpful to include details like OS version, PS and AI versions, and make sure they are all up to date.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you bother to open Illustrator to see?

Yes, I did.  No warning, no problems.

I also opened the source code for Save For Web and double checked the conditions for that warning before making my post.

Save For Web gives the warning, because the image it was given by Illustrator is larger than expected.

For some reason, Illustrator is creating a much larger image than you specified.

Unfortunately, there are multiple controls in Illustrator that could cause that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LavaSlider,

I'm with guru Cox on this one too.

Perhaps your Illustrator installation or its preferences are corrupted and the application is actually using different units than what it's showing.  I would, for instance, definitely expect a 100 m x 100 m image @72 ppi to throw that error message at you.  But this is a question for the experts at the Illustrator forum.  I can't remotely help you, because my Illustrator needs are very, very modest and I make do with version 10.0.3, which does a heck of a lot more than I'll ever need—just as Photoshop 11.0.2 ("CS4") does.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LavaSlider wrote:

...Telling customers they must be crazy because what they are seeing is impossible is poor customer service....

I'm not seeing where Chris said that you were crazy.

Based on your whacked perception of what Chris typed, it seems difficult to deny that you are crazy. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Chris says it is impossible and I am saying I see it, then the

implication is that I must be hallucinating, since, if it is impossible,

it can't be there. Only crazy people hallucinate, right?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Chris. I was trying to figure out what those other controls might be. I did not know you had tried it or looked at the code.

I still don't think I'm hallucinating, so it is not impossible. I just need to figure out what I'm doing wrong to cause it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're still making quite a crazy leap to infer an implication that simply was not there.

What you see is unusual if not impossible on a normally functioning system. We have no idea what you have. I don't see where you specified your software and system versions. That could certainly help troubleshoot the matter.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple Illustrator possibilities....

a) you aren't acutally working on a 100x100px artboard. Perhaps it's set to 100x100 inches and you hadn't noticed.

b) You've unlocked or released a guide and that guide is being seen when calling the SFW dialog. A full pasteboard guide is absolutely above what SFW will allow.

c) you really are crazy

The above being posted.... I do so wish there were a way to save large (dimensioned) image files without all the superfluous information (meta data, previews, etc) other than only via SFW. In some modern CSS web layouts, a very large background image can be benficial if you can get it under 150-200k. Unfortunately SFW chokes and all you're left with is export at times.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I've figured out what I was doing wrong... and I'm satisfied now that I am not crazy, I'll leave it to you whether you agree or not.

a) My art board was in fact 100x100 pixels, so that was not the problem.

b) I don't know about unlocking or releasing guides, too new at the whole Creative Suite stuff.

c) Nope, not crazy just a noob with CS-5.

I tried to see if it would happen in Photoshop but could not reproduce it there, but this is my explanation for what was going wrong:

When I was deselecting the graphic I had just drawn, before going to SFW, sometimes I was clicking outside the artboard. Illustrator was, I guess, trying to help me out and automatically creating or selecting artboard #2 (this just changed a little 1 to a 2 at the bottom left corner of the window that I did not notice). Then it seems like SFW was getting artboard #2, which was empty, and instead of generating an error message of "The selected artboard contains no graphics" it treated it like it was too big.

It does not happen with artboard #1 with nothing drawn on it so it must have to do with artboard #2 not be totally initialized or something. Does Photoshop have artboards too?

Thanks everyone for all your help. Life is much simpler now. I was doing an Export... to a PNG from Illustrator for every drawing, then opening them in Photoshop, then doing a SFW from Photoshop to have the features it offered for resizing, setting color depth, etc., for web optimization, and that was getting quite tedious.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SFW doesn't see the artboard details - it just gets an image from Illustrator.

If you'd like Illustrator to give an error in a similar case, you should request that in the Illustrator forums.

No, Photoshop does not have artboards.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, with the non-existent 2nd artboard inadvertently being

selected, SFW must be getting a null pointer or uninitialized object

instead of an image and clearly not the image that I have drawn on

artboard 1.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I honestly don't know what Illustrator hands off to SFW in that case.  Only the Illustrator team would know.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting dozens of replies to this email w hich i did not send!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
SG___ LATEST
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You replied in earlier posts, so you're automatically getting email notifications. To turn this off, go the the upper right 'Actions' section and click 'Stop email notifications'.

regards,

steve

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our original full sphere panorama images are 6000 x 3000px 16bit 105mb .TIF's.

Photoshop CS4  works

We converted them to 6000 x 3000px  8bit  .tif.  When using Save for Web and Devices we would get the "Warning 'Image exceeds".  We clicked "yes" knowing that it would take some time.... but that was ok.  The two pane panel properly dispalyed our 2 images. Original pane shows 7.5mb.  By using the compression slider we are able to get the file down to our desired file size of 6.5mb

Photoshop CS5 does not work

We converted them to 6000 x 3000px  8bit  .tif.  When using Save for Web and Devices we would get the "Warning 'Image exceeds".  We clicked "yes" knowing that it would take some time.... but that was ok.  The two pane panel is displayed now in RED overlay and fails to let us go any farther.

Obviously, programmers really do know the maximum file size that can be handled in Save for Web.  Question is why isn't the maximum file size shown in the documentation... then there would no SFW issue to talk about here in the forum.

Guess that is why I am still using CS4 for conversions  and later using CS5.5 for our normal work flow.

/s/

Dave still at 360Texas.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS4 and CS5 are two different programs. CS4 is based on Carbon and CS5 is Cocoa. You may be experiencing a bug that crept in through this transition. You can report the bug here.

SFW's image formats (GIF/PNG/JPG) may have their own unique size limitations so the initial warning you see before SFW loads would not be able to know your intent yet. This is why a general warning appears.

If SFW was actually used on images intended for web and device display (as it was intended) then there would be no SFW issue to talk about here in the forum. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry I forgot to mention,  we are on a PC Windows Vista.

So I know CS 4 SFW works and CS 5 SFW does not work.   Our output is to .jpg only.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guru ,
Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS4 and CS5 are two different programs. CS4 is based on Carbon and CS5 is Cocoa. You may be experiencing a bug that crept in through this transition. You can report the bug here.

FYI, "Photoshop Family" bug reporting is actually here now:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/

(And Feature Requests has moved there too)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Valorous Hero ,
Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All roads lead to the same place. But you saved an extra click.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,  I did cross post our issue at the URL you recommended.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Guru ,
Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All roads lead to the same place. But you saved an extra click.

Actually a scroll and 2 clicks.

More importantly, the "place" is very different now. It is a lot less formal way to report a problem or request a feature. I'm curious how well that venue will work - especially when a new PS version comes out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

texas360 wrote:

…Sorry I forgot to mention,  we are on a PC Windows Vista…

Are you aware that you're posting to the Adobe Photoshop MACINTOSH forum?

The confusion you caused led to your receiving some Mac-specific tips.  You can disregard any reference to Carbon and Cocoa

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opps no did not realize ... ah now I see up at the top Photoshop Mac.

I actually arrived here using Adobe's search feature that did not have a box to specify the Forum platform...

Thanks for the heads up...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines