• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The new line tool is unusable for OPEN polylines and dashed lines.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the wish by Photoshop to create lines that work the same way as in vector programs, where you can draw a line and then change its thickness.

However, the way it was implemented, it is impossible to create open shapes, ones in which the first and last points are not connected.

If I try to use the pen tool, it always creates closed shapes. there is no way to create an open shape. 

If I try to create it segment by segment using the line tool, it's also impossible: once I created the first segment, the two end points become active and it is impossible to draw another line becasue when you click over the end of the last line all you can do is move the last line's endpoint.

the only workaround is to create separate lines and then move the vertices to overlap - this is time consuming and infuriating.

As for dashed lines, again the fact that all shapes are closed makes it impossible to apply on lines. the dash is applied twice - once in each direction -  on each line, and you end up with either a continuous line or a dashed line with uneven dahses.

Lastly the fact that a selected line always has transform frame around it with no way to turn it off means that it's impossible to drag svery small shapes, you try dragging and end up rescaling them or dragging the rotation center. in vecror programs, the transform frame is always visible as well, but you can deselect and then click-and-drag a shape. in photoshop you can't click and drag, you have to select first.

The bottom line is, as much as getting photoshop to be more like a true vector program in its treatment of shapes is a noble intention, implementing only partially and ignoring elements such as open/close shapes causes the updated tool to be much, much, worse that the old one from multiple use cases.

At the very least, preserving the old way things work should have been possible.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»If I try to use the pen tool, it always creates closed shapes. there is no way to create an open shape.«

It is possible to create Shape Layers with an open Path. (edited)

Screenshot 2021-03-09 at 15.54.10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»As for dashed lines, again the fact that all shapes are closed makes it impossible to apply on lines. the dash is applied twice - once in each direction -  on each line, and you end up with either a continuous line or a dashed line with uneven dahses.«

»Lastly the fact that a selected line always has transform frame around it«

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct

The implementation puts the stroke around the path which means that a pattern of dots and dashes

(stroke 4 gap 2 stroke 2 gap 2) looks like this when stroked outside the path - (correct dot and dash pattern but doubled)

davescm_0-1615302512209.png

but becomes this when stroked to centre of the path (overlapping eliminates the pattern)

davescm_1-1615302523265.png

You can raise bug reports/feature requests at the link below , where they will be seen by Adobe staff.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

The pen tool though does work correctly

davescm_0-1615302837097.png

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP also mentions the Pen Tool and for that the issue does simply not seem to apply (at least for Shape Layers with one SubPathItem). 

And

»transform frame around it«

sounds like they might have the Move Tool set to »Show Transform Controls« which is not connected to the Line Tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree it is only the line tool that has the problem

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of what you describe actually seems to be unrelated (»transform frame«) but Reports about the unintended/unwanted changes to the Line Tool have already been reported:  

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-220-where-is-line-weightwidth-and-p...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am completely baffled why they removed the pixel line tool capability in Photoshop. Architects and artists, students are constantly using it with the grid to do sketches of buildings and hard-edged objects. I feel like canceling my subscription because of this. THIS IS A MAJOR DEAL. I cannot get it to work right and it keeps adding arrows at the end of each line. I can't quickly sketch out horizon lines or perspective lines anymore. The artist community must be in complete mourning over this. I'm going back to the old Photoshop until they fix it. It doesn't seem to be a priority since it has been a problem for months. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

»THIS IS A MAJOR DEAL.«

I disagree, but maybe you could provide meaningful descriptions of the scenarios where Shape Layers don’t provide a useful alternative. 

»I cannot get it to work right and it keeps adding arrows at the end of each line.«

Why don’t you turn off the arrowheads?  

Screenshot 2021-03-10 at 08.09.31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines