Highlighted

The new transform tool overhaul sucks.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had to chime in, even though Adobe is a company that's "Too Big to Care" these days.

I have lost hours of productivity because of how drastically they changed the transform tools.

First, I had to spend an hour trying to figure out why none of the key modifiers worked anymore, why there was no reference point, and why I can no longer drag guides into my image while the transform tool is active.

#1. In order to revert your PREFERENCE back to the legacy version of how this works, you have to add a user prefs TEXT FILE to your adobe preferences folder? Why couldn't you just add a checkbox in the preferences like all of the other stupid UI "features" you've added that nobody wants — such as "scrubby zoom" and "animated zoom" etc.?

#2. I had to go watch a YOUTUBE video on how to get my reference point back because it was not intuitive. Granted, it's a simple checkbox in the tool options I admit I should have looked at more closely for this.

#3. You can no longer drag guides into your document with the transform tool active without COMMITTING your transform the second you click on the ruler. I found out through experimentation that you CAN do it if you hold down OPT or CMD, I don't even know which one it is yet because I need to commit that to muscle memory now. In the meantime I've had to REDO complex skew / distort transformations SEVERAL times because I accidentally clicked on the ruler to drag a guide into the document only to have the transform committed to the document before I was ready.

I am so sick of hipster douche bags who think the answer to making software better is to DUMB IT DOWN.

If anyone can give me ONE benefit other than "they did this to make it work better on touch screens" I might try and force myself to adapt to this new way of doing things, but the reality was that some douche hipster developer decided to change things around that weren't broken in the first place to make them WORSE so that he/she could say "look what I did" at the stupid scrum meeting.

There are other things I absolutely hate about this most recent update, but this is my biggest one.

I am sure Adobe employees don't even bother reading their own forum threads, but if you do, pay attention to your user base and stop re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic and claiming you gave us some "new feature" because as far as I can see there is nothing NEW or beneficial here. And if your goal was to make it more "mobile friendly" by making a one size fits all solution — then you are going to end up with a horrible desktop AND mobile experience because the 2 experiences have different needs.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

The new transform tool overhaul sucks.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had to chime in, even though Adobe is a company that's "Too Big to Care" these days.

I have lost hours of productivity because of how drastically they changed the transform tools.

First, I had to spend an hour trying to figure out why none of the key modifiers worked anymore, why there was no reference point, and why I can no longer drag guides into my image while the transform tool is active.

#1. In order to revert your PREFERENCE back to the legacy version of how this works, you have to add a user prefs TEXT FILE to your adobe preferences folder? Why couldn't you just add a checkbox in the preferences like all of the other stupid UI "features" you've added that nobody wants — such as "scrubby zoom" and "animated zoom" etc.?

#2. I had to go watch a YOUTUBE video on how to get my reference point back because it was not intuitive. Granted, it's a simple checkbox in the tool options I admit I should have looked at more closely for this.

#3. You can no longer drag guides into your document with the transform tool active without COMMITTING your transform the second you click on the ruler. I found out through experimentation that you CAN do it if you hold down OPT or CMD, I don't even know which one it is yet because I need to commit that to muscle memory now. In the meantime I've had to REDO complex skew / distort transformations SEVERAL times because I accidentally clicked on the ruler to drag a guide into the document only to have the transform committed to the document before I was ready.

I am so sick of hipster douche bags who think the answer to making software better is to DUMB IT DOWN.

If anyone can give me ONE benefit other than "they did this to make it work better on touch screens" I might try and force myself to adapt to this new way of doing things, but the reality was that some douche hipster developer decided to change things around that weren't broken in the first place to make them WORSE so that he/she could say "look what I did" at the stupid scrum meeting.

There are other things I absolutely hate about this most recent update, but this is my biggest one.

I am sure Adobe employees don't even bother reading their own forum threads, but if you do, pay attention to your user base and stop re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic and claiming you gave us some "new feature" because as far as I can see there is nothing NEW or beneficial here. And if your goal was to make it more "mobile friendly" by making a one size fits all solution — then you are going to end up with a horrible desktop AND mobile experience because the 2 experiences have different needs.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Most Valuable Participant ,
Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you starting a new thread on this in a users forum? If you want to give Adobe your feedback please use their feedback site. You may want to read these.

https://forums.adobe.com/search.jspa?place=%2Fplaces%2F1413024&q=2019+Transform

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like I'm far from alone. Thanks for the link LOL. I haven't been on these forums in a long time.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree and I have to say something.  I gave it my best shot to learn the new setup but they need to fire the dumb ass that thought this one up

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

You can revert it back to the old way, more info

Transform objects in Photoshop

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did revert it back to the old setting and now the direct selection tool when shift selecting multiple objects to drag has a lag. I’m not very technical with versions or descriptions of photoshop tool history however when new users transition to intermediate and advance use skills they learn the (shift, control, option, etc) keys all do something when combined with specific tools and it should be their duty placed on them by photoshop to advance this skill with that mindset. As an advanced level photoshop user of 10 years I usually look forward to the updates understanding they add value to the software advancing its capabilities, I was extremely disappointed when one of the tools I use the most was dumbed down and made harder for advanced users. I gave it a month or so to relearn muscle memory until I finally realized someone at adobe got their way and was just plain wrong in their choice.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam:

A few thoughts for you (and others sharing your frustration):

1. When Adobe releases a major update (or any update), take a few minutes to review the What's New page so that you are alerted to the changes. This can save you hours of frustration because now you won't be blindsided by a simple interface update or miss a major new feature. I recommend bookmarking this page: New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC
  2. I have been teaching Photoshop since version 3 and new users struggle specifically with the reference point (they move it instead of the object) and scaling proportionately (they forget to hold the Shift key). The workflow changes that were so frustrating to you are a game changer for new users. Advanced users can reestablish the old behavior if they like, as you figured out.
  3. Adobe does listen to the users. This is a user-to-user forum (users helping each other resolve workflow issues) but Adobe has a page for users to communicate with the Photoshop team: Photoshop Family Customer Community. This is another important page to bookmark because not only can you share your frustration with the folks who can address issues in a future upgrade (as users, we can't), you will be alerted to other issues immediately. The day that CC 2019 was released, there was lots of talk both on the community forum and the customer community page on the interface updates.
  4. My final recommendation is to pop over here and ask question as it arises. Chances are someone beat you to it and it is already addressed, but we are here to help. The quicker you ask as a question, the quicker you can get back to work.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb

I have been using PS since PS3 can you explain why Adobe Photoshop development and support has been so poor and has gone down hill even more after CS3.  This is not the first time Adobe has impacted users work habits. Since CS6 all new releases of PS seem to have so many bugs.  A bug reported in CS2 is still in CC 2019.  Why does Adobe feel that they do not need to fix bugs that only effect small percent of their user. A few percent here and a few percent there start adding up when your user community is like 12,000,000 subscribers.

How many version of PS do you keep installed? How many bugs do you  have a work around for?  Years ago I look forward and could hardly wait for a new PS release that end with CS6.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMack :

I'm a user like you so I really can't answer your question about bugs or support. I know you know this—but for others—post the questions that only Adobe can answer on the Problems page: Photoshop Family Customer Community.

I can say that I was at MAX this past fall (which I highly recommend) and did get to chat a bit with the Photoshop team, so I know that they made the two interface changes that Adam mentioned specifically to address the steep learning curve for new users. I'm a user and a trainer so I see it from both sides: great for a brand new user, but advanced users have to adapt or adjust their preferences. My point to Adam is that there are strategies we can implement for staying abreast of the updates and the bugs, and implementing them earlier rather than later will minimize the frustration. (Not eliminate, minimize.)

As for how many versions I keep installed? I teach and use (and support) InDesign, InCopy, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat and FrameMaker. I keep three versions installed of each: the two latest versions plus CS6 on the CC side and FrameMaker 2015 (before its major interface change). If a new release is buggy, my strategy is to use the older version until I see here that it's stable. And I have learned the hard way to never upgrade an application or an operating system when I'm in the middle of a job with a deadline or before I start a new class.

I'm a realist. Life requires that we develop coping strategies. So do computer applications.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I'm a realist also.  I feel it is important that Adobe  users need to know they need to also be realist. 

Photoshop is a very complex product a feature rich program.   Photoshop with all its faults is still the Image process I choose to use.  While I feel Adobe should do better by their users being a realist I know what I will get. 

It is very Important to keep an old working version of Photoshop installed.  I felt  Adobe abused their users when by default they started to remove working versions of Photoshop when uses install a new version of Photoshop.  I am happy to see Adobe has reverted their installers to once again leave old application version installed.  

I also do not use Adobe uninstall process to remove old versions of Photoshop. They always seem to mess my system up. I remove old version manually including Adobe uninstall program.  I use windows. Windows registry is very complex if things are working correctly I do not want Adobe uninstall program  messing with my windows registry.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack  wrote

I have been using PS since PS3 can you explain why Adobe Photoshop development and support has been so poor and has gone down hill even more after CS3. 

How many version of PS do you keep installed?

JJ,

I am also a trainer and work with new users. In every class since PS3 when I started, I have spent at least five minutes explaining how to confirm the transformation of an image is proportional and then I watch as one or two students proceed to distort.

I was formatting a 600 page book a couple of years ago and they asked me to duplicate the type on the cover for an inside page. They were not happy with what I did. Why? I actually spoke to the person who did the original after I saw the text was distorted and asked her how she resized it. Oh, I don't know, she replied, I just dragged it. Totally unintentional distortion, and I had to repeat it!

So I totally understand the move to proportional by default for images. And when I have a rectangle I do not want to resize proportionally most of the time. I do wish the link checkbox worked so that unlinking the W&H allowed users to distort.

The round table at Adobe MAX was awesome as the engineers wanted feedback from us, and we gave it. Plus one of the engineers gave a session to the ACPs not long ago where he also asked for feedback. Attending these sessions and meeting the engineers in the various programs has been a very valuable experience.

I have five or six versions on my older computer with an older operating system and only three on my current computer. I never remove older versions, as I don't know when I will need them to be compatible with someone else's system.

Fixing bugs would be good. Not creating new ones would be better! Not being an engineer, I don't know how hard this is.

And I still look forward to the new releases. We hear all the new features during the Adobe MAX conference. Last year there were almost 15,000 attendees.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK you understand why they did it that easy but why did they not do it correctly? Why constrain some transforms not all. So now the shift key is sometimes the unconstraint key and sometimes the shift key is the constrain key.   Brilliant!! I change back to the old consistent Shift key being the constrain key.

I blame Adobe management for bug not being fixes and for too many being released.  It is management job to put into place development procedure to review design changes, process for developing code and testing, Develop test  cases to verify changes  work and also do regression testing to make sure function has not been broken..  If good development procedures are not in place bugs will multiply.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JJMack:

Why constrain some transforms not all. So now the shift key is sometimes the unconstraint key and sometimes the shift key is the constrain key.

Again, this is new-user focused:

• New users immediately want to transform photos.
  • New users do not immediately work with shapes.

Should we standardize? Yes, but that's where we are today. Because Jane and I have spent 30 years teaching (edited: was “teaching Photoshop”), I suspect we are more in tune with that sort of thing than most people.

Photoshop has an incredibly steep learning curve. Adobe is trying to make it a little easier. I have a very clear memory of my first day learning Photoshop—trying to lasso a plate of crawdads with one undo and no layers (v 2.5). It was very, very painful.

I give kudos to Adobe for trying to make it a little easier for the newbies, while allowing the advanced users to maintain their original workflow. Now, it's finally stopped snowing so I'm going outside to play. Happy weekend to all of you,

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought you wrote you have been teaching Photoshop since Photoshop version 3 that was release 24 years ago you were teaching Photoshop 3 six years before it was released you are good. 

IMO its not good to do thing wrong for neebes by disrupting your customers work that have set a lot of money Adobe way.

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJMack  wrote

I thought you wrote you have been teaching Photoshop since Photoshop version 3 that was release 24 years ago you were teaching Photoshop 3 six years before it was released you are good. 

Hahaha, we are good! We used to teach in the same training center along with a couple of other ACPs who will confirm!

I caught that too, though — Barb meant 30 years of teaching, not 30 years of teaching PS. She started with PS 2.5; my first was 3.0.

Probably, though, JJ, you want to put your concerns on the feature request page where the engineers will track it: Photoshop Family Customer Community.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nay that will not change reality.   I start using Photoshop a little bit when Photoshop version 3 was current.  A do not think Adobe will change its ways seems much the same as it was 24 years ago perhaps somewhat downhill from then. For I no longer look forward to new version of Photoshop. However, CS6 and CC 2014 are good version of Photoshop for my use. So I do install new versions when they are released I give them a shot.

Adobe Support track record for my bug reports is not one I'm happy with. While Adobe acknowledges them as being bugs Adobe only fixed some other are years old are not being fixed and an other one Adobe stated they added by design.  Seems Photoshop does not know the difference between the metadata Info field and the metadata copyright information.   Adobe want to protect the Copyright yet Photoshop will strip the copyright for me and allow me to change the copyright information to whatever I want. Great protection Adobe.... I fix the info metadat field by adding "Garbage"

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for getting this thread back on track, Jane-e.

You are correct, of course, and I edited my earlier post to reflect that.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jan 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, BarbBinder!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also my frustrations with Adobe,  if you are going to make drastic changes, make it across the board. If you're going to mess with the transform tool in Photoshop,  believing this is the best step forward, do it across the board. This transform tool is really Frustrating. Feels like Adobe is running out of ideas, so you're just trying to fix things that didnt need fixing.      

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new transform tool maddens me to no end... other designers in the studio HATE it too, I'm at the point of  reverting to use Microsoft Paint 1995.  Please change it back ASAP

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
JJMack LATEST
Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is an Option you have in your Photoshop Preference use it.

image.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines