• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TIFF file over 4GB - print project

Participant ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys! Few minutes ago I finished project ready to print. I have to save files for printing house, and I have small problem. Enabled fIles extensions are: TIFF, raw, jps, jpg, mpo, psb. I need TIFF but there is a limit =4GB. My project is bigger. Is the any way to save bigger files in TIFF? If not the best extension will be...? JPG?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s a design limit of TIFF. Your file is extraordinarily large so ask the printing house. Don’t try to second guess them. They might want PSB or insist you make it smaller or something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tiff file format supports data compression and can save a flattened version without layers. Have you tried all the data compression options available to see if any will save under 4GB

Reduce to 8 Bit Color if 16 bit color to cut the size in half.  Also 8 Bit color can use Jpeg  compression however its a lossy compression your image will loose much quality below quality 10.

Most Printers only support 8bit color....

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

JJMack is right if you select discard Layers under Layer Compression under the Layer Compression options that should decrease your file size considerably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to get it out of the way: a file in excess of 4GB is enormous, much larger than anyone would normally ever need.

You don't need 300ppi for large format prints. The larger, the lower the ppi. In fact, a wall-sized banner needs about the same amount of pixels as a magazine spread. The pixels are just printed bigger.

So the point is - is this for some very special purpose, or are you just making a banner / billboard for normal viewing distance? If the latter this is overkill and wasted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps a large stitched panorama may have that much pixel detail Paris 26 Gigapixels - Interactive virtual tour of the most beautiful monuments of Paris  needs a huge print to be examined close up to see the intermit details. More that 2000 stitched photos. Yes not normal...

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know that, I've made 7GB files. The point is that a lot of people out there believe anything for print has to be 300ppi regardless of size. We've had three or four here only in the last week or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes viewing distance can reduce the number of pixels you need greatly for an acceptable image for a billboard.  Still a 8bit color  26Gigapixel image would be 78GB of pixel data before compression.  You do not need 26Gigapixels for a billboard print you would discard almost all the details you have for yourimage for a billboard print for your your billboard scenic view of paris.  You need to resample your image.....

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case of fabric printing you do need 300 dpi and even 600 dpi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Amine33885237htg6 

I can't believe fabric can resolve 300 pixels per inch. How many threads per inch in the fabric?

I'd think 75 ppi is a more realistic number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I have used PhotoZoom pro to increase dpi after I have saved it in Tiff format with smaller dpi and app uses intelligent math algorithms to increase the overall quality of the image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you certain this workflow increases the quality of the image?

By the way, the correct terminology for this is PPI, not DPI which is the term for printer resolution (not to be confused with LPI which is used for half-tone resolution)

The inconvenience of the increased size of TIFF files, for an imperceptible increase in quality, IMO makes lightly compressed (say 10) JPGs a preferred format for saving and distributing images in almost all scenarios.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 22, 2020 Sep 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, TheGraf

Whats your question please?
And why did you need to do that? What is the image use to be?

"app uses intelligent math algorithms to increase the overall quality of the image" 

it would HAVE to be intelligent as it's making up detail. 

I hope this helps

thanks
neil barstow, colourmanagement.net :: adobe forum volunteer
[please do not use the reply button on a message within the thread, only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines