• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tolerance for Quick Selection tool

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2011 Feb 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wondering if there is a way to select tolerance for the Quick Selection tool - just like the tolerance option for Magic Wand.  Way too often I find that Quick Selection selects too much, so...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 02, 2011 Feb 02, 2011

The logic in the Quick Selection tool is different enough from the Magic Wand that a numerical Tolerance option probably doesn't apply, but there is a way to make it select less. Do you know about the Option key trick? If clicking the Quick Selection tool selected too much, Option-click the Quick Selection tool on the areas you didn't want to select. That teaches the Quick Selection tool not to select similar areas again. Having done that, the next time you click the Quick Selection tool it shou

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The logic in the Quick Selection tool is different enough from the Magic Wand that a numerical Tolerance option probably doesn't apply, but there is a way to make it select less. Do you know about the Option key trick? If clicking the Quick Selection tool selected too much, Option-click the Quick Selection tool on the areas you didn't want to select. That teaches the Quick Selection tool not to select similar areas again. Having done that, the next time you click the Quick Selection tool it should be more accurate. By alternately clicking the areas you want, and Option-clicking the areas you don't want, you progressively narrow down your selection until you get the selection you like. Then you can use the Refine Edge button to tune the edge.

In other words, instead of fiddling with Tolerance numbers, you can teach the tool by clicking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for clarifying info about Quick Selection too.  I will follow your instructions, so by and by, me and my computer should get to know each other better, or at least the computer should get to know me better, taking over more work - leaving me to take pictures.  Unless, of course, if my camera picks up on my preferences and then starts shooting on its own - leaving me to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Bent (and others), search for "Conrad Chavez" on Amazon.com

Look at the quality of his post here, then you know what to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it "learning" like in AI deep learning? are we temporarily "teaching" the algorithm? Or is it simply subtracting colors by taking a second/ new sample of colors ?  Two very different things.  Just curious as this understanding may help in the future. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The closest of your ideas is probably the one where you said we’re temporarily teaching the algorithm. The Quick Selection tool is a step up from the Magic Wand tool, which is nothing but a simple value range, because the Quick Selection tool tries to identify content edges that the Magic Wand tool would totally miss. But it’s probably still algorithmic; I don’t think the Quick Selection tool is as advanced as an AI/machine learning solution which has been taught by examples.

Only the most recent versions of Photoshop have added AI-type selection tools like Select Subject, the Object Selection tool, and the related Remove Background feature. Those are taught to identify likely subjects on their own, and so they do an impressive job with little or no input from the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines