Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Tool changes to previous automatically

New Here ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all.

I have this annoying issue  with photoshop since cs6.

I alway work using keyboard shortcuts and when I select a tool, for example the selection tool "M", and I cancel a portion of layer with canc/delete key, automatically photoshop turn back on the previously used tool. It happens 8 times out of 10.

I heard many people had this issue with cs6 blaming the ram but I'm using the latest cc version and I'm running 16gb of ram.

The issue is pretty annoying cause is slowing down my working flow and it forces me to click the tool with the mouse everytime.

Is there any possible fix to this problem that you may know?

Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Hello, it is not a bug, but a feature.

That is called spring-loaded tool, it allows you to temporarily switch to a given tool, use it, and return to the previous tool.

For instance: you use the brush tool, then hold Z, click to zoom, release the Z key and you get the Brush tool you had before.

You need to click quickly to switch tool permanently.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2009/03/springloaded_cursors.html

[edit] You can now adjust the behavior of this function in Preferences/Tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2017 Sep 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for quicker answers"):

http://forums.adobe.com/docs/DOC-2325

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Have you tried trouble-shooting the tablet and drivers (if a tablet is involved)?

Photoshop CS6 Keyboard Shortcuts Malfunctioning - Tool size change reverts to previous tool | Photos...

Is »Use Shift Key for Tool Switch« checked in the Tools Preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2022 Sep 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please stop 'helping' like this. This is Microsoft help boards level of generic non-response. You're just fishing for points and have an exorbitant amount of replies most of which I am sure boil down to these copy-paste responses.

The person had a specific issue, and as another user correctly pointed out, the issue is the Spring-Loaded Tool feature, and as of 2022 can be disabled by going to Preferences > Tools > unticking the 'Spring-Loaded Tool', or setting a longer milisecond delay to prevent accidental reverts when heavy editing is involved and Photoshop starts to slow down.

See? That's how you write an actual solution along with an explanation of why this behavior occurs.

Quality, not quantity please. Posts like yours make user's life harder and avert people from asking in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you want to explain to me how to behave on this Forum I have been contributing to for a while now? 

If you don’t understand the value of copy-pasting boilerplate-text on a Forum like this give it some time. 

That you are just »sure« most of my posts »boil down to these copy-paste responses« does not exactly strengthen your position. 

Edit: It does seem like specious reasoning to assume that if a person has made many posts most of those posts must be »copy-paste responses«

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those links you posted don't even work and are irrelevant to the question.

The correct answer was: Edit > Preferences > Tools > unticking the 'Spring-Loaded Tool'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2023 Apr 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those links you posted don't even work and are irrelevant to the question.

If you are referring to the links in the post from Sep 11, 2017: 

It’s from 2017 and the linked articles may have been moved or removed in the meantime. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And that's exactly why you shouldn't be helping with links, they break down after some time but people may find this post even after years, like me right now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2023 Jun 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And that's exactly why you shouldn't be helping with links, 

I disagree; while links may »break« in many cases duplicating the texts and images from an article would not only be impractical but possibly legally problematic to boot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May be it's your PC problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 12, 2017 Sep 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, it is not a bug, but a feature.

That is called spring-loaded tool, it allows you to temporarily switch to a given tool, use it, and return to the previous tool.

For instance: you use the brush tool, then hold Z, click to zoom, release the Z key and you get the Brush tool you had before.

You need to click quickly to switch tool permanently.

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2009/03/springloaded_cursors.html

[edit] You can now adjust the behavior of this function in Preferences/Tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

is it possible to disable that feature ? I cant find anything about it.

I'm using a shortcut for decreasing and increasing brush size, and if I want to decrease the brush size by a lot, I hold down the shortcut but when I release it, it switches to the previous tool, which is super annoying (because in general its either the zoom or the eraser whuile I only wanted to decrease my brush size).

I didnt had that problem in CC 2017 but now I have it in 2018.

Thanks,

Antoine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there any way to kill this feature? it is destroying me and many freinds that use PS to illustrate. its been a litteral hardship. changing a tool like that is why i fear updates and this is like, worst case scenario. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 26, 2022 Sep 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I am facing a similar issue again after years!

I understand the spring loaded feature but despite not holding a key down photoshop changes to previously selected tool automatically, be it with zoom and crop or burn and zoom. Sometimes I have to keep hitting a key repeatedly to select a tool because photoshop keeps "snapping" back to the previously selected tool. 

For instance: I am using the brush tool and I hit "Z" ( not hold ) it will select the magnifying glass but snap back to brush in a millisecond. This happens repeatedly. Takes 3-4 tries to get the tool selected AND its not like I might be pressing a key too slowly that photoshop confuses it to be a long press.

I cannot seeem to find any thread for this error. Hence requesting on this old thread for some help.

I hope I am not the only one facing this issue 😛 

Thanks,

Pranav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the Photoshop > Preferences > Tools > Spring-loaded Tool Shortcuts-setting? 

Have you tried unchecking it? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have. It still glitched, not frequently though.
However, I like that feature. Makes retouching easier. I would like to
continue using it but without the annoying glitch. Do you think I should
tweak timing sensitivity?

Thank you for your response 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have system assistive features like Sticky Keys turned on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2022 Sep 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checked. I don’t. Sticky keys is off. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's the point of the preference, adjust the timing so that it fits your finger/keyboard hitting speed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This has been driving me crazy for a while

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 03, 2023 May 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! I also though this was a bug and it was driving me nuts.. even tried a new pc thinking it was a memory problem, something that didn't happen with CC 2018. Adobe should be more clear about this crazy new features that can be easily be mistaken by a bug, as it changes the whole UX of how you use the tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2017 Dec 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Antoine, what is the shortcut that you are using? the function I describe is only done using the one letter tool shortcuts...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2020 Jun 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know it's a feature.  But it really messes up my workflow, I'm looking for a way to disable it.  For context, while painting, I very rapidly switch between tools, the brush and the eraser for example.  While rapidly switching back and forth, photoshop regularly confuses short and long presses and makes it so the tools jump back and forth unintentionally.  Painters need the option to disable this 'feature'.    

This is typical of Adobe, not considering digital painters and their workflows, while developing for the everyday user / photo editors.  I think Adobe would be remiss to lose the digital painting demographic... Just sayin.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature is awful and needs a preference option to be disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, you can add your request to be able to turn it on/off to the feature request here. http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preferences->Tools to turn it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines