Translating text layers

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi shoppers,

I'm trying to speed up my workflow in Photoshop by automating most tasks. I am looking into possibilities for translating my text layers (this could be based on a txt file containing every translation per row or hardcoded into a script). Right now, the translations are done by using actions. The company I work for is constantly expanding to other countries, therefore I have to update every translation action by hand each year. E.g.:

Image of a product with a product label, that includes the brand logo (EPS smart object), the color of the contents (for example black, cyan, magenta, photo black), type/model number and so on. All of the info on the labels are supposed to be translated to multiple languages (Polish, Swedish, Dutch, French and Spanish). Right now my workflow is as follows: I type in the word that should be translated, turn that into a smart object, open that smart object, apply my action which copies the text layer 6 times and then translates every text layer to other languages and finally I run a script that makes every layer in that smart object a layer comp. It's quite the hassle but gets the job done. Because we are about to open a new webshop in another country the actions are not up-to-date anymore.

Instead of translating each word by hand I am looking for a solution that's able to do this task. I have been looking into variables and data sets. This could be a solution as I, or my colleagues, would be able to select a translation CSV file, but I want to be able to make all data entries (translations) layer comps. I have tried opening my actions in a text editor to see wether I can update them that way, this was impossible however.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Translating text layers

New Here ,
Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi shoppers,

I'm trying to speed up my workflow in Photoshop by automating most tasks. I am looking into possibilities for translating my text layers (this could be based on a txt file containing every translation per row or hardcoded into a script). Right now, the translations are done by using actions. The company I work for is constantly expanding to other countries, therefore I have to update every translation action by hand each year. E.g.:

Image of a product with a product label, that includes the brand logo (EPS smart object), the color of the contents (for example black, cyan, magenta, photo black), type/model number and so on. All of the info on the labels are supposed to be translated to multiple languages (Polish, Swedish, Dutch, French and Spanish). Right now my workflow is as follows: I type in the word that should be translated, turn that into a smart object, open that smart object, apply my action which copies the text layer 6 times and then translates every text layer to other languages and finally I run a script that makes every layer in that smart object a layer comp. It's quite the hassle but gets the job done. Because we are about to open a new webshop in another country the actions are not up-to-date anymore.

Instead of translating each word by hand I am looking for a solution that's able to do this task. I have been looking into variables and data sets. This could be a solution as I, or my colleagues, would be able to select a translation CSV file, but I want to be able to make all data entries (translations) layer comps. I have tried opening my actions in a text editor to see wether I can update them that way, this was impossible however.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 23, 2020 0

Have something to add?