• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PNG export from Photoshop removes transparent background

Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same happens to me, and it drives me mad! Without any logical reason the transparent export draws a white rectangel around my transparent objects!

Please note the added white rectangle around the transparent objects! This issue just happened as I updated to Photoshop 22.0.1. I experience the same problem even with files I exported correctly with previous versions. This issue just happens when I export from artboards, when I don't use artboards everything is fine and it only happens when I set the artboard background to transparent, i.e. when I choose a color for background transparent objects just work fine.

This problem has frustrated me so much I installed the previous photoshop version to be able to deliver my work!!

PLEASE HELP!

test 1.jpgtest 2.jpg

test-3.jpg

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

I recently updated to Adobe Photoshop 23.2.2 and the problem has been solved. I no further experience the issue. I recommend to do so for others experiencing the same issue.

I'd like to add that I use the same machine and OS that I used since I initially experienced the issue.

farshadsadri_1-1651415978423.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which Windows application did you use to vuew the image? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Windows 10 and the app is the standard windows photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same application that has confused so many people by displaying images wrong because it lacks Color Management? 

It might be best to disregard it … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was driving me crazy, but I noticed on mine that the background was locked. I thought I had converted to CMYK color but it was locked in "Indexed" color. I re-converted it to CMYK, unlocked the background, and it exported normally with no issues. Note that the whole time it was showing the transparent background, but wasn't exporting as such. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the thread has continued, it made me question the files I was trying to File ->> Export ->> Save for Web (Legacy) in a CMYK color mode. I KNOW that in the past, I could use a CMYK and it would be converted to an RGB as a PNG because PNGs are RGB files - yes? As I had mentioned the issue was also happening in Illustrator. Note: I am on the latest versions of Photoshop and Illustrator.

I just went to these logo files and converted them to the color mode RGB, THEN Export ->> Save for Web (Legacy) as a PNG - and they Insert in Word with transparency!

No backgrounds were locked; no Index color involved, but again, I converted my file to an RGB and then exported as a PNG.

Heaven knows what changed along the way, but at least I can now move forward in my work. I hope this is helpful to you as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I discovered such a solution for myself, it works
1) File -> export -> Artboards ti file
2) Set the settings and run

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im also having same problem, transparent background is showing in photoshop, but when i export it with png and even the transparency is checked getting white background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Finally found the problem today. The reason your transparent layers are not exporting transparent is that it's under an artboard. All you need to do is go under your layers and right-click on the artboards group (it will be at the top of your list of layers) and select "Ungroup Artboards".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I didnt get it at all. Under my layers there is nothing like that. The artboard group is on top of my layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not using artboards so this isn't the solution. NEEXXXXT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2022 Apr 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's bugged color profile. Go to Edit > Assign Profile and pick any other profile, or even "don't color manage" option and click "Ok". After that, you can come back to your original profile

antonp12376912_0-1651146336727.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work. The file still comes out with a white background when exported as a PNG. Lol. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently updated to Adobe Photoshop 23.2.2 and the problem has been solved. I no further experience the issue. I recommend to do so for others experiencing the same issue.

I'd like to add that I use the same machine and OS that I used since I initially experienced the issue.

farshadsadri_1-1651415978423.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Photoshop 23.4.1 (began having this issue with the previous version of Photoshop)

2. Windows 10 machine

3. I create an image with a transparent background, and then export to PNG with transparency option selected.

4. I anticipate that the final PNG will have a transparent background, but instead it has a white background as if it was a JPG. The image itself does not have a background.

I have attached a screenshot and the document itself.Screenshot 2022-07-11 150510.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2022 Jul 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What method are you using to save the png out of photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried using the Quick Export and using the standard Export function, where I check to make sure transparency is checked. Neither works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to @antonp12376912. The recommendation to switch color profiles seemed to solve my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be a bit late for this, but i encountered the same problem, and here is the solution in 2 steps.

The solution: 1- Select Artboard Tool, 2- Change bg color to transparent

Despite all the other options in preferences might be configured right, if this one isnt, then it will always export the BG.

Hope it helps, Cheers 😉Captureadobe.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not find the Artboard tool, thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where haveyou actually looked? 

If it is not in its default position check Edit > Toolbar

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 07.58.58.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This saved me, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2023 Jan 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those experiencing this issue still in current versions, ungrouping the artboards did the trick for me and then it exported as normal. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2023 Jul 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked for me! I put all the layers inside a group and export this group to PNG (right click on the group > Quick export as PNG)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines