• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transparent background issue

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2019 Mar 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very new to Photoshop and sort of learning as I go. When importing this specific image the transparent background doesn't blend in and is visible on top of all the other layers. Here is a picture of the issue I am having Photoshop question.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does "fixed" mean here? Is the snake layer a .png?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is a .png file. I took the original picture and used the saturation tool to change the color from yellow to green and that’s just the title I out after I saved it. I don’t want the white part of the image showing I just want the picture of the snake itself to show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the problem is that the snake isn't on a transparent background but an opaque checkerboard pattern. Zooming in on the thumbnail of the snake in the Layers panel I believe also confirms this.

The snake image is inside a Smart Object. Double click on the thumbnail to edit that image. You should be able to make a quick selection and either delete or mask away the background. Then save and close the Smart Object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good catch, it is probably screenshot saved as PNG file and used for advertising purpose to showcase file or something. Screenshot is captured with snake on transparent background (checkerboard) what is visible when placing image in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bojan,

I think we've all been caught out getting prematurely excited when we see that checkerboard pattern in a Google image search

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The clue is in the properties panel.  The embedded smart object contains a jpeg, not a png.  Jpeg does not support transparency.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 03, 2019 Mar 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I expect the SFTW regulars download a lot of image elements for their composites, and I usually add 'transparent background' to make life easier.  But when you see the checkerboard on Google Images, that means it is not transparent, and the checkerboard is part of the image.  If the checkerboard appears when you click on the image, then that's OK.

Another thing with transparent PNG files  is that you can't grab them and paste into Photoshop.  So taking the snake top left which shows a white background, but the checkerboard when you click  on it

If you right click and copy, and then paste into Photoshop with Ctrl V, the background becomes black.

However  if you right click and save, and then open or Place in Photoshop, the transparency is still there.  I tend to keep all transparent downloads for future use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines