Highlighted

Trying to create perfect triangles with polygonal lasso tool but the selection is made up of pixels!

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

im trying to make a low poly design but every time I try to make a triangle the selection is made up of jagged lines, as if they're snapping to some grid. I've turned off all grids but it seems to be snapping to the transparent background squares. I'm still able to get the image colour but I can't make a low poly with pixelated looking triangles. Extremely annoying and I'm unable to find any solution. 

Hope someone is able to help me out. 
Thanks. 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Trying to create perfect triangles with polygonal lasso tool but the selection is made up of pixels!

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

im trying to make a low poly design but every time I try to make a triangle the selection is made up of jagged lines, as if they're snapping to some grid. I've turned off all grids but it seems to be snapping to the transparent background squares. I'm still able to get the image colour but I can't make a low poly with pixelated looking triangles. Extremely annoying and I'm unable to find any solution. 

Hope someone is able to help me out. 
Thanks. 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 09, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are aware that Photoshop is a pixel oriented application? 

Why do you use the Lasso Tool and not the Pen Tool? 

With that you can create Shape Layers which could be output as vector data in certain file formats (svg, pdf, …) but would naturally still be represented as pixels on screen. 

Please post meaningful screenshots taken ar View > 100%. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 2
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware of how the program is pixel based but I've previously been on Mac and just got onto Windows just yesterday. I've never noticed this problem on my Mac when doing the exact same thing. The selection made was just a straight line, regardless of how the line was angled. I've tried the pen tool but I'm so used to just pressing Commad F to repeatedly fill in a selection with an average blur especially when I can just do it easily over and over again.

Thanks for your reply. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 0
LEGEND ,
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2020 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is wrong with your poly lasso tool lines and selection marching ant lines.  My Windows 10 Photoshop 20.2.4 Poly Lasso tool seems fine. I do not find the square pixel staircase objectionable.  These loog good to me.

Capture.jpg

Of course on small images the marching ants select outlint staircase can be quite pronounces when zoomed way in.

Capture.jpg

even when I zoom in on my high resoluttion girl knose selection the starcease becones visible.

image.png

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the pen tool, then right click (if on a PC) / Stroke Path. Make sure"Brush" is selected. If it's "Pencil," you'll get jagged lines. Also make sure your brush tool is set to the size you want your stroke to be.

-edit- Or maybe you'd just do "Fill Path" for low poly. I've never done low poly, but I'm not sure how you'd get jagged lines unless you're stroking a path with the pencil instead of the pen, and I don't think you can even get jagged lines with "Fill Path."

-edit typo-

https://www.murrayslawannex.com/ https://www.behance.net/lesliemurray

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it a try ASAP 🙂

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 1
Most Valuable Participant ,
Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also work  on a large image you need pixels to work with 300dpi print resolution settings so you have the pixels to draw a good line

JJMack

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 09, 2020 1
jane-e LATEST
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"it seems to be snapping to the transparent background squares"

When you say "background squares", do you mean the pixels? Photoshop will snap to the pixels whether you are using the Lasso tool or the Pen tool, as each pixel can contain only one color.

If you mean something else by "background squares", please clarify.

~ Jane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2020 2