• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Two problems: Layers don't react & "Shift" no longer inverses Quick Selection Tool

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day! I'm rather a Photoshop noob so it's very possible that there's a shortcut solution for my problems. But I didn't find anything so I'd appreciate if someone could help me out.

For about two weeks now (maybe longer, I'm not sure) there suddenly are two problems that just showed up at one point - both at the same time though - and I don't know why.

1. Usually in a document with various layers, if I click on a part of the image, Photoshop used to automatically select the layer I clicked on.

Example: A document with three layers: 1. on the left a tree, 2. on the right a house, 3. above the sun. If I click on the house, the 2nd layer gets selected (and I can move it, edit it etc.). If I click on the sun, the 3rd layer gets selected and I can work on it.

This no longer works for me. Let's say I'm working on the 1st layer, the tree. If I now click on the sun, I stay in the tree-layer. I have to manually select the layer in the layer-list in the toolbar on the right.

The update to the newest version V21.2.2 didn't help. Problem's still there.

2. When working with the Quick Selection Tool, it was automatically set to (+), so when clicking and drawing the cursor over various parts of an image, it keeps selecting. When I accidentally selected something I didn't mean to select, I used to press "Shift" which made the Tool turn to (-), and I could unselect the wrongly selected parts.

This no longer works. I have to manually click the (-) icon to inverse the Selection Tool.

Curiously, when I start with the (-) setting and then pressing Shift, it still turns to (+). But that's of course very tedious, keeping Shift pressed the whole time I want to select something.

I'd appreciate any help. Photoshop ran smoothly til now but this bugs me terribly.

Thanks a lot.

Foedhrass

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would reset the photoshop preferences by going to Photoshop>Preferences>General (mac) or Edit>Preferences>General (windows), click on Reset Preferences On Quit and restart photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines