Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Two questions about line tool

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having two issues with the line tool (while in Shape mode):

1. Changing the stroke doesn't change the appearance of the line, however clicking the gear icon dropdown and editing the "line thickness" under Path options changes the thickness. Why is this the case?

2. After I finish drawing the line, the two selection points on the end are there but clicking away, or switching to another tool makes the line disappear. How do I make the line stay?

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 3.42.15 PM.png

Thanks for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cog wheel settings are changing the thickness of the path which indicates where the line is placed not the thickness of the line itself. You happen to have both set to red so that may cause the confusion.

As far as the shape is concerned make sure the stroke is aligned to centre or outside - If set to inside you will see nothing

davescm_0-1613258941351.png

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, setting Stroke to center align vs inside align fixes the line width issue for me. However I'm manually having to edit this setting every time I return to this tool, is there a way to make it default?

The line is still disappearing for me after I draw it. If I draw another line, switch to a different tool, or hit Enter, the line I just drew disappears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post meaningful screenshots including all pertinent Panels. 

Set the Stroke settings to meaningful values before creating any Shape Layer, then they should stick. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding "Set the Stroke settings to meaningful values before creating any Shape Layer, then they should stick", I don't see the "set align type for stroke" dropdown menu in the Properties panel until I draw a shape. Can you clarify what exactly I need to click? See screenshot:

Properties.png

If I want to draw a line with a 30px stroke, I have to edit that setting to "Align to Center" manually every time.

After Drawing.png

If I click away to use the Move tool, then go back to Line tool, the stroke aligns to inside again so I have to change that setting every time I draw a line.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2021-02-15 at 16.06.44.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set the settings before you create the Shape Layers. 

lineToolSettingsStickTest.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did, but when I switch to another tool the settings revert to what they were before. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The gif I posted clearly shows that this is not the case for me, so please prove your claim. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I take a screen recording?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QuickTime Player

Screenshot 2021-02-15 at 16.44.46.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you change the settings is a Shape Layer selected? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see video below. I use the Line tool to draw a few lines, manually change stroke alignment to Center so that I can see the 30px stroke I've set, then move a few things with the Move tool, and when I go back to the Line tool my settings aren't there and I have to set the stroke aligment to Center again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set the Line Tool’s settings BEFORE creating ANY Shape Layer. 

But I had already mentoined that before so … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you been able to resolve the issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines