• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type tool won't initialize

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2017 Oct 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have both CS3 and CS6 and the latest CC. Suddenly, the type tool won't work on any of them. Either it says that for some reason the type tool won't initialize (CS3 and CS6), or with CC it says that the font I selected won't work....but none of the fonts work. I tried rebooting the [ Windows 10 ] machine, deleting the preferences (though I had little hope of that working) and tried different documents, makes no difference. Both of the programs were recently updated. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brendan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a corrupt font to me... did you recently install new fonts? Do you use font management software?

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALL the fonts corrupted? I tried several different ones, ones that come with Windows like Arial, etc. They work in Word and Outlook OK. I do not use font management software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it only takes one bad font... it's just a guess. Years ago it was a problem... I had a process where I would remove 1/2 the fonts from my system, then the other other 1/2, then 1/2 of the bad 1/2 etc. to find the culprit. I haven't had to do it in years, but that doesn't mean the bad fonts aren't still out there. It would most likely be a true type font that you downloaded form the internet and installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really feel like I've gone down the rabbit hole over this. I have discovered that one cannot delete all fonts, some are "protected system fonts". I can't find a utility to find bad fonts. Someone suggested sfc / scannow might help...but it found no issues. I see that fonts that I deleted long ago still appear in programs like Word, and Photoshop. They don't work, of course, but they still appear in the list, and I don't know where to look to delete the lists that must be somewhere.
I never heard back from "Team Adobe" after the initial exchange from yesterday. There is no chat or phone support that I can find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry I can't help more. If you type adobe support into google it will give you a phone number. And try here: Contact us | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Do you have a Font Manager (Like Font Fusion Suitcase)? I've noticed that at times when Windows updates it will cause my font manager (Font Fusion) to loose activation of any additional fonts I had activated. Whenever I would try to use the type tool in Photoshop I would get that same error you mentioned.

Try re-pairing your Font Manager installations, or re-installing your Font Manager. If it's Font Fusion, this has been an ongoing issue with them with regards to this error. It's documented on their website for more info.

https://help.extensis.com/hc/en-us/articles/115010357448-After-updating-Windows-10-font-activation-n...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines