• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to create a new file in Photoshop 2020 (21.0.2)

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2019 Dec 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unable to create a new file in Photoshop 2020 (21.0.2 latest update at 12 dec 2019).

When I start Photoshop I get NO home/welcome screen but just a black screen with the file/edit menu.

When I try to open a file from File>Create new nothting happens.

It seems on closer inspection that when I click create new file, the file menu grey's out for a short moment and then returns to it's normal state.

What I tried:

- Clear preferences as suggested in another topic (Alt+Shift+Ctrl), nothing happens when I start Photoshop.

- Clear plugins. I do not use plugins but I cleared the folder in which they normally reside just to be sure.

- Clear preferences manually. Started Photoshop again but no improvement, issue is still as stated at the beginning of this post.
- Reinstalled Photoshop. uninstalled, rebooted computer and reinstalled. Same result.
Install has been done on a new computer, 3700X, 32GB ram, GTX1080, and with a fresh windows 10 installation.

Note that I also know how running photoshop as administrator could be the issue here but even after playing around with that there is no improvement whatsoever. The issue remains the same.

I'm at a loss what I have missed here but my gut feeling is Adobe dit an oopsie and broke Photoshop.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Hi

As a temp workaround try selecting these options in preferences and restarting PS, you won't get the Home Screen but it might enable you to work with Photoshop, I never use the Home Screen, but just tested in Windows 10 with Photoshop 20.0.2 and it's working fine for me

Deselect "Auto show the Home Screen" and enable "Use Legacy "New Document" Interface"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

As a temp workaround try selecting these options in preferences and restarting PS, you won't get the Home Screen but it might enable you to work with Photoshop, I never use the Home Screen, but just tested in Windows 10 with Photoshop 20.0.2 and it's working fine for me

Deselect "Auto show the Home Screen" and enable "Use Legacy "New Document" Interface"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ged, you're the savior of my day!

Deselect "Auto show the Home Screen" and enable "Use Legacy "New Document" Interface" did do the job and know I'm able to create a new file and get the normal GUI.

Still the normal screen when you first start Photoshop does not show but at least I'm able to get going again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2020 Jan 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thing, NOT ANSWERING THE QUESTION!
I am also using 21.x.x NOT OLD 20.x.x.

Just what the heck happened? Did Adobe even have DevOps team? how can they release this "Updates"?
Charge for premium but customer get dung, loads of it!? You guys using customer as your DevOps I can see.

This problem from when? guess what? 2013!

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/can-t-create-open-new-file-photoshop-cc/m-p/10882419#M30094...

To be fair can someone answer why this post get SOLVED when the answer for v20.x.x NOT FOR 21.x.x?
Moderator? any non-ignorant Moderator and Devs? HELLO?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ultimate, hello, the original poster is uising Ps 21, which is also Photoshop 2020. his problem was solved. this issue is often due to GPU driver issues. 

See answer 7: https://helpx.adobe.com/be_en/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#GPUandgraphicsdrivert...

I can understand being frustrated, but insulting other users who come here to help is not the most constructive way to get help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont recall insulting anybody, I thanked the user for helping us out. I
am more than grateful that the issues got resolved... False accusations
can cause a lot of ruckus in the long run...
Why did I get an e-mail for this??
--
~ Johnny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2020 May 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're in the wrong place Johnny boy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2020 May 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much bro you saved me from this embarrassment!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much, it works for me and now I can create a new project. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ged! This worked for me as well. I use CC 2019 due to newer versions always crashing / freezing on my computer and the 2019 version recently started to have this File > New.. not function. Your work around helped out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Literally just had this problem today, but Use Legavy doesn't have all the old presets. weirder is I'm using v21 which never had the use legacy set before but for some reason today did. Problem with Adobe is the amount of changes in each version that make or break everything else. the latest version has issues with my aging GPU on occasion and I can't afford a new one.

The older version now wants to act like the newer version and the one in between I just didn't like the warp tool. Do the people who do updates for Windows also work for Adobe 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good answer. I have similar probs. With your setting, Woilaaaaa... Everything works fine again...

Thanks a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. I get a black screen with tools etc but can't open a new file can you help me  am using a mac. Catalina and latest version of Photoshop from CS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We're really sorry for all the trouble. Check out the following troubleshooting article and try the offered suggestions: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-home-screen-issues.html

Let us know if that helps to resolve your issue.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2020 Apr 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked to me. Thanks.

Changing the folders name to " ~UXP " worked for me thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it working now... I disabled that new feature. How do I add a. WebP
fules extension plug-in? 🤔

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there... I try everything including changing the folder name to ~UXP. But every time I open Photoshop it keeps making a new folder "UXP". This happens now in 17 May 2020. I want back my previous layout whenever I open Photoshop. I try to uninstall and reinstall.. but still the same. Blank black layout without a home, and can't create a new file. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will this ever be fixed? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unable to create a new file in Photoshop 2022
Hi ! I just encounter this problem also just yesterday ,This may sound absurd but have you checked the file size while you're creating the new file? the reason for mine not working is instead of 10
00 "PIXELS" , It was in "INCHES" so I guess that explains it... BTW  I tried doing Deselect "Auto show the Home Screen" and enable "Use Legacy "New Document" Interface", Yes it also Worked ! , but I really like the home screen feature since I could see my recent works and I also use cloud documents,.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2022 Jul 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do you enable use legacy?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, you go to Edit (PC) or Photoshop (Mac) / Preferences / General and check "Use Legacy New Document Interface" then restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2020 Feb 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done this in order to avoid the problem/bug.

But why included the 'new' layout when it cant even be use in production?
making users mad and asking so much about this old bug and no fixes?

You can prove this point by searching articles in this forum, not to include TomHardware forum and others.

So Why? Why no Fixes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also not helping at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines