Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to extend duration of video layers in Photoshop

Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2018 Sep 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am currently working on an animation in photoshop and I am using video layers. Normally when I would do this, if I ran out of room I could simply extend the video layer and it would create more frames for me to work with. Now when I try to do that, the video layer will only shrink, but not extend. It won't even extend when the timeline is extended, I don't understand why the maximum duration is "set" and I cannot change it. This never used to happen to me. Is there some setting I can click to change this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 02, 2018 Sep 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have got past this?  It's been 15 hours since you posted, and no reply.

You can drag a video track forward, which will extend the timeline.

You can add another video group.  Put a layer in it and drag to extend it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 03, 2018 Sep 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I haven't figured it out.

Like I said, when I try to drag and extend the video layer it will not do so. Even when the timeline is extended past the video layer. This used to not be the case and I do not understand why it suddenly isn't working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi the only workaround I've found is to select your video layer, go to Layers > video layers > insert new frame. You can then drag the video layer forward frame by frame. (Make sure your background layer is long enough to accommodate whatever new frames you want to add.)

This is made somewhat easier if you assign a keyboard shortcut to "insert new frame" - you can then just hit the shortcut, drag the frame, etc, and it doesn't take too long.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2019 Jan 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the layer you want to extend a smart object? If so, you can extend it within the smart object panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Im facing the same problem and unable to find a solution... did you figure it out ? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was facing the same issue but I figured it out just seconds ago. Im sure you too have, coz this question is ayear old.. but replying so it helps someone later on...

If you change the speed of the video layer you can then extend it.

(To change the speed of a clip, right-click on the appropriate layer. Select "Speed" to increase or decrease playback speed using the slider or a percentage value.)

I hope this helps.Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I'm not sure, if that's an issue in your case but I actually came up with a solution just a moment after searching this post up to I decided to share it with you. I noticed that when you extend your blank layer (paper layer, beginning layer whatever) first, and after that add new video layer, your new video layer is the same size as your paper layer, so if you want to make an 15 minutes animation you have to extend your paper layer first to 15 minutes and only after that add new video layer.

Maybe that's something very simple but It was actually an issue in my case. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! This worked for me! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For everyone else who's have also faced this situation, if you had already deleted that first new file background layer, if you create a new regular layer, delete that video layer that isn't working as expected, and create a new one, it will also work... hopefully it will work .

Also thanks for the solution, it worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Video editting is quite limited to basic operations. a videolayer (small video icon bottom right) cant be extended it seems. I can only be trimmed (shortened) why this is baffles me. You can make a new one and this will get the length of the total video. Its kinda ridiculous working with this system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2021 Apr 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so sorry for necro-posting, but I gotta share this for others who find this cause I got stuck for the longest time. If you create a video layer, go to the layers section up top, go to rasterize and rasterize all, you can extend it. Again, sorry for the unnecessary bump but trust me this'll save so much time for others who were in my position in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much I almost had an anyrism trying to figure out what was wrong 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2021 Jun 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Omg if this works I am going to scream...I can't wait to get home to try it. Been working on this for HOURS today then got so annoyed I had to leave the house lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines