• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to rearrange or duplicate layers by dragging, Photoshop 2021, Win10 - April '21

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My hand was in the wrong position when I was trying to type something, and I broke my layers panel and move tool. 

• This is not an "Auto-Select" issue. I have never had a problem with AS, but per some other threads, I tried turning it off just in case, but nothing changed.
  • I cannot grab layers in the layer panel. When I do, the "grabbing fist" blinks, but returns to the "open hand". I can't rearrange the layers, drag to the "new layer" icon and duplicate my layers, nor can I even move my layer masks.
  • Additionally, my move tool does nothing. I have to use the transform tool to move things. 

I have seen other threads, but the fixes seem to be go to a previous version (I've downgraded three times to no avail), and any random mix of resetting Photoshop and restarting my machine multiple times. 

I'm confident this was a user error, and not a bug, but ... I'm trying everything I can.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»I have to use the transform tool to move things.«

Transform Tool? In Photoshop? 

Do you mean the »Show Transform Controls«-setting in the Options Bar for the Move Tool? 

How did you reset the Preferences – keyboard shortcut or General Preferences? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know that this post is ancient, but for anybody in the future having this exact same issue;
Inability to drag layers, can't use move tool, even after PS reinstalls and settings resets;

Simply restart explorer.exe. I know, its dumb. I spent an hour triyng to fix this issue. 
Cheers ❤️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines