• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to save file as PSD - PS says the file is over 2GB when it's not

Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2014 Jan 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PSD that I've been working on for many months. This week I got a new computer. When I open this file on my new computer, I am unable to save it as a PSD. The file size, according to Windows Explorer, is 600MB. According to PS CC's Document Size displayed at the bottom of the Document Window, the document size is 288.4M / 1.77G. Yet when I try to save this file on my new computer, I get this error:

Could not save as "filename.psd" because the document is bigger than 2 gigabytes.
See help topic "Saving Files" for more information.

I don't understand how I've been working on this document for the last several months and never had a problem with saving it, yet now on my new computer, it is unable to save. My new computer has a secondary SSD harddrive that I am using as the primary scratch disk. The new computer also has more RAM and a better processor. I had copied all of my preferences files from the old computer to the new, and I don't see any settings that are different between the two computers. Can anyone please provide some direction?

(Note: I've been running PS CC x32 because the x64 version isn't stable on my computer.)

File size as displayed in Windows Explorer: 600,941KB.

NEW: Document size as displayed in Document Window: 288.4M / 1.77G
OLD: Document size as displayed in Document Window: 288.4M / 1.77G

NEW: Adobe Photoshop Version: 14.2 (14.2 20131211.r.515 2013/12/11:23:00:00) x32
OLD: Adobe Photoshop Version: 14.1.2 (14.1.2 20130923.r.427 2013/09/23:23:00:00) x32

NEW: Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
OLD: Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

NEW: Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1
OLD: Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

NEW: Physical processor count: 4
OLD: Physical processor count: 8

NEW: Logical processor count: 8

NEW: Processor speed: 3591 MHz
OLD: Processor speed: 2394 MHz

NEW: Built-in memory: 32694 MB
OLD: Built-in memory: 30718 MB

NEW: Free memory: 25810 MB
OLD: Free memory: 25633 MB

NEW: Memory available to Photoshop: 3255 MB
OLD: Memory available to Photoshop: 3255 MB

NEW: Memory used by Photoshop: 60 %
OLD: Memory used by Photoshop: 69 %

NEW: Image tile size: 128K
OLD: Image tile size: 128K

NEW: Image cache levels: 6
OLD: Image cache levels: 6

NEW: Scratch volume(s):
  C:\, 930.2G, 686.5G free
  B:\, 111.8G, 103.6G free
OLD: Scratch volume(s):
  C:\, 930.7G, 567.1G free

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 24, 2014 Jan 24, 2014

Hi,

To follow up for any future readers that find this post, there indeed was a bug fix in 14.2 that impacted Mindy's file.

In 14.1.2 and previous versions of Photoshop, it was possible to save a document in the PSD format which would incorrectly push it beyond the formats 2 GB limit (pasted vector data with Max compatibility On). We had a report from someone who inadvertantly was generating 300+ GB files (http://forums.adobe.com/message/5666971#5666971). With 14.2, we now do a couple more checks

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2016 Aug 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. I've read this thread, but unfortunately, I don't understand what most of it means. I'm  a digital scrapbooker who's been using various versions of pse for years and years, but I don't pay attention to smart objects and pixel count. I just stack the pretty pictures on top of each other and save. Unfortunately, PSE 14 gives me this error on both my desktop and laptop computers, and I don't understand the directions here well enough to fix the problem. I'm also afraid that where I use hundreds of different elements from dozens of different scrapbooking kits, I'm going to run into this problem dozens and dozens of times. Is there any hope for a dilettante like me to still be able to use the program or am I out of luck and out the cost of the program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 11, 2016 Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you provide a file that generates the dialog? Send me a direct message and I can take a look.

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2016 Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is going to demonstrate the extent of my stupidity when it comes to PSE: I'm not sure how to provide a file that I can't save. I know there must be a way, or you wouldn't be asking me to, and if you can tell me how to do it, I'll be happy to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2015 Nov 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! The massively scaled smart-object image I had was what was triggering the 2gb error as well, even though document was below 2gb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2015 Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this isn't a new issue but I've only experienced this once or twice... 

This time I can't get it to save after checking all values for the 30k pixel limit, and rasterizing all smart objects and shapes...  If I understand correctly there's a 30k pixel limit (x or y) and also a 2GB ceiling on file size? 

What if I need a file size that's between 2-3GB? 

Not that it matters much but this is a 1/3 scale vehicle wrap that I'm hoping I don't have to rescale 50+ layers...

Thanks,

Shawn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 01, 2015 Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you save as the large document format PSB (which can go to several Exabytes in size).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running into this issue with Photoshop CC 14.2.2 but there are no smart objects or layers involved. It's a flat file.

I can save the PSD just fine. It is 1.19 GB.

I have tried saving as PDF, PSB, EPS - All of those, it always comes back with the files size being over 2GB. Yes, the PSB refuses to save larger than 2GB.

I'm ripping my hair out over this. I specifically signed up for Adobe Creative Cloud to get the new Photoshop CC because it was supposed not have this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 18, 2015 Apr 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saving to a disk which is formatted in a way that limits files to 2 GB (ie: FAT, like on some USB flash drives)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I am saving to a network drive (a real 5TB hard drive, not USB or anything.) , but I never thought that it might be the formatting on the disk. I will check, but I don't think it is. We produce lots of video and multimedia files that are well over 2GB which are stored on that drive, but maybe saving a file from a program would be different than just transferring the data from disk to disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only time we've seen that message come up when saving PSB, was when the disk it was saving to couldn't handle files over 2GB (somewhere, we've got the wrong error message in use).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2016 Jan 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I have tried to save a file, no matter the format, and get the memory error...this has worked for me (if it's an imported file):

Go to the original file, right click and choose Properties.  Under the General tab click on the box that says "Unblock". 

Once I've done this, my file saves no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2016 Sep 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem is that Adobe doesn't accurately tell me file size in Photoshop. Seems nuts that this file is, at least according to Bridge, 2.82gb when if I don't use Smart Objects it would be about 1.25gb.

The problem with using PSB's is that Lightroom can't deal with them. I have to make flattened copies so I can view, upload, print etc from Lightroom. Really disappointing.Can

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sad to say I just had this problem in Photoshop CC 2017 the first time I have tried to create a panorama on the Windows i7 32GB laptop instead of the MacBook Pro i7 I always use. I just used the large file format save as mentioned above but it makes no sense to get a 2GB file from 26 iPhone photos that the MacOS version did not have a problem with and there was nothing near 2GB created. I am posting just to let people know the problem still happens in the latest greatest version of CC.

Imran

http://imran.tv

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What is the overall dimension of the resulting file? What steps did you take for creating the panorama?

The latest version hasn't changed the format limit for PSD files; so if something in the document makes the file size over 2 GB (or a single side is larger than 30,000 pixels) you need to save it as PSB.

thx,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2016 Nov 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is probably what it is in my case with panoramas. In all these years they have not fixed their clunky wrong error message as the resulting file is not even 1GB much less 2GB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a similar issue - the original file I'm working with was "Doc:74.9M/2.07G" - I flattened it down some to under 1GB, but I get that same saving error. The dimensions are 8682 x 3014 at 300dpi. I'm working with CC 2015.5 on a Mac running 10.11.16 . I am able to save the file as a TIFF, but really need a PSD. There are no Smart Objects involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is already Feb 2017, and i have the same problem
First i encountered with "Adobe spaces helper" bug, but i got through.. now this

I made changes from my previous psd file which is only 17mb, i removed some layers, deleting all smart objects and only using vector layers and standard font for elements. My document size is 1280x1300px, 72 dpi.

Normally it should be smaller than original file size, but i've got is an error message "Could not save as "filename.psd" because the document is bigger than 2 gigabytes." i tried to deletes some big layers (1280x800 px the biggest layer size) but the problem still exist.

And i failed to delivered my work because of this.
i7, 500GB ssd, 16GB laptop still not enough? com'on Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2017 Jun 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I got that error for the first time, using Photoshop for over 15 years as as a graphic artist Illustrator Photographer.

I'm doing a restoration for a certificate from the 1800's and had to do it in 6 scans. Dropping the tif scans in made the sections Smart Objects. Once I got the error I rasterized the layers and the file could reduce enough to save. I was afraid I would need to break up and add each section in separate documents. I also do large format printing, so when I got this error I was at first confused. Now I know the limits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines