• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to save over jpg or tiff without making a "copy"

Explorer ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this! Starting a new thread as the other posts about this are marked SOLVED. This is not solved this is an ongoing bug. 

User has photohop file open with many layers, etc

File > Save as > jpg or tif—the first one works. Will save a flattened jpg or tif of the photoshop file you have open.
Anytime after that first one: Save as > click the jpg or tif you want to save over > Pop up comes up, "Do you want to replace?" YES
Program acts like it replaces the jpg or tif but when you go back to look (or to relink in InDesgn) it saves a copy of the file—same file name but with a space and the word "copy". 

If you continue to "Save over" it will only save over the version that has Copy on it. 

Photoshop, nor any other Adobe program has ever done this! This is a huge burden. 

PLEASE FIX THIS BUG!! This happened in Catalina and is still happening in Big Sur. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

It is a problem created by Apple in their operating system. It started with Catalina.

Adobe cannot fix that or work outside the operating system. Only Apple could change that and they would not.

Since 22.4, if your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy command. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System that Adobe cannot work around, although the changes are applied to both

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

@mohammad-1957  You were never able to save your PSD file as jpeg without losing information such as layers, 16 bit/channel/ additional channels , hidden pixels...  The newer function just makes that explicit.

However, you can now update to 22.4.2 and you will see the option in preferences to revert Save As to the way it worked before.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a problem created by Apple in their operating system. It started with Catalina.

Adobe cannot fix that or work outside the operating system. Only Apple could change that and they would not.

Since 22.4, if your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy command. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System that Adobe cannot work around, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep them aligned.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate the explanation! Just updated. The Save a Copy piece is a bizzare work-around but I willl take it. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, guess Adobe is no Apple!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Dave. This has been driving me crazy after finally upgrading from Apple OS Catalina to Monterey!

It's frustrating but I have been using the Save A Copy As, which obviously adds several steps, and which is truly a pain in the a** and time-consuming but your explanation lets me know it's not an Apple brainfart but a compatibility issue.

As most pro photographers use Apple products, one would think that Apple might consider a very large group of loyal consumers before creating what amounts to a downgrade in our workflow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dave, additional thanks as I continued to read the comments after posting me earlier comment (above).

I found your recommendation to check the Save As box in Preferences and now my workflow is back to where it was previously. (Which is great, since I have had several Actions set up for a variety of web and print needs and now they are all functional once again!) THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That has been change in 22.4 Saves As will no  longer save  a flat  jpeg from a layered document.  You must be on a Mac and an older version of Photoshop.  Windows has no problem over written the was some issue on mac wrote a new File with copy appended to the file name.  Now Adobe is forcing copy to all....

You could  Programs a script that basically works like Photoshop 'Savs As" worked in the past. The script would have a different UI than  good old "Save AS"a Photoshop which used a system dialog.  The script would have a ScripUI interface quite like Adobe Script "Export Layers to Files. Save the Document in the image file format you want to save. In fact I use  code from Adobe  'Export Layer to Files' creating the script for my personal use.

Change the title in the dialog  to Save As and process the document. It will be a Plug-in Script.

JJMack_0-1621359511028.png

Still on a Mac I do not know for sure the Scripted Save As will over write files on a Mac.  Mac has a unix type file system.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated! Working! Although I will say the new "Save a copy" is a bizare additonal step... seeing Daves note above nice to have a real explanation! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't have to be an additional step:

Save As           Shift +Ctrl+S  on a PC  or     Shift+Cmd+S on Mac

Save a Copy    Ctrl+Alt+S  on a PC      or     Cmd+Opt+S on a Mac

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After doing the latest update on Photoshop CC, I am now having similar, if not the same issue as lizuare regarding the simple task of creating a jpeg file from a single raw file in photoshop. Instead, of getting the standard JPEG option I am getting only Photoshop (PSD), Large Document Format, Cineon, IFF Format, JPEG 2000, PNG, Portable Bit Map and TIFF file options. For me to save the rendered image to a JPEG, I must refer to the "Save a Copy", which leaves the file name with -copy.jpeg attached to the end of it. I have been using Mac's since 2006, and Adobe photoshop even longer than that, so what davescm says is total BS! 

Abobe, FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@walts5189928 Thank you for you complementary remark - please keep this forum civil.

You are missing the jpeg option because the document you have opened from Raw cannot be saved directly in jpeg. Chances are you have opened it from Raw in 16 bits/channel which is supported in the formats you listed above but not in jpeg.

Are you ready to apologise?  🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O.K. Let me lay this out. I have for the past two years been working from a 27-inch

3.6 GHz Intel Core i9 iMac with 128 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 memory for rendering raw files form my Nikon D850 which are 89 MB (6880 x 4584) in size into 6880 x 4584 8-bit size jpegs. Before the latest update (5/17/21) I was able save the image being rendered into a JPEG file by selecting that option in the drop down. Yes, I am aware that JPEG file rendered is downsized from 16 bit to a 8 bit in the process (automatically). Seeing that option removed and replaced with Save a Copy to get the same results but with -copy.jpg attached to the file name is doing nothing by creating an unwanted addition step, which to me is stupid. 

(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was changed because the Save As jpeg function had already been broken for over a year on the Mac side, since Catalina. The damage was already done, by Apple, not Adobe. Saving over a jpeg resulted in a separate file with "-copy" appended. It has been like this for over a year. Apple did not want to change this, and there was no way for Adobe to work around it. The Save As jpeg function was terminally broken and finished, and had to be totally rewritten.

To be clear, saving a layered/16 bit file as jpeg saved out a copy the whole time. That is important to understand! The jpeg format does not allow 16 bit or layers. That fact was just hidden by Photoshop, but with Catalina it was no longer possible to hide.

Are we clear on that? The "-copy" inevitably happens anyway, irrespective of the change in Photoshop.

Everybody should keep in mind that the direct save to jpeg, from 16 bit/layered files, was introduced in Photoshop CS5 in 2010. Prior to that, it was not possible at all to save directly to jpeg. First you had to remove every property in the file that wasn't supported in the jpeg specification. Only then could you save it. So this is nothing new - but this time you can use Save A Copy.

Platform parity has always been a sacred principle in Photoshop, so it had to be changed in the Windows version as well, even though it never was a problem on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That maybe true with Catalina, but I am not using Catalina due the known issues its had with Adobe and other software. I am still operating with Mojave, which the Save As jpeg function was still working till the latest update from yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, good for you, but Photoshop has to work consistently in current operating systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not true that the possibility to save as jpg was broken longer ago. Some weeks ago I was able to save my psd files as jpg. Since the latest PS-Update the possibilty is gone.

It costs me a hell of a time always to make two steps more and rename the files. Not a god idea at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mohammad-1957  You were never able to save your PSD file as jpeg without losing information such as layers, 16 bit/channel/ additional channels , hidden pixels...  The newer function just makes that explicit.

However, you can now update to 22.4.2 and you will see the option in preferences to revert Save As to the way it worked before.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not say that I saved them with the layers. Usually I make a layer-version and save a jpg from that for webpresentation or print. Now I always have the word "Copy" behind the name. My customers find that irritating. But I will update to see if it works better now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the update brings no solution but I installed the Photoshop version 2020 and this still does exactly what I want. So it is not an Apple problem. When 2020 still can save as JPG why not 2021?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you go to Preferences and choose the options to set the previous behaviour and remove 'Copy' ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much - you made  my day!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I have for the past two years been working from a 27-inch 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9 iMac"

Then you will also be familiar with the copy problems since Catalina.

If you don't want "copy" added you could Export the file as a jpeg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And another bogus "work around".  Look, those who chose a career in graphic design don't want to suddenly change something they've been doing for 20 years.  Especially, ESPECIALLY, if there is no problem on the operation system they are using (PC).  This is a MAC issue, let it stay that way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS SUCKS!!!  And for a reason Adobe has not considered!  When I save my files, I navigate to the folder I want to save.  Since I've been saving files for 20 years the same way until now... I am constantly having to click the "save a copy" in the save as dialog box.  This takes me out of the folder I am trying to save my file and into the last folder I saved a file.  Since I'm using photoshop at work and I process about a hundred files in a day, this has slowed my workflow incredibly.  Why change something that was never broken?!

...and if anyone thinks that a simple change of hot keys is going to solve this problem, well, you haven't been doing this as long as I have!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines