Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Undo in PS 2021

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings -

I just purchased a Mac Mini with the M-1 chip, which forced me to switch from Photoshop CS6 (no longer compatible) to PS 2021.  In so doing, I discovered that the undo command only takes me back one step, whereas with CS6, I could undo as many steps as necessary.  Now, if I understand correctly, one has to go to the history panel to go back more than one step.  

My question to the community: Does the undo command in Photoshop 2021 only go back one step, or is can the undo command be altered to step back as previous versions of Photoshop permitted?

If this is true, count me as dissappoionted.  Undo was such an essential plank in the whole non-destructive editing concept, and while one can still go backward using the history panel, it is time consuming and highly inefficient.  Clearly, the software engineers that made that tweak are not graphic designers, and have little sense about how designers structure their workflow.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you set in

Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts > Use Legacy Undo Shortcuts

Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 10.36.18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks so much for your assistance! It worked and my problem is solved!

Cheers, visual explorer (David)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@visualexplorer wrote:

My question to the community: Does the undo command in Photoshop 2021 only go back one step, or is can the undo command be altered to step back as previous versions of Photoshop permitted?

Hi

In CS6, Cmd+Z was a toggle to Undo/Redo. Cmd+Opt+Z would step back in history to as many history states as you set in preferences. Now we have multiple undos with Cmd+Z, although you can use the legacy shortcuts if you prefer. It only took me a couple of days to get used to the new ones.

Read this help file and spend five minutes learning the new shortcuts. Keep the History panel open as you learn so you can see what is going on.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/undo-history.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane-

Thanks so much for your assistance! You’re advice was spot-on!

Cheers, Visual Explorer (David)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines