Highlighted

Units set to Inches, but Properties panel shows pixels

Engaged ,
Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Photoshop CC 2017)

Hello, how can I get my Properties panel to display in inches, rather than pixels? I have set my rulers to inches under the Units & Rulers Preferences, but when I draw a rectangle (Rectangle Tool), and I want to numerically modify its size in the Properties panel, the panel fields display pixels. How can I change this to decimal inches? Thanks-

Deselect everything on the layer panel, your "Properties" panel should have a document units drop-down menu. Change to your desired units.  Done.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Units set to Inches, but Properties panel shows pixels

Engaged ,
Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Photoshop CC 2017)

Hello, how can I get my Properties panel to display in inches, rather than pixels? I have set my rulers to inches under the Units & Rulers Preferences, but when I draw a rectangle (Rectangle Tool), and I want to numerically modify its size in the Properties panel, the panel fields display pixels. How can I change this to decimal inches? Thanks-

Deselect everything on the layer panel, your "Properties" panel should have a document units drop-down menu. Change to your desired units.  Done.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Dec 29, 2016 2
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can enter it yourself. (e.g., "7 in")    The unit of measurement should stick, too, until you decide otherwise.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2016 1
Engaged ,
Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok that's cool, I see how that can work, thanks, I didn't know I could do that. But now, if I deselect that rectangle, then re-select it, the Properties panel only tells me the value in pixels. Is there a way to set it to display in decimal inches always?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2016 0
Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. It should stick with that particular layer (at least it does with mine). Even when I close the document and re-open it, the unit of measurement sticks with what I had before.

ON EDIT: I'm using Photoshop CC 2017 as well but on a Windows 10 x64 system.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2016 0
Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As shown below, Right-click (or Control-click on Mac) on the measurement field and you can change the measurement type.

Photoshop CCScreenSnapz001.png

Correction: While this works, sadly it doesn't stay when you leave and come back.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2016 4
Engaged ,
Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan, I'm getting it to stick. Even when I close out of the doc, then re-launch it. If I click on a rectangle (made with Rectangle Tool) created in a previous session, the Properties panel remembers I set that rectangle for inches. Thanks for the suggestion.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2016 2
Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, that's weird. When I set it to inches myself, it sticks. When I set it per Dan's tip and go to, say, choose another layer and come back, it resets to pixels. The same applies if I go to save, close, then re-open.  : /

Bug, maybe?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 29, 2016 0
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 08, 2018 2
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 01, 2018 0
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came here with the same issue, and not only solved it... this sped up a daily process of mine.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 10, 2018 0
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YAAAS! This worked. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2018 0
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My properties panel doesn't have any of those options. All it shows is Document Properties, width, height, and position with none of the options yours seems to have.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 10, 2019 0
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, my properties tab looks like this below. Im trying to make my shapes, rectangle in particular display in inches and its only showing in CM. Please help!

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 11.13.34 AM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 06, 2019 0
New Here ,
Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

had same issue as keeley and then solved by accident.... create a shape with rectangle tool and once you deselect it, the "Document" option shows up in Properties Panel and then you can select the Units in dropdown. worked for me!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 10, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addition note to Nicole0D44 -  I had to rasterize the rectangle shape before I could see the change from pixels to inches.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 20, 2020 0