• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unlinking Linked Smart objects

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2016 Dec 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several photoshop files created from one original, and each has several Smart Objects (I'm creating label variations with different die lines). I understand the concept of New Smart Object Via Copy, which works great on an individual basis. My problem is that I generated these multiple files (with dozens of SOs) by Saving As, and a good portion of the SOs are now 'linked', and they no longer display the SO icon, but a link icon. I need a way to unlink them, which I don't think is possible. Making things worse, the 'new via copy' option is no longer available in the right click menu. Even worse still, what is available is "convert to smart object" for some reason, and when I do that, I get a new PS file that contains the SO with the link icon. It, when edited in AI, is still linked to all the others, and changes them all.

What a mess. Why can't I unlink a linked file?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two way to Place image into a document Place Linked... or Placed Embedded...   If in your design you are planning on creating new smart Object layers  using  leayer>Smart Objects>New smart Object via copy it means you want independant smart object layers.  To really have independant smart object layers the object must be embedded objects not Place linked files.   If they are placed linked files  it like having a shared object, Like when you dupe a smart object layer, there a single object.  It just that your independant object layer are both linked to the same file external file.  If that singel external files is changed both smart object layers will get updataed at some time.  You object need to be embedded,  an embedded file copy not a link to an external file.,

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can unlink a smart object by rasterizing it.  Try doing this:

Activate your Smart Object, and  then go to:

Layer > Smart Objects > Rasterize

Make sure you have made a copy of the file before doing this just in case this is not what you want.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2018 Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! This is so helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input. It really helped!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Straight forward and making it simple when PS always does the opposite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Incidentally, there is a tutorial Video and Text at this link:

<Work with Smart Objects in Photoshop >

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also trying to achieve this. I have 3 PSB files all linked to one and the same image. When I change the image in one, all others are switched as well. But I want to have the three PSB files as containers independant from each other with different images. How can I retain the PSB files but have them contain different images without the psb files syncronising. Doesn't Photoshop have an "unlink" option? Rasterizing is not an option, as I need to retain the psb as a container... Thanks for anyone with a solution...

**UPDATE** I just converted each psb to "Smart Object", that did the trick. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've discovered another fix for this, though it does take a bit of time. I have a bunch of linked .psb Smart Objects that I can't rasterize because I still need them to be editable, and I also can't convert them to Smart Objects because they are skewed at a certain angle, and converting them skews them permanently. However, I discovered that if you Save As, rename the file to something slightly different, and then Copy + Paste in Place each layer (with any attached masks), it creates a new unlinked layer. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a new work around

1) Select the smart object layer you wanted to unlink.

2) Right Click > New Smart Object via Copy.

Now you will be having wo layers one smart oject and a copy of it.

3) Delete the previous smart object (which was already present).

4) Double click on the smart object copy. Change your desired image. Save.

Now check the result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else have an issue where unlinking the Smart Object rotates the canvas view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2023 Jul 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I feel your frustration which landed me here. Just came across this issue today when I wanted to duplicate the effects I created on a font and found when I copied and pasted the psb that it would update all the psbs in the image. The quickest way to fix it when you have many duplicates is to right-click the image and select revert to layers. It then automatically groups that image in folder. You can then reconvert it back to smart image, and it will now be separate from the file you copied it from.

Ideally, however, if you are starting from scratch, the next time you copy a smart image and don't want it to be connected to the original, right-click and select "New smart image from copy" and then the layer will be independent from the original. 

You're welcome!

Have a great day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines