Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update Latest or in Order?

Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

When I go to my Creative Cloud Account, I can see two PhotoShop Update buttons.  One is for PS V20.0.8, the other for PS V21.1.1.   Do I have to Update each in order, ie: V20 before V21?  OR, can I just update the latest version only, ie: V21 and know it's all encompassing?

Thanks,

Ruth

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 22, 2020 Mar 22, 2020

They are independent versions and independent updates. You have them both installed and they can each be opened irrespective of the other.

That said, if you plan to update both, then yes, run them in version order. V20 first, V21 last. This has to do with file associations. Whatever you update last will take over your file associations.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are independent versions and independent updates. You have them both installed and they can each be opened irrespective of the other.

That said, if you plan to update both, then yes, run them in version order. V20 first, V21 last. This has to do with file associations. Whatever you update last will take over your file associations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.  

I took a gamble and just updated the V21 application.  When I open PS, it shows that I'm using that version.  So what do I do about the V20 that is still showing an update button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're not having issues with V21, then uninstall the older version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But again, don't mess up the file associations. Do it in this order:

uninstall v21

uninstall v20

reinstall v21

Yes, I know...that shouldn't be necessary. But the latest install/uninstall activity determines how associations are set, no matter what that activity is. Any version installer is unaware of later versions that didn't exist when that installer was written.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did as you suggested. It worked fine.  I'm now up to date.  Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

R.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines