• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Uploading RAW photos into PS

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE HELP:) Newbie to PS.  Have downloaded PS 2020, Creative Cloud, Camera Raw on desktop.   I cannot seem to get my raw images from Photos or my desktop into PS.  They always go directly into PS as Jpeg files and not into Adobe Camera Raw?  I format them as Photoshop. What am I  doing wrong?

Do I also need to download Bridge? thought I read it's part of PS so didn't need to?  

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, first things first:

Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) is installed as an integral part of Photoshop. Whenever you open a raw file, it opens automatically and directly into ACR. ACR is a Photoshop plugin module, which opens as its own separate window. From there you can open the processed image into Photoshop.

Keep Photos out of it! It will send jpeg previews to ACR/Photoshop, not the original raw file, defeating the whole purpose. You open raw files directly, either from your file browser, or from Bridge which is Adobe's own file browser. Either will do. Just double-click it.

Photoshop cannot open raw files directly, that's why the ACR plugin is there. A raw file needs to be processed first, then the processed RGB file can be opened by Photoshop.

I don't know what you mean by "format them as Photoshop", but whatever it means, don't do it. Just double-click the raw file. That's all you need to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you D_Fosse!

Ok, I downloaded Bridge.  Seems I can download images off my camera reader into Bridge but if I've already put the photos into my "Photos" app on my Mac, can I bring them into Bridge from there or does it have to be from the reader directly?  Can I get the photos in "Photos" into Bridge?

Not sure what you mean by opening the raw file from my "file browser?"  How do I do that?

Is the most efficient way for photo editing- opening the raw photos one photo at a time into Bridge to process?

Or is it best to download all the photos taken and choose the ones to process?

(I obviously won't bother editing all the photos, just some.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>>>Not sure what you mean by opening the raw file from my "file browser?"  How do I do that?

On your Mac, you would use Finder to find the Raw files on your hard drive. Then double click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I've already put the photos into my "Photos" app on my Mac"

I never used Mac but most likely your photos are in some folder not in Photos app. Bridge can see photos in folder so just navigate to that folder in Bridge, no need to download again photos from card.

"Is the most efficient way for photo editing- opening the raw photos one photo at a time into Bridge to process?"

Not sure what you want to ask but you can open multiple photos in ACR from Bridge. Select all photos that you want to edit then press ACR icon in Bridge or press Ctrl/Cmd + R keyboard shortcut.

Usually photographers are downloading all photos from card then evaluating and filtering them in apps like Bridge. You can easily delete photos from Bridge at any time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I've already put the photos into my "Photos" app on my Mac"

As I said, don't do that. Keep Photos out of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you go to ~/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary > Show Package Contents > Masters you should be able to see the RAW files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines