• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upscaling and sharpening a noisy image

New Here ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an older image that was shot at 800 ISO on a 12MP Nikon D300.  There is a fair amount of noise on the raw photo, but when I reduce it in Lightroom, there is too much loss of detail.  I want to upscale the image so that I can print 13x19 at 360 dpi on my Epson P600 (if I don't upscale it Epson will, and I like to be in control.  I have used "preserve details 2" with great results, but I am not sure how it will work with a noisy image.  And I never know how much noise reduction to use.  Anyone have any advice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi check this photoshop video hope it helps you....regards

https://youtu.be/NS_VnfrmfGs

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Reduce noise filter in Photoshop does a much better job with preserving details than Lightroom's noise reduction.

There is also a Reduce noise option in Preserve details 2.0, but I have never tried it.

A 12 MP image will print at around 220 ppi at 13 x 19, so I suggest that you try printing it without upscaling first.

I'm not familiar with the Epson P600, but my 9880 never does any upscaling, so may be there's a setting in the printer driver for your printer.

If you don't mind sharing the raw file on Dropbox or similar, I could take a look at it, and maybe give you some suggestions for noise reduction and sharpening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Per: print it as it is. 220 is plenty. But most importantly - upscaling will make the noise look very ugly, more like fuzzy blobs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Technically, the Epson driver will scale an image internally and I've proved this to be the case with fine lined test images. At 180ppi, 360ppi and 720 ppi I could not see any scaling artifacts. At other resolutions e.g 359 or 361 ppi, I could. This suggested that internally the driver scales to 360/720ppi

However - those results were with test images designed specifically to highlight any scaling. With real world images I can see no practical difference whether I scale in Photoshop or just send the image sized without resampling and let the driver handle it internally.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I wasn't aware of this scaling. But then I always print at 180 or 360 ppi.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey Jake, is a disclosure in order?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines