• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Use of AI in Photoshop?

Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could have sworn I saw a news story in the past few weeks about Adobe and AI to increase image resolution, but I didn't save it where I should haveand nowcan't seem to find anythng via Google?  Is this a thingnow- increaing resolution with AI in Photoshop?  

THX

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, as soon as I posted this question, I found the article:

https://www.cnet.com/news/adobe-photoshop-uses-ai-to-quadruple-your-photos-size/

I'd love some better instructions for how to use this tool.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has been making more use of machine learning for enlargements over the past few years. This week’s new Super Resolution (Enhance command) improves on an earlier Enhance Details command added in 2019, that was also AI-powered. So if you were reading about something like this more than a few weeks ago, it might have been about the older one.

Last fall Adobe added the Neural Filters to Photoshop, which is a category of AI-powered filters, and include the Super Zoom resolution enhancer. But Super Zoom only enhances a small portion of the image, so it’s not as useful as the new Super Resolution in Camera Raw.

So yes, they are trying to use and improve on AI-powered enlargement in various ways, in Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes Contrad, this Supr Resolution is exactly whatI was talking about.  But I'm still a little lost about howto use it. 

So I have a iPhone photo in my Photos app.  It opens directly in Photoshop, when I use Photoshop Open command.  I'm not clear how to open the image in Camera Raw instead of in Photoshop, or once open in Photoshop, how to use Super Resolution.

THX!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your iPhone photo is not raw (e.g. it’s a JPEG), the answer to your question is that it is possible to edit non-raw images in Camera Raw, so if your iPhone image is JPEG, you can do it that way after changing a setting in Camera Raw preferences. I posted about how to do that in another thread on this forum, and the rest of that thread should help you find where it is (the Enhance command on the options menu).

Super Resolution is primarily intended for raw images because that’s the stage where it provides the best results — when it’s applied to image data that is not yet converted from raw to RGB. That’s why they put it in Camera Raw and not in Photoshop itself.

In Photoshop, the Filter > Camera Raw Filter command lets you apply Camera Raw as a filter for a selected layer, that’s not really a solution here because Adobe doesn’t make Super Resolution available when Camera Raw is used as a layer filter in a Photoshop document. Adobe makes Super Resolution available only if you open the image directly into Camera Raw (from Photoshop or Bridge).

For the future, another way to do it is to have the iPhone save raw images. The Lightroom camera app is one of several apps that can do this; it produces a DNG raw format image. Those open right up in Camera Raw or Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines